November 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm #4038
Overseas for both out home-opener against Quinnipiac on 11/28 and the follow-up contest against Fordham on 12/1. Here’s hoping someone posts Game Notes and comments/observations based on eye-witness or video-scene accounts. Anxious to read. GO LU!December 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm #4075
Once again in honor of LU65, here is a link to the game notes:
http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/wo … /46492.PDF
I live in Brooklyn, so I’ll be heading up to the Bronx after work to take this one in live. Pretty excited as I didn’t get to the St. John’s game and I haven’t seen the team play in person in a few seasons. Anyone else planning on attending?
– This is definitely a winnable game on the road. Fordham was picked dead last in the A-10 preaseason poll, yet they won at Stabler last year. Hopefully the squad comes out fired up for some payback.
– Chris Gaston is a real player. He was picked 2nd team all A-10 and is already over 1,000 points as a junior. In last year’s game he has 18 points on 8-14 shooting and had 20 rebounds. How does LU deal with him this year?
– This game serves as a guage as to how the team has improved since last year. They certainly seem to be a more mature team, both physically and mentally, and beating Fordham on the road (after losing at home last year) would further prove that.December 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm #4076
I’m in Bklyn also. If I can close up shop early ( Freeport) will drive over to the Bronx. Last time at Rose Hill was the Penders, Charlie Yelverton days. :shock:December 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm #4078
You guys should have a good night. Looking forward to a report. I have heard Rose Hill is an awesome old gym. Hopefully, they get a good crowd tonight, although it looks like they have been playing to less than half full crowds. Fordham will be tough. They haven’t lost at home so far, but have been bad on the road. Not easy matchups for Lehigh on paper. I spoke to someone who saw Colgate play at Fordham (‘Gate lost by 10), so I got a very brief scouting report.
1) Gaston is a stud. Most guys who come out of St. Anthony’s are. At 6’7" he is going to be a very tough cover for Lehigh. Too quick for Knutson to cover, and he is going to be long for Hamilton or Greiner to match up with. That is probably the key to the game.
2) Apparently, Fordham has two small quick freshman guards, both around 6 feet. Smith is one and McMillan the other. That is also going to be a tough defensive assignment for Lehigh. Mackey can play one, but who matches on the other is a question mark. I would think you will need to see CJ or Bailey match up with one of them, as they are probably to quick for anyone else off the dribble. Schaefer could struggle on the defensive end with that assignment. Lehigh will need to control penetration into the paint.
I don’t know if Gaston is more of a wing scorer or a low block scorer, but if he scores in the paint, and Lehigh has trouble guarding the perimeter penetration, will Reed try to clog up the middle and play some zone? Usually freshman guards are not great shooters to bust zones. It would seem like a game Reed may have to adjust out of his typical man to man. Or, perhaps run a box and one on Gaston, if he is a wing scorer. I don’t love Reed in a chess match type game. I give Tom Pecora the edge there.December 2, 2011 at 12:57 am #4087
FYI game is free on fordhamsports.com.
ROugh shooting half, mackey two foul first half again, down 1 at half.December 2, 2011 at 1:10 am #4088
And mackey picks up his 3rd in first 60+ seconds of 2nd, pulled for CS…December 2, 2011 at 1:11 am #4089
Not to nitpick, but A10 school free video and we charge 6.95 for lu vs quinnipiac…free vid may increase fan base!!December 2, 2011 at 1:11 am #4090
Greiner leading way so far with a nice 3 and driving lay up in 2nd half.December 2, 2011 at 1:13 am #4091
greiner again, deep 3, there is no hesitation on his relesae…his confidence level is so high man.December 2, 2011 at 1:17 am #4092
gabe with two nice buckets from down low, and greiner another bomb…..up 7 now…with 12:13 to go…December 2, 2011 at 1:23 am #4093
7 straight from Fordham….cj keeps missing outside J’s, and AD comes in and pumps up one off balance 3 and one wide open 3, both misses badly..tied game with 10+ left.December 2, 2011 at 1:31 am #4094
up 5 under 8…December 2, 2011 at 1:49 am #4095
UP 14 2:20 left, 6 in a row for LU…AD had a nice couple possessions, Gabe solid presence down low, greiner again with a nice baseline drive.
Amazing how team can win, by good margins, on the road when CJ has really off night…depth baby depth.December 2, 2011 at 2:00 am #4096
78-60 final, it is over, 6-2 for LU baby.
CJ 4 for 16 rough night, but gabe and holden had huge nights. Nice having a big that can shoot FTs in knutson.December 2, 2011 at 2:04 am #4097
mackey in double figures is nice to see in limited minutes with some nice FTs down stretch.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.