Cornell

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Cornell

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Before I make a blog posting about anything, I want to make one thing abundantly clear. I have exactly one expectation about the rest of the season right now, and that’s the expectation that we beat Cornell. I don’t care if we give up 1000 yards and win the game 60-59, or Shaf throws 9 interceptions and the rest of the team fumbles the ball away 6 times and we win 6-3. Win one damn game. There should be one goal right now, and that’s beating Cornell.

Cornell is a winnable game, and Lehigh needs to win a game. It is up to this group to find a way to win it.

Miller
    Participant

I think winning each week usually is the goal. If our D gives up 1000 yards and 59 points to a team that averages under 10 points and 217 yards a game, what do you do then? On the bright side, Cornell only passes for 134 yards a game so far this season. I know many are saying THAT number will go up this week……
    Lehigh-24
    Cornell-20
    in a nail biter

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yup,record is what it is. All our bitching changes nothing. Gotta root for the next win. The team and us have to point to the next game.

TheCobbler
    Participant

Posted this over the summer. Was criticized then for being negative, but that’s a whole different issue. I think we’d all take this scenario now…

“Brutal schedule to start the season. JMU, UNH, Yale, will very likely be 0-3. Never know how a team reacts to that, especially a team that has never been in that type of situation before.

I’m going to lower my expectations this year and say 4-7. Lucky to win 8 games last year (Cent Conn, Princeton, UNH, Monmouth; lose any 2 of these and last year was a 6-5 season). Rather be happy with a 6-5 season than expect 7-4 and be disappointed with 6-5.

JMU – loss
    UNH – loss
    Yale – loss
    Monmouth – 50/50
    Bucknell – win
    Cornell – 50/50
    Fordham – loss
    Georgetown – win
    Holy Cross – 50/50
    Colgate – 50/50
    Lafayette – loss…”

My point is, if you were looking at this season realistically, this wasn’t difficult to see coming. Nothing other than ‘we’re Lehigh, we’re always good’ would have led you to believe this team would win 7 or 8 games this year. Every program has a bad season once in a while; see Towson, East Illinois & UPenn to name a few. The fact most of the guys making plays are Fr or Soph (Pelletier, Shafnisky, Leigh, Yosha on Off; Ripanti and Leaks the few plays made on D) is encouraging for the future.

holyloch61
    Participant

Cobbler I agree with you 100% . This team also has played through many injuries mainly in the offence 3 new offensive linemen would hinder any team ,lose of maybe the fastest receiver KNOTT has not helped . But as you stated very young team learning how to play together as a team . Now what is needed is a great incoming class of freshmen .Bigger linemen ,faster and taller wide receivers ,bigger and faster linebackers and BETTER defensive backs .Also maybe a change in some coaching and more innovation and more imagination in plays and play calling .

Miller
    Participant

The class you described 61, is probably the same class they have trying to recruit over the last 3 years.Remember,very few freshman play,so lets start with what we already have. The O line is plenty big, and doing well with all the injuries. Give Sawyer credit.Right now,our biggest/heaviest D lineman are all Fr/So, ranging 250-270. They all need 10-15 pounds of muscle put on during off season. There is young talent,and a D line averaging 270lbs next year would be a great start in turning that side of the ball around(along with a few scheme changes)

holyloch61
    Participant

Miller I do agree with you on the O line playing well even with injuries but they are not the STARTING LINEMEN ,which does make a difference .There is a new center who is not a regular center but was a guard . If you have seen any of the games you will see many of his centers to the QB are high or low or to either side of the QB . This little delay throws the whole timing of the play off especially on running plays .I am not trying to fault any player because it is hard to step into a new position and like I said I still think they are doing a good job .The running game was going very well up until the YALE game when most of the injuries occurred .Since that game every part of the play on the field has suffered .As for next years freshman class I realize LEHIGH has higher STANDARDS in class room work than some of the other schools ,but the coaching staff maybe has to try harder to recruit bigger and faster guys .

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I think winning each week usually is the goal. If our D gives up 1000 yards and 59 points to a team that averages under 10 points and 217 yards a game, what do you do then? On the bright side, Cornell only passes for 134 yards a game so far this season. I know many are saying THAT number will go up this week……
    Lehigh-24
    Cornell-20
    in a nail biter

That’s not the point. Of course the goal is to win, but to win, it can’t happen being distracted by anything else but figuring out how to win against Cornell. Lehigh isn’t good enough to mail in a win against anyone. It’s time to learn how to win, and whether it’s a beautiful win or an ugly win, this team needs to be taught after a win, not a loss. It’s critical.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Valid point. Players much more receptive coaching after a win. Focus has to be on this week not wallowing in the past.

Miller
    Participant

LFN, I’ll take the ugly win. That way, many can continue to rip and complain. It’s not often we get 5 pages of post. But you are right, an ugly win is as good or better than bad sex, or how ever that saying goes.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by  Miller.
    hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Miller,
    I think that it’s an ugly win is like bad sex. I would be happy with both this weekend. ;-)

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Well said Hawk !

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Who wants to guess on how many total yards Cornell gets?

My bold prediction/guess: 300, with a Lehigh win. I like 24-20, Miller. I’ll go 28-24 LU

All bets are off against Fordham. Does the NCAA have a running clock like high school when the score gets out of hand?

LehighGuy
    Participant

To bad the Fordham game is FAMILY DAY! Lehigh will be exposed to the masses.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.