Game 1: Xavier

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 1: Xavier

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes

Lehigh’s

We await.

Xavier’s

We await.

KenPom Rankings and Prediction

LU 142nd (0-0)
    @
    Xavier 11th *(0-0)

Xavier wins by 17 (83-66)

Around the PL, only Bucknell is seen a winner on opening night as they welcome Manhattan to Lewisburg.

For What it’s Worth

A survey of Xavier Message Board contributors taken a few days ago put the spread at 18.7 in favor of, whom else, the Musketeers. The spreads ranged from 33 (88-55) to 11 (82-71). I can only assume they have never seen TK, KR, and AP play the game of basketball. I’m not saying we’re going to win but believe instead that a single digit point spread at game’s end is just as likely. Last year, it was a 10 point setback up in Syracuse and the year before that an 11 loss to Villanova over in Allentown.

PG Battle – Two of the Nation’s Best

Xavier’s Edmond Sumner (Soph., 6’6” 181 lbs.)
    Selected by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as one of the 20 watch list members for the 2017 Bob Cousy Award, an honor which recognizes the top point guard in men’s college basketball … Preseason First Team All-BIG EAST Conference selection by the league coaches.
    Last Year: FG .397, 3FG .301, FT .727, Asst/G 3.61, TO’s/G 2.10

Vs.

Lehigh’s Kahron Ross (Jr., 5’11” 160 lbs.)
    Named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team Named Ross was also named a first team All-Patriot League honoree last season when the point guard broke the school mark for assists in a season (194). He finished the year averaging 11.2 points and 2.8 rebounds. Ross turned up his game in February, which coincided with Lehigh’s historic winning streak. Included was a pair of career-high 24-point efforts at Bucknell and Navy. Only two years into his collegiate career, Ross owns 369 career assists, already just 57 from entering the top five in school history. He also enters the 2016-17 season 24th in the nation in career assists among active players, and number one in his class.
    Last Year: FG .444, 3FG .382, FT .694, Asst/G 6.1, TO’s/G 2.03

Keeping it Close

If Lehigh has any chance at keeping the final score respectable, i.e., single point loss……you’re hoping that:

(1) KR (career 10.8 ppg) and AP (career 10.9 ppg) together with our reserve and mostly undersized guards can somehow stay with, for the most part, the potent Xavier guard tandem of Edmond Sumner (11.0 ppg) and Trevon Bluiett (15.1 ppg) despite giving away a combined 9” in height. Truly “monster” games are needed in all phases of their game – be they hitting the 3, dishing-out assists, and perhaps most importantly causing turnovers. It won’t be easy because behind Sumner and Bluiett you have Malcolm Bernard, a graduate transfer from Florida A&M who stands 6’6”. The trio is referred to by their fans as their 3-headed monster.

(2) Xavier’s manpower woes catch up with them. To wit: (a) Myles Davis, Guard and 3rd leading scorer from last year, has been suspended by the team. (b) Kaiser Gates, 6’8” Forward, is out with a knee injury. (c) The team enters the game down 3 of their next four (after Sumner and Bluiett) leading scorers from last year, with only 9.4ppg / 6’’5” Jr. Guard, J.P. Macura, returning. (d ) As reported by SI’s Dan Green, “Xavier’s senior transfer RaShid Gaston, who averaged 9.6 rebounds at Norfolk State in 2014–15, and sat out last year, is the only Muskies forward who has played more than 10.4 minutes per game in college.” And (e) Counting walk-on/turned scholarship player Tim Stainbrook, Coach Mack has but nine healthy scholarship players to choose from. You can now see why WCPO Cincinnati Contributor, Shannon Russell had this to say recently, “Xavier for now is rather thin.”

(3) TK (17.7ppg/30 mpg) shows the nation why he’s an NBA prospect and out-duels 6’10” / 7 mpg / 3.2 ppg center, Sean O’Mara in both points and rebounds.

(4) While in the wings – especially at the “4” – our group of unknowns, led by MH and PA, do not experience a meltdown (game one, bright lights of television, etc.) but instead play composed when pitted against 6’9” senior transfer Gaston and X’s relatively inexperienced yet highly talented assembly of Musketeers.

This sounds like fun. Bring it on!

Xavier by 24 over Ferris State in Public Exhibition Game

Xavier, we are told, played Georgia in a closed scrimmage before taking on DII Ferris State in a public exhibition game last week. Ferris State, who made the 2016 NCAA Tournament Division II Sweet 16 last season lost by 24 (80-56). The guard combo of Sumner/Bluiett/Bernard/Macura tallied 67 points of Xavier’s 80. Check out Coach Mack’s rather candid comments in the post-game press conference below.

http://www.goxavier.com/news/2016/11/5/mens-basketball-musketeers-top-bulldogs-in-exhibition-play.aspx

LU65
    Participant

I should have waited a few hours. Here are the Game Notes hot off the press……….

LU
    http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men's%20Basketball/2016-17/1%20-%20Lehigh%20at%20Xavier%20Notes%20111116.pdf

KL and MH expected to join TK, KR, and AP as starters

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Game notes reference Alston and Holba as having missed all of last season due to injury. For Sedore, it says “Out for season with knee injury.” Hope that they just did not update his status since last season and it’s not a new injury.

Worried about X’s size and athleticism for tomorrow. Most excited to see the new guys we have been hearing so much about. If this game is competitive for 35+ minutes I think that is a good sign given this is a top 10 team on the road.

toddcudd
    Participant

Got confirmation from Justin re: CS – that note is old, leftover from last season. He is getting back up to full strength, but is available tomorrow night.
    Justin will correct that in the game notes.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

[quote quote=29283]Got confirmation from Justin re: CS – that note is old, leftover from last season. He is getting back up to full strength, but is available tomorrow night.
    Justin will correct that in the game notes.

[/quote]

Thanks Todd. Appreciate the legwork and glad he’s available tomorrow.

Not many better ways to start a career them against number eight in the nation!

travism
    travism
    Participant

It stinks I can’t watch the game. I have rcn here in Bethlehem. And I was told that ch is not avail. Going to hope I can find online somewhere

toddcudd
    Participant

Goto a bar with satellite, Travis. That’s what I’m gonna do.

van
    van
    Participant

game is on Dish sport alternative channel

brookln231
    Participant

Are you sure about this? I’ve looked in a few places and can’t find the game listed on any satellite channels.

van
    van
    Participant

showing on my guide as Dish 412-32

brookln231
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

lehigh90
    Participant

Anybody seen a line, if there is one? I don’t see the game on the Board.

Villanova -32 over Lafayette
    Maryland -21 over American

LU65
    Participant

Vegas is quiet on the PL, it seems. I did notice……..

Oregon 31.5 over Army
    Ohio St. 16.5 over Navy

90, the spreads you quoted and the ones I just offered are within 1 pt. or equal to the Pomeroy predicted winning margins.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

As mentioned earlier Kenpom has us +17 with a 7% chance of winning. My feelings now though go back to last year at this point in the season. Three serious injuries (MH, BA, CS) limiting the number of scholarship players available both in practice and games, and a very key transfer out. We all agreed if Coach Reed & staff made any kind of run, it would be a dynamite coaching job. And the almost got the ring.

This year, except for CS being not up to speed yet, we have arguably, on paper, the best overall talent ever in the program. One game can’t predict a season, but it’s gonna give us a real big hint. I’m a bit hyped up because the season is finally here!

travism
    travism
    Participant

Listening to game. We need to settle down. To many turnovers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.