DePaul – Game 5

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball DePaul – Game 5

This topic contains 32 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  norcalfan 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Engineer86
    Participant

Completely agree. That said, this team need that win badly. I do think this team will be good later in the year and very good next year.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

For those who missed it, the replay started on Fox Sports 1, just now at 10:30 est.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks Jim,just annoyed everybody by switching to game:)

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

It’ll be over by NFL time…..

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Great to get the first win of the year and especially over a power conference team, but as has been stated, Depaul is bad.They are ranked behind all four of our previous opponents in the computer rankings. Hope that the win gives the team some confidence and they can close out some more games. Glad to hear Reed pushing CS to be more aggressive and he got on the team about slow starts.

The turnovers and fouls continue to be a major problem though. I know Kahron and AP are often two of the slightest guys on the floor, but that doesn’t mean they can just push/grab/hold and not get called for a foul. Those two really need to be smarter/more disciplined about fouls. Even when the offense was flowing in the second half, occasionally someone would just float a super soft telegraphed pass for an easy turnover. It seems much more mental (not valuing possessions) than it does physical.

Let’s hope the squad can roll this into some momentum heading into PL. Sticking with the goal of a first division finish in the league as the barometer.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

First step. Now a game with less than double digit TOs. We do that more often than not,top half of PL.

norcalfan
    Participant

Well, Well, Well. I received a notice on my phone that LU is playing DePaul. We stopped everything and tuned in. We got a win! How is this team 0-4 before this win? The confidence on the floor was mind blowing.

When was the last time LU beat a Big East Team? Looks good for the team and certainly made their Thanksgiving an enjoyable one.

Go LU!

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Last time LU beat a Big East team was 2008 at Rutgers. A great time to get the youngsters some confidence in their game, but more importantly, develop some good chemistry on the floor. There are some very good ingredients on the floor and bench, but they need some time to ‘cook’

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

They are meshing more.Not going anywhere til we control unforced TOs. We are not going to shoot the lights out every game.JG has to get more minutes.

LU65
    Participant

Welcome back, Corey.
    Glad to see you “call your own number,” Captain. The results are evident (see below). Your senior leadership is welcomed and needed.

DePaul Game

17 Points – Career High
    6 for 9 overall
    3 for 5 from deep
    2 for 2 from the line
    5 Boards
    3 Assists

Season Total

FG%: .500 (top guard)
    3FG%: .500 (team high)
    FT%: 1.000 (share team high)

Other Quick Observations

MS:

In a pressure-packed game (given the start hours before game time and played before family and hometown friends), Miles steps up to prove – what many expected anyway – he’s a viable alternative to K. Ross at the Point when the latter struggles as he has thus far in two games, i.e., Canisius and DePaul.

AP:

When he’s hot, he’s incredible hot as he was on Wednesday. When he’s cold, you thank goodness for CS at the “2.”. Now if only we could iron-out his Yo-Yo shooting performance. Games 1, 3, and 5: .667 FG%, including a 4 for 4 vs. DePaul. Games 2 and 4: .167 FG%. Careless Personal Fouls also cut deep into minutes. Needs attention. Once addressed, the AP/CS or CS/AP shooting guard combo should rise to the top in PL play.

JG:

Energetic and spirited. Best game of the year with spotless 5 for 5 shooting, 5 boards and 2 blocks. That makes it two in a row after a shaky three to start the year. Deserving of the increased minutes. Perhaps 20 should be his target low. Thankful for his blocks yet still worried about the paltry “guard-like” rebound number of 3.2 boards/game.

Turnovers:

Subject beaten to death but deservingly so. 84 in 5 games or 27 more than opponents yielding on average 20+points/game to our opponents. Imagine what our record might be! When it comes to stealing the ball or should I say losing the ball via a steal while on offense, we give it up on a whopping 13.5% of our offensive possessions. That’s worse in the PL and ranks 328th in D-1.

As for Game 5.5 or

Penn State Mont ALTO

, I cannot bring myself to publishing an overview of this game. Our team and player performances will not be reflected, of course, in D-1 stats going forward. My only hope is that our reserves get plenty of playing time – both as a reward for their day-in/day-out work in practice and in the event Reed calls upon them down the road.
    Next real game is against St. Fancis (PA). It’ll be contested at Stabler on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd.

toddcudd
    Participant

Hear, hear! Hopefully just a few minutes of run for the regulars to build a lead and stay loose. My main interest lies in first looks at TJ, JRG, and KM.

TMH
    Participant

Ironically, Navy has also played a Penn State branch campus, recently defeating Penn State-Harrisburg.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Scanning PL boards. All are afraid of TK. Justified IMO. AP and JC need to mature. Consensus we’re potentially dangerous but not real good yet. Next year tho ,we will be.
    Cant disagree with opinions,altho hopeful we put it together for PL.

TMH
    Participant

CS had a great game but I think we would be fooling ourselves if we expect that every game. He needs to become Mr. Consistency again. If he gives me 10 pts with 3 or 4 rebounds and assists each game, I would be delighted. Hopefully the Depaul game will be the confidence catalyst to do just that. TK has actually been our most consistent player. 4 double/doubles in 5 games is very impressive. So far, he is following along the same trajectory as MM and doing it from a higher base. Staying out of major foul trouble so far has been a big reason.

Interestingly, we have outplayed our opponents statistically at every phase of the game except TO/steals.

We are essentially even with our opponents in rebounding this year in no small part due to TK raising his production from 7 to 10/game. There is still room for improvement. A long time ago I posted a picture of then recruit Lexi Martins boxing out during a game. It was picture perfect. Arms out, butt back, knees bent, eyes on the ball.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchester/irvington-fends-off-ursuline-1.1289472

I had forgotten about that picture until I watched a video recap of the women”s team win over St. Peters

http://www.lehighsports.com/news/2014/11/25/WBB_1125141329.aspx

At he 1:00 mark, she shows the same technique. Lexi who is 6-0 or the equivalent of 6-6 in the men’s game, is averaging 18.3 ppg and 11.5 rpg in only 26 min/game. If our bigs master that technique, Lehigh suddenly becomes a dominant rebounding team IMHO. Just my opinion.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Classic style. Agree,boxing does not seem to be a staff priority tho.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.