Game 1: Baylor

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 1: Baylor

This topic contains 41 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

90, when it comes to posts, I think you and 00 offer some truly insightful comments.  But, when you say, “I see Baylor as kind of a throwaway game” and “Nobody expects us to go down to Waco, in front of a raucous band of Baptists, and win.”  I respectfully disagree and in reply would say, “That is, all except: Gabe, Holden, CJ, BJ, and Mackey – the 5 who played a combined 132 minutes of inspired ball against mighty Duke and did it in front of 15,000 fans in enemy territory + and a national TV audience.  Not only did they live to tell about it, they won the damn game.  Stefan, Anthony, Corey, Conroy, Tyrone and Cory saw it with their own eyes.  And, I’m convinced they’re believers in what they witnessed.  Justin and Devon will soon become believer, if they haven’t already done so.   No, I’m not ready to throw this game away and start the season 0-1 in Pittsburgh on Monday.   Will we win today?  Probably not – especially if forced to play with 40% of our starting five dressed in street clothes.  But, it won’t be for lack of effort or for being in awe of the bright lights.

As for Baylor’s big boys, I think it’s important to note, as “Baylor History” began to point out, that Morgan (6’11” and 275) didn’t play last year.  In fact, by my count, he hasn’t played a meaningful game in over 600 days, ending what was his junior year with 4 pts in 26 minutes against Texas – a game Baylor loss 54-60.  During that campaign, he averaged  3.0ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1 block/game, and topped it off shooting a dazzling .391 from the free throw line.  And for Austin (7’1″ and 270), Gathers (6’8″ and 260), and Rykhuek (6’11” and 230) – all true freshmen – they have combined for 0 minutes and 0 points.   The true scoring threat down low may be Cory Jefferson (6’9″ and 210) who played in 34 games as a reserve power forward last year.  He average 10.5 mpg, recording 3.6ppg, 2.5 rpg, and 1.2 blocks per contest.  By no means am I suggesting Conroy and Justin are any of their equals, but won’t it be fun to watch them go up against such nationally recognized talent.  That said, the backcourt matchup of CJ and Mackey vs. Jackson and Heslip should be worth the price of admission or a few beers at an neighborhood bar that is equipped with Direct TV (Channel 676).  In fact, that’s where I’m headed now.

Deflated and depressed?  No, not really…..just anxious.

Good luck, Guys!

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Stupid question – will this be on any of the Fox College Sports regional stations (FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, etc.)? I get those at home but not the Fox Sports one, I think, that the game will be on.

lehigh90
    Participant

65-

Obviously, the players expect to win the game, or at least I hope they do.  But, when a PL team goes on the road to play a Top 20 team in the nation, I think it is fair to say that “nobody”, meaning every pundit who thinks about college hoops, expects them to win.  Same as nobody expected them to win at Michigan State last year, although they gave them a hell of a scare.  And, “nobody” expected Lehigh to beat Duke.  Although, a few on this board, myself included, picked Lehigh to win, as we liked the matchup where we thought Duke was soft in the frontcourt.  Believe me, my favorite games of the year as these OOC games against big-time programs.  I will root like hell, but I don’t expect us to win it.  Lehigh beating Duke was by far the best game I ever attended in my life, thrilling did not even begin to describe it.  But, in that game, I think a few on this board had a feeling.  For some reason, I don’t have that feeling today.  But, I surely hope I am wrong.  What I mean by a throwaway game, is that it is OOC, and nobody nationally expects us to win.  If you win, it is huge, and if you lose, it’s no big deal as nobody expected us to win, anyway.

One final note in your post about beating Duke in front of 15,000 in Greensboro.  I don’t know the actual announced attendance that day.  I do know the building was mostly empty.  There was one section of Lehigh fans across from the benches, and about 2 sections of Dookies behind the benches.  The rest of the place was very scattered with mostly left over Carolina fans in their Carolina Blue just hanging around.  It was a disgrace if you are a Duke fan to play in an empty arena in Greensboro.  I am sure, after Lehigh won the game, the attendance figures have escalated, as people are probably telling others that they witnessed the game, but if Greensboro holds 19,000 to 20,000, I would put the attendance figure at maybe 6,000, and that may be a stretch.  There were huge sections of empty blue seats that day, although it didn’t take away from the experience.

lehigh90
    Participant

Board-

Anybody in Waco today?  Any sign of GK and BB in shootaround or warmups?

Very curious to see our starting 5 today.  I am hoping to see DC for 20 minutes of action today.  I think he is going to be our next star.

Good luck boys.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Will post lineup. Ihave game on Dish.

LU65
    Participant

90 –

Agree and understand your point.  I guess I was just so damn impressed with the attitude of our  players and the belief they had in themselves knowing that, if they played their game, they could WIN.

As for the Duke attendacne, it was reported in the Box Score to be 16,523.

lfnadmin: Hard to explain but I now see the game listed on FCSC (Fox College Sports Central) orginating on the Fox Sports Southwest Television Network.  Don’t ask me how but I’m on it. Cablevision Channel 405 in Northern New Jersey.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

2 FTs for us. Baylor pregame dunks. Cool.

LU65
    Participant

Brett confirms GK and BJ are out.  Staggers also out.  Return dates not specified.  In pregame interview, Coach tells us that CB will take GK’s spot in the opening lineup and mentions the good work of AD in preseason practice sessions.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Service Electric in the Lehigh Valley has the game on at ch# 166!!!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Truly annoying listening to these announcers.
    Baylor’s ht and wt too much. Gs are quick. Given lineup we have on floor cant complain. More alleyoops. CJ starting to play 2nd half style, scoring not passing. SC nice 3 but Lord he is not a ball handler.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dominated by the bigs. Jackson good but easy night get it to a big for a dunk.
    Conroy is going to be a solid player. JG looked lost on court. Some range by SC . Gs for us pretty good Even AD with his hustle. Without Gabe and BJ we cannot defend big athletic guys. . Was 3 pt shooting by us as bad as I think..
    CJ best player on the court.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 5 months ago by RichH RichH.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Well, that was not very much fun to watch.  Just destroyed in the paint.  Playing SC at the 4 for extended stretches.  That is just not going to work against those 6’10+ athletes Baylor was running out there (I know Reed had no choice in this game with Gabe out, but it was still ugly).  Goldsborough and Carter both seemed to really struggle with the speed of the game.   Mackey played well at stretches but also tended to try to do too much sometimes and turn the ball over.

On a positive note, Schaefer looked really good.  I really like what he brings to the table.  CJ was tremendous and looks like he is even better than last year.

Stat of the night (besides Baylor’s 14 dunks):  LU had 9 assists compared to 28 to Baylor.  Wow.

It will be interesting to see how the team bounces back on Monday.  Really really REALLY hope that BJ and Gabe will be available then.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 5 months ago by StablerBum StablerBum.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.