FULMAR GONE

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football FULMAR GONE

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

GO
    Double checked. LU huys rings. Partnership helps with banquet.
    Gear. A big deal about gear. Asked a bunch of players. Not a big deal to them.
    Agree on stadium upgrades. Construction tho is controlled by University not the AD.. Goodman needs an updated scoreboard.now.
    Lights would be great but cost seems a big isdue. An alum with deep pockets probably the answer.

NJLehighFan
    Participant

If you want gear today you need to have a sponsor. If we told Nike or UnderArmor that we move all Lehigh team uniforms to them and they have our gear contract then we might see some kickback or at least more offerings at more reasonable prices. There must be someone in the Athletic Department that sources gear that can work something out now that we have another PL ring. Problem is we don’t have a big market draw where everyone in Lehigh Valley has at least one piece of Lehigh football gear. Kid I know who is a 3 deep in Big 10 never has the same piece of Penn State apparel on twice and in 2 years got a couple pair of athletic shoes also.

TMH
    Participant

If free gear is the reason for one choosing the college they wish to attend, they are coming here for the wrong reason and probably wouldn’t be a good fit. Just my opinion.

lehighfootballfan67
    Participant

I think we are missing the bigger picture. Why would Folmar take a lateral with all the talent coming his way? The system is broken at the top and we can’t keep good coaches. Brisson was handed amazing WRs. Chatter at tailgates is that he not a great coach and has an attitude with all player interactions and does not treat everyone equally. I was not worried about our offense but now I am. So we have no LBs and a big unknown on how the team will align with an OC that is not a great players coach and picks favorites. Happy New Year…ugh!

richb-1
    Participant

Obviously agree about the stadium, especially lights. But about girls softball, probably the most successful of our Patriot League programs, Why no lights and only 200 seats for the new stadium (same for Baseball)? Could not be talking that much money.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=30395]If free gear is the reason for one choosing the college they wish to attend, they are coming here for the wrong reason and probably wouldn’t be a good fit. Just my opinion.

[/quote]
    +1

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=30397]Obviously agree about the stadium, especially lights. But about girls softball, probably the most successful of our Patriot League programs, Why no lights and only 200 seats for the new stadium (same for Baseball)? Could not be talking that much money.
    Baseball and softball fields are among the best in PL. Seating ? Well kinda agree, altho based on attendance at softball seating is more than enuf. Both facilities are easily expandable if the need arises. Agree on lights tho. And that may boost attendance.
    Goodman does need upgrades beyond a reno job on press box. My hope is for a modern scoreboard first. Perhaps soccer rental could help fund that.
    Lights would be nice. Do get the ROI logic tho that they would only be used a few times a year at best. Still think they are a goid idea even if not ideally fiscal :). The main objection from the Admin is the cost of lighting access and parking for nite games. Permanent lighting would be very costly. Temporary spots however are not expensive. The entire area could be lit for approx $50,000.
    The Admin controls all construction projects. Given the vurrent plan to add a new college and a 1000 undergrads not likely LU will fund much for Athletics. An Alum with deep pockets needs to step forward.:)

[/quote]

TMH
    Participant

richb,
    The listed capacity for Leadership Park (softball) is 280 and Legacy Park (baseball) is 370. I have attended a fair amount of games at both locations and have never had trouble finding a seat, including the playoffs. Both are really nice venues. For baseball, most people forego the bleachers and use folding chairs along the upper ridge so they can continue to tailgate as they watch the games.
    I’m not sure of the need for lights at either location though. They typically go south to open the season due to weather. The first 22 games are in the warm climate. Patriot League play begins March 25 and are all weekend triple headers. The teams want to get home on Sunday and don’t want to play a day game after an evening double header.
    If you consider the fact that there is no admission to be gained in either baseball or softball, the cost of lights are substantially more than the benefits.

richb-1
    Participant

One thing that seems to make sense for Sball, Fball, Bball having lights is lightning. A couple storms passing 5 miles away, and delivering little rain and one of those weekday games is for naught. And almost certainly not made up. Of course that is a disaster when it happens in football.

Lights also gives a shot at hosting PIAA playoffs, which I think is a recruiting positive, but Sterrett is no longer interested in

Anonymous

Think my point got taken in different directions. I was trying to say that I am not just fighting for football. With gender equity nowadays it is important to pump some money where it would be most beneficial. Although I am a big fastpitch fan, I do like the girls facility. I think the biggest revenue maker like most colleges is football and basketball. All other sports across 98 percent of colleges cost Universities money. Lets place some money in football. If we get one big game per year it could fund a lot of the athletic budget. College sports is all about money!!! I truly feel that Lehigh is a stepping stone for coaches. Nobody’s destination coaching is Lehigh. Great school and great campus but lets get real. Better gear and nicer stuff projects well to other kids. Folmar obviously got paid more to make a lateral move. Kids do pick schools of how well they are treated during visits and stuff the other kids tell them the team supplies. Maybe that is the wrong kid for Lehigh but it is what kids are migrating too nowadays. I think Brisson is going to do great for Lehigh because he is approachable and he sticks to his style. Very hard to do nowadays with todays athlete. If you piss these kids off they leave. Brisson doesn’t care and I do not think the offense will miss a beat. I do think there will be some great battles on offense for slot,tight end, one oline job and qb. Coaches have a tendency to play kids they recruit. Don’t know who Brisson brought in compared to Folmar but just having open jobs is what Lehigh needs. Better STUFF will bring in some of the street kids we need. We are soft!!!Coaches should not treat kids equally. Great coaches reward the hard workers and the kids that are continuing to work at there game and fade out the slackers. THIS IS D1 FOOTBALL. NO GIMMES. EARN IT EVERYDAY AND IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING,GET OUT!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gear is not an issue for kids. Should not be for us. Accessories are neat and a number of teams have them. Certainly would be nice for players . But it falls way down any priority list for LU football.
    Lehigh and every other PL school are rarely destinations for football coaches.. We are all too small to compete monetarily with State schools. Not to mention FBS schools.
    It is the nature of thus level of football. So what. It is not likely to change any time soon. IMO I would rather have an young good coach on hus way up for 3 or 4 years than a mediocrr coach for a career.

hawktalker
    Participant

Why does everyone think Folmar’s move is lateral?
    CAA is the best conference in the FCS. Isn’t Elon where Lembo left Lehigh for? Then Ball State and he’s now a Big 10 assistant. Elon appears to be a launching pad for coaches. Trisciani, former Lehigh assistant is leaving Nova to become DC at Elon

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not really. Lembo pre CAA. CAA is indeed the premier conference in FCS. Elon is with URI at the bottom. Cignetti will buikd a program I dont doubt. Good enough to challenge top of CAA. Not likely. JMU UNH UR would have to implide. Elon in a good yr will be a mid pack team. Folmar will give them a dangerous O once he gets a QB and some skill players. So hopefully wont hurt his career. To compete Elon needs to become Wofford.

TMH
    Participant

Is there any college that hosts a PIAA football playoff game. I honestly don’t know of any. They certainly wouldn’t if there is any chance of playing the following day. Lafayette used to host the Easton-Pburg game but that was always a morning game.
    If you are referring to softball/baseball, that’s in June and darkness is not a threat.

van
    van
    Participant

we’ve discussed lights ad nauseam, seriously doubt it will ever happen and there are much better ways to spend that money

if the OC moves to Elon as OC, that is lateral, but there could be many positive reasons to do it and Folmar is still young and no doubt looking to be a HC

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.