From Ivy Voy board: FB scholarships apparently done deal?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football From Ivy Voy board: FB scholarships apparently done deal?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by van van 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Great news if true. As shown with wrestling and basketball, by going to merit scholarships the academic performance of both teams improved markedly. The Title IX impact will not effect Lehigh as much as Lafayette and Bucknell, which have more women than men undergrads (or very close to even). Therefore, money being used for scholarships in football, must also be equalized for women’s sports. This should certainly help recruiting as others have noted. We’ll still have some hurdles other schools don’t, i.e. the academic index as well as non-redshirting (except for medical grant), but it will lead to a more competitive league against the CAA/NEC/SoCon/MVC and OVC.

carney2
    Participant

"van" wrote: This has been reported on the Lafayette board for several weeks now. Apparently Dr Weiss informed the faculty the the PL now had enough votes to approve scholarships. Not sure when this goes into effect or what the details are.

The Lafayette board is considering this a done deal based on reliable sources. The official announcement will apparently come in June, with implementation effective with the next recruiting class (2013). Details are not available and will probably include many "school-by-school" elements to appease Georgetown and other foot draggers.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I am relying on confirmation rec’d from a source at another school in addition to Pard Board. IF it happens , I expect a "smoke if you got’em approach". Not much can be done for hoyas except perhaps a phase in period limiting NEW schollies to a certain number per yr ( as opposed to conversion of some partial need packages to full schollie) on some kind of increasing scale.

van
    van
    Participant

As I see it, we would only need a handful of non-need based scholarships each year anyway. I don’t see us recruiting a lot of different students than we already get. 3 or 4 of the "ones that got away" each year is the scholarship difference, IMO.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.