Future FBS Opponents

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Future FBS Opponents

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Miller
    Participant

Just Pathetic. Toddcudd you once again post a response to a sport you have zero clue . A spread sheet is nice, but it is apparent football was not on the menu in your past.” Body bag” game???? name just 1! Obviously your dad did not play football either. Please attend a game this year before making judgement. Thanks

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

With a decent to good D and as productive an O, there are no games we cannot win.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Geez M we’re not even to camp and you’re starting with personal attacks. Cut it out. Agree disagree with his opinion. I dont care. If you cant go somewhere else to vent.

TMH
    Participant

Did Miller say something?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yoy’re right TMH. Have to ignore his crap. I’ll try not to let him troll me so easily.

objective observer
    Participant

As for MILLER- guys that usually talk like that – usually don’t understand football

I have watched this site quietly over the past two years! .

There is a lot of criticizing of coaches, and players

Another key to this year’s win total will be if the quarterback can lead- run when needed. and the offensive line stays healthy- SPORTS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE- it is the little things that wins championships

Offense – needs to keep turnovers done- run hard- and the offensive line needs to keep pressure off the quarterback

Defense- cant give up big plays like they have over the last couple of years- they need to keep the receivers in front of them- increase sack total, but pressure on the quarterback, increase turnovers, and finally- TACKLE- which has been poor

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Criticizing and praising coaches and players is part and parcel of all fan boards. Some is over the top some is earned some is just wrong.
    Shaf has shown his ability to lead run. I would prefer if his running was limited to scrambles when needed, an occasional QB draw and sweep pass run options. We have 3 very capable RBs. We have a veteran OL with depth. Duffy’s ankle may be the key for that unit.
    D at times played as a cohesive unit for stretches but never for a whole game. Missed assignments and the inability to finish tackles seem to be main issues in the back. We blamed our CBs a lot for getting toasted. Often deserved but nit always. A lot of those dropped coverages resulted from S failure to pick up the assigned coverage.
    Agree with AndyAndy’s comment that too many of the DBs were not physically ready for the field. The visions pf Fordham ballcarriers running thru tackles is etched in my mind.
    Hopefully, the new donut drills used by the pros will help with technique. Noiticed NcCloskey put on 15 lbs Remond and Jones 10.
    Botts added more blitz packages in Spring. Moving Harvey back outside and bringing Kaufman back can only help at LB. Not to mention getting Barrett and Walker back at Rover. Lambert back at S a bonus. Not a great cover guy but an excellent tackler.
    Talent. Now Botts has to put a cohesive unit on the field in an aggressive scheme that players know and have conftdence in.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I saw Bucknell opens with Temple in 19. Also a H and H with Nova 18 19.
    Had my say , no point in repeating it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

[quote quote=27312]I saw Bucknell opens with Temple in 19. Also a H and H with Nova 18 19.
    Had my say , no point in repeating it.

[/quote]

One problem that Lehigh faces is the fact that outside of Rutgers they have very little history with current FBS schools. If nothing else, Bucknell and Temple have played 44 times which ranks high on both teams “most played lists”. When you look at a lot of current FCS-FBS games around the country there’s more often than not a connection. A lot of time it’s two instate public schools sharing the wealth.

I was shocked to see that Lehigh has played UMass ONLY 6 times, Temple 2x, Virginia 9x, Syracuse 2x.

Double digit games against current FBS schools (Last time two met)
    Rutgers – 74x (1977)
    Penn State – 23x (1942)
    Navy – 21x (1987)
    Army – 11x (1995)
    UConn – 11x (2003)
    Buffalo – 10x (2002)

Outside of the PL teams most of Lehigh’s history is with Penn, Rutgers and Princeton (Delaware would become the main D2/1AA rival later on). Those three were the “big time” schools Lehigh associated with back in the day. Princeton is the only one of those Lehigh has maintained a consistent rivalry with the last 20 years.

Lehigh’s overall list of historical opponents if honestly pretty weak. There’s never been a lot of imagination Ever….

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

[quote quote=27317]Lehigh’s overall list of historical opponents if honestly pretty weak. There’s never been a lot of imagination Ever….[/quote]

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment at all.

The Rutgers Lehigh played so often in the mid-20th century was much more of a peer institution than the “Big 10” school they are today. Even so, I think Penn State and Rutgers would be very high on Lehigh’s lists for an FBS game. Eventually the Big 10 will figure out Penn State and Rutgers scheduling Lehigh is no different “schedule strength”-wise than Penn State and Rutgers scheduling Eastern Michigan, they’ll get guaranteed home games every year, and 99.9% of the time they’ll get a win.

Lehigh nonwithstanding, the other PL schools more had historic rivalries vs. FBS schools more by chance rather than by design. Colgate/Syracuse, Holy Cross/BC, those were established way before the modern era. G’Town/Fordham’s championship contending years were in the 1920s and 30s, an era when Jesuit schools were able to compete with the biggest names in the country.

We can criticize Lehigh’s foot-dragging when it comes to today, but calling the overall historical opponents as “weak”… I disagree. In the 1970s in the brief D-II era, Lehigh scheduled Delaware all the time, which was the biggest school at their level at the time. In the mid-20th century, Lehigh scheduled middle-college opponents like Rutgers, which was common at the time. And when the Patriot League was formed as “non-scholarship”, there were still games vs. Delaware I-A UConn and I-A Buffalo, too.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Why not give Moravian and Muhlenberg and opportunity for a big payday?

Just ruminating …

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Then we would be in the same spot as FBS teams playing down. Neither would be counters for us. Morabian a D III ans Bert would bring a good LV crowd to Goodman. Paydays for them . Sure but not a lot to get their butts stomped.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I was just trying to get everyone stoked.

My recollection is we have a long FB history with Muhlenberg (and maybe even what is now Carnegie Mellon).

We’d never think of playing them; though it might be good for some kids who rarely see the field. (What are we really in this for, anyway?)

And if we were AD at Penn State or Syracuse, would we really want to play Lehigh?

I know it’s different — FCS/FBS vs. FCS/D-III but …

Not looking for an argument, just being a wise guy …

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LOL Not bad.
    I do recall us playing. Aldwin Wallace and losing.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Ditto, RichH. Played several challenging D-III teams in 1970s, maybe into early 1980s. But we were D-II most of that time.

Times have changed …

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.