Game 12: Bryant

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 12: Bryant

This topic contains 51 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said Bum.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I don’t know that I’d compare Bucknell’s loss at Princeton to a home loss to Bryant.   Princeton was picked for 1st in the official Ivy poll this year – getting 16 of 17 possible 1st place votes – and currently is ranked #86 in the nation (Pomeroy).    BU was only a 2-3 point favorite in that game.    Bryant, in contrast, is ranked #229 after the LU win and was #250 prior to that game.   LU was a 21-point favorite.

LU65
    Participant

I’m with you StablerBum. Here’s a look at the PL’s OOC
    SOS rankings thru today.

1. AU 120
    2. BU 147
    3. LC 167
    4. CU 189
    5. HC 221
    6. LU 226
    7. A 315
    8. N 342

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

American has made a surprising run at the PL’s top ooc schedule – thanks to better-than-expected seasons thus far from Minnesota (#10) and St. Joes (# 65).    AU is actually #129 at the moment, but it appears Bucknell will pass them this week.   AU has home games left with Cornell and a terrible Maryland – Eastern Shore team, while BU has road games at Cornell and at Missouri.   That should be enough to flip-flop their positions.   CU may catch LC for 3rd, and LU has a shot to catch HC for 5th, depending on how Pomeroy treats Muhlenberg.

norcalfan
    Participant

Let’s remember these young men have a lot on their plates. Finals and for the seniors, what happens after they graduate is on their minds. All the PL teams need the support of their fans. Sounds like we are giving up on them. LU knows they laid an egg, no one has to remind them. Cheer them on against VCU. If they win, we forgot all about this. The season is about to begin and it is anybody’s game on any given night. Once league play starts, I will complain more:).

hawktalker
    Participant

About the schedule, it’s my understanding that it was very difficult to put together for this season. No one wanted to play Lehigh with one of the country’s best players. As it is, there are only 28 games and one of them is against Division III Muhlenberg. For the second straight year, Lehigh will have more road games than home games.

Watch how easy it becomes to get a game against A10 or Big 10 teams once CJ is playing in the NBA

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

All true, heck only reason NTexas on schedule was no one else would play us. S/b easier next yr, point is we actually have to do it.

gohawks63
    Participant

@norcalfan
    My sense is much of the frustration with the Bryant game is not directed at the players as much as the coaching staff.  An organizational problem has become painfully manifest with the lack of plausible replacements for situational players John Adams and Justin Manieri and the failure of the 3 guard system to provide the length and heft necessary to guard the perimeter and defend/rebound the post.

Many of the players, in fact, performed with incredible heart – I would place CJ and Mackey at the top of that list.  They both appeared hobbled but nevertheless played with great intensity.  CJ – instead of his usual slashing to the basket – did his damage from the 3 point line and the foul line.  Mackey seemed to be showboating somewhat early but later played with great intensity through was appeared to be painful leg cramps.
    Gabe – as he was the first to admit – dropped an egg.  But, not for lack of trying as much as impatience and poor shot selection. Holden – who has been a disappointment to me all season, actually played pretty well.

TMH
    Participant

I was in complete agreement with you gohawks63 until the last sentence. I’m not sure what your expectations were for Greiner but I think he’s having a fine season.  He is arguably the 4th scoring option on this team and is still averaging 11.1 ppg. He’s doing it while shooting 52.8% from the field (2nd only to Gabe), 47.1% from 3s and 79.3% from the FT. I’d class all of those # as being splendid. He leads the team in rebounding by A LOT. (76 to 58 from CJ). He is only 1 block behind Gabe and is tied with CJ for the team lead in steals. His Assist to TO is 1.5 to 1.  I’ve attended 3 games this year and IMHO, he would have won the hustle award in every one of them. His defense needs some improvement but he is typically guarding guys that are both bigger and more athletic than him. We knew that going in though.

We tend to sing the praises of Gabe on here and it is true that he is shooting the ball VERY well and sometimes that is all we notice. Look at the other parts of the game though and he has been underperforming Greiner in virtually every other phase of the game.

That’s just one man’s opinion :-)

norcalfan
    Participant

Gohawks63,

Dont get me started on the coach:). I ranted enough in the past about Coach Reed in tight games. Thanks for your comments. I really think the young men were a bit distracted after Christmas. If I might say so, the team needs one or more leaders that are physical and not intimidated to help them move forward. While CJ is a great player, is he a leader? Is Gabe a leader? Remember that photo of Maneri sliding under the table in Sports illustrated while Adams was not far behind? LU needs a dose of that type of play. Which players can bring that? Reed needs to let this team play and they will get the job done. Too much managing can stifle a team. As I said, do not get me started on Reed:).  The seniors need to take over!

gohawks63
    Participant

@TMH.

I believe HG was our 3rd leading scorer last year; and actually some of his biggest games came as a Sophmore.  I believe HG is capable of being our 3rd

leading scorer (which would take some pressure off of Mackey and allow him to distribute). Holden seems to disappear at times – 1 reb/8pts against

Baylor; 5 reb/5pts against Pitt; 5 reb/2pts against Xavier (last year).  In fact, HG’s play is something of a bellweather for the Hawks.  When Holden is

not in the flow for us, it seems to put undue pressure on CJ and MM ..

lehigh90
    Participant

We can bitch about the schedule all we want, and I have probably been one of the loudest bitchers.  But, in reality, for Lehigh, the only thing that matters is the 14 games we will play in the PL regular season and the PL tournament.  We can post strength of schedule figures until the cows come home, but this is a ONE BID LEAGUE, period.  The strength of schedule is nice for fans like us who attend the games to see bigger opponents, and judge how we stack up.  But, it is all pretty irrelevant, unless there is a tie atop the PL standings after 14 games for homecourt.  And, we didn’t have homecourt last season, and it didn’t matter.  We are not getting an at-large bid ever, and neither is anybody else, so really who cares about your KenPom rating, or your Sagarin rating, or your SOS rating.  It is really about as relevant in the grand scheme as how many fannies pack Stabler.  We could play Maryland Eastern Shore and Muhlenberg in front of 7 people, and it doesn’t matter if we win the PL tournament. 

I have a bigger problem with the way Reed has used his team in the OOC, than our SOS.  We are through 12 games, mostly irrelevant ones, and we still have no clue whether or not CB, JG and DC can play.  I fear that we do know that CB can’t play, and looking like JG is a long long long term project.  But, we know nothing about DC, who was perhaps our top recruit.  You have to get the guy some minutes to see what we have in him.  We have also showed pretty much exclusively a man to man defense, and have not worked on any real wrinkles that we could use in the league or in either tournament (assorted zones, box and one, triangle and two, half court trapping 1-3-1, or full court pressure).  The coach needs to build this team for the future, always, not just rely on 3 guys who will be gone in a few months.  Can MM play the 2 in a lineup with CS at the point, we don’t know, but we should have found out, as that may be a viable option next season.  Can AD and SC coexist on the floor at the same time, we don’t know, but would be nice to know for next season.  Can CS play off the ball, again we don’t really know?  Can CB play the 4 with JG at the 5, unknown.  You need to use these games to build for something.  I would rather beat a team like St. Francis in a tighter game and figure out what I have on the bench and roster.  We have continued to roll out the 7 or 8 known quantities on the team, and have found out really nothing about the other half of the roster.  And, even though we played our big 3 30+ minutes every night, we still have shown no real ability to play with major teams (Pitt, Baylor, VCU we will see).  What will be the role of BJB going forward?  Is he a starter, is he a bench player?  If he starts, what is the role of AD, is he the first shooter, or does he fall behind SC?  Questions, questions.

I think Reed is spending more time figuring out his post-CJ coaching exit, and polishing his post-game press conference thoughts, than tweaking this roster and potential strategies moving forward. This looks like the end of the Fran McCaffrey era more and more.  And, he needs to get all hands on deck on the recruiting trail.  This team is woefully short of big bodies and it looks to be killing us for this season and the future.

lehigh90
    Participant

Through 12 games, DC is at 26 minutes played, 7 attempts, 1 made FG, a 3 pointer.

Our walk-ons, TS 9 minutes played, CG 15 minutes played.

You have to figure out in the OOC schedule what you have with a recruited player.

On another note, why did SC only get 4 minutes vs. Bryant?  And CS under 10 minutes as well?  Did those guys just show no abillity to defend the perimeter against guard oriented Bryant?  AD 14 minutes, and BJB 24 minutes.  If you are going to give BJB starter’s minutes, then start him, and let him play 25 minutes with the premium core players.  Then give SC the majority of the leftover minutes as his scoring and shooting ability outweigh anything that AD brings to the table. 

Only 2 games left to tweak the lineup and rotation prior to conference play.  BJB needs an established role, and the bench wing players need expectations set so they are comfortable in their roles.

LU65
    Participant

Agree with much of what you guys – far more learned than me – are saying. Although I’m not ready to throw Reed under the bus.

Allow me to advance a thought – call it “may fear.” Simply, Coach Reed may know something we don’t. And, knows it from practicing his players 2-3 hours a day for the past 80 or so days – scenes none of us are privy to. That is, we just don’t have the talent we all thought we would have sitting on the bench this year. Maybe CB, JG and DC just don’t have it (D-I game ready talent on both sides of the ball), no matter what we thought we saw out of CB last year and no matter what we, as anxious fans, may have read into the recruiting numbers and high school performances of DC and JG. Certainly Staggers and Goodman, our walk-ons, don’t have it yet are viewed as essential to the team as “practice players.” I’m not saying this is the case or that we should lump CB, JG, and DC in with JC and consider them all in the same class as Staggers and Goodman, but simply offer it up for discussion and thought. Those of us who have followed the team since Reed’s arrival know he’s acting out of character this year for it has always been his philosophy to give 10-12 minutes/game to 10 + players in nearly every OOC game. Check the box scores from prior years. It hasn’t happened this year and perhaps talent, or better said, lack thereof is the reason why. It’s an ugly thought but one to keep an open mind to until proven otherwise. Like many of you, I’m fearful but hold out hope that we can somehow make it this year with a shortened roster. It’s too late now, after our 12th game, to change or do anything but root for the guys dressed in brown and white. It is what it is. PL play is the only thing that really matters anyhow. For those wishing to back to the NCAAs, you can say the only thing that matters is how we perform on March 6th, 9th, and 13th.

lehigh90
    Participant

I agree, 65, in that the talent may not be there, which is why the minutes are limited.  But, nobody jumps from the high school level to ANY college level, ready to play.  It takes experience in games, not just practice, for the game to slow down, like it did for these guys in high school.  All freshmen are projects to some extent, but you can’t develop them on the bench.  Some will take longer to develop, usually the big guys, and the ones that take longer we will call “projects”.  But, I think you need to give CB, JG, DC and to a lesser extent SC, CS time to develop, and that time is during the OOC slate of games.  For some reason, that has not happened.  If you look at the past few years, most of our recruited wings got fairly immediate playing time.  HG started early in the career, as did CJ, of course.  AD played big minutes in his first college game.  SC and CS saw a fair amount of PT last season.  But, DC, virtually nothing.  You can’t progress playing 2 minutes of garbage time.  He has only had one extended run of 10 minutes in the FDU game, and that was garbage time as well.  Maybe Reed thought an at-large was in the mix, if he could post 25 wins.  But, Bryant certainly ended that fallacy.  I am not sure why he is not focusing on developing younger players in this OOC year, like he has in the past.

He has a responsibility at this point to develop the few bigs he has.  If you are not going to bring in big players, you better develop what little you have.  There is really no excuse.  He better turn CB and JG into big men, or whoever coaches the big guys (the KM look-a-like, forget his name) better turn them into serviceable players.  You can’t play bigger team in size or status with a lineup of guards.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.