Early Signing Day

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Early Signing Day

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    van
    van
    Participant

nice size on Mickens, here’s hoping he is the next RS or TP

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Hope so. But, Dambach more likely I think. A 4.5/40 3 sport athlete.
    Both are good if not at TO’s level yet.
    Falcone is a faster version of Drawl. Tough W Pa player who catches in a crowd.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Surprised to read that Casey could be a medical redshirt. I cannot recall him missing a year due to injury. If true, that is a heck of a shot in the offensive arm and all the more reason to focus on defense.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Freshman year for GatlinChuck thinks its possible. I really dont.
    Guess Andy will add bodies on D. Sanguine about any actual help from them. If the math is right Andy said we had 13 schollies. We signed 13 players most of whom are full rides.

van
    van
    Participant

who was #13?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Deshun Mickens WR from Va

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Here’s my take on the commit list so far:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/12/lehigh-inks-12-on-early-signing-day-and.html

A few questions for discussion.

1. Fordham got one recruit that was in our backyard: DB Jaden Vazquez, out of Liberty HS. Anyone know the story there? Did Forhdam beat Lehigh in recruiting in this case? Granted DB was not a massive need area for this year, but hate to see a guy recruiting off of Lehigh’s doorstep.

2. As a Lehigh fan, I know I want more defenders, but I’m also confused as to how many to get, where. Right now there are eight LBs on the roster, we have 1 committed to this class, and 3 will be seniors next year (and I don’t know if any can medical redshirt). If we are running a 4-2-5 going forward, this is probably an adequate number. But if we are going back to a 3-3-5 or switching a 4-3, we probably need more LBs, or convert some DE to LB or a S to LB.

3. I was a bit surprised on the emphasis on WR. I know we lose one (and very likely two) of the greatest WR in school history (Pelletier and Casey), but I also saw WR as in very good hands with Bibbens, Portorreal and Richardson, for years to come. I mean, I LOVE having more great WR – in many ways, Lehigh is Wideout U. But I was surprised to see so many on there.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

1. We didnt recruit him.
    2.Excess LBs strewn around roster at DE and TE. The 3 sophs Slater Norris and Hafner all have good size and Norris specifically s/b a starter. A definite weak point performance wise last year. Walker only 1 who stood out IMO
    3.ALso somewhat surprised. Must add Christiano to returnees. Dambach and Mickens bring us height lacking on current roster. Dambach faster than TP. Falcone also fast but an ideal inside and middle receiver. Tough hard nosed player. A faster Drwal.
    The elephant in the room is the split between O and D in this class. Other than a couple of OL there were no immediate needs on O. D needs DL which is very thin and wasnt at all good last year.
    We can posit various reasons for D performance. Think we’ve hit all of them on this board. :). Bottom line, no matter why, our D was terrible all year. Is it coaching, talent, inexperience?? Hell, I dont know. Maybe all of the above.

van
    van
    Participant

3 SR WRs, assuming no redshirts, 3 WR recruits just keeps up the numbers, now why we would carry more WRs than DL I don’t get that

buck
    Participant

Egg timer slow.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

One possible reason regarding the Liberty WR is that admissions may not have been on board. Fordham has the lowest AI in the PL, which has many times impeded out ability to go after a number of very good players AND who were very good students, but whose overall academic numbers did not meet requirements. I know first hand that we have actually been prevented from going after some regional hs players who were later admitted and played for Penn.

TMH
    Participant

I’m not so sure that “being in our backyard” is quite the advantage that it used to be. Speaking from experience, it may even be a disincentive.
    Today’s teens want to experience truly being on their own. They know no boundaries in their pursuit of colleges. Ideally though, they prefer being far enough away from home to exert their independence but close enough to stay in touch with family and friends. That is probably why we do well in New Jersey and the Philadelphia region in many sports.

Just my opinion. Merry Christmas everyone!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Recruiting Dead period ends today. While we dont have much room left, I expect we’ll see some activity over the next few weeks. Hopefully with a few big tough DL to add to Rybka and Laurencelle.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Question: OK — we have X-number of full athletic rides.

Can we bring in “walk-ons” with need-based money?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

At present PL allows 3 true WOs that dont count vs caps. Recruited WOs, usually reffed to ad PWOs, do count against both.So whatever need aid any might get counts vs 60 max.
    Recruited has a specific definition in NCAA rules.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.