Fan Base

This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  LU65 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

lehigh90
    Participant

Just saw an old Morning Call article about the basketball team playing a game against Hofstra in Grace Hall during the 1984 season. It said it was the first time the team had played in Grace in 5 years. That would be 1979, when, I think, Stabler was built. I know it was recently renovated, so I am sure it would be a great small venue. Nothing like college basketball in a packed sweaty gym. If it held 1,500 to 2,000 for basketball, that is all you would need. 900 in that venue would at least give you some atmosphere and a home court advantage. Maybe do what schools like Villanova do, play your smaller games on campus (like DuPont Pavillion) then your bigger conference games off campus (for Nova Wells Fargo Ctr).

With wrestling and woman’s volleyball there, you would have to work around the other programs for scheduling, but you could certainly turn it around quickly for multiple events.

LU65
    Participant

Allow me to quote and at other times paraphrase Rich Hass, our Ticket Manager when he reports……………

"Grace is not a viable option for basketball games. It is a great practice facility, however, one which our teams do use periodically for convenience and the 6 baskets it offers."

Lower level seating is not possilbe when a full court is employed.
    All seating would be in the endzones.
    Also believe a bit short of the required 94 feet.
    Little room on the sidelines for scorer’s table and press.
    Spectators upstairs would have their view cut as action went to far end of the court.

Sorry.

LU65
    Participant

RE: Double-header wrestling/basketball

Sorry again, it’s been thought of and deemed not feasible. Source tell me that it would take well over an hour (probably close to 90 minutes) to reconfiguer court (wrestling to basketball). Then, there’s the required warm-up time for the players. Needless to say, few fans are likely to sit it out. Could sell a lot of hot dogs, I guess, but don’t count on it happening.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.