Game 25: Bucknell

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 25: Bucknell

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ve ever second-guessed a single coaching move by Dr. Reed, but down 3 with 40 seconds left, why on God’s Green Earth don’t you foul? The set-piece drain-the-shot-clock shot has always been Bucknell’s forte, and Lehigh just gave it to them at the end of the game. I knew they’d get the shot off with 1 second on the shot clock to win the game. I couldn’t have been the only one.

At least foul once! Let’s say they make both and you miss the 3. You still lose. But prolonging the game too many good things could happen. Heck, maybe they miss both and you set up a 3 ball and head to OT. They had struggled from the line in the run-up to that moment.

Am I the only one who sees how easily Lafayette could come away with the NCAA tournament bid? It’s easy to see why they’re in the thick of this thing. Their strengths map perfectly to Bucknell’s (guard play) and Lehigh’s (slow starts) weaknesses. Their insane schedule, too, has prepared them well for PL play. When you go to Kentucky, suddenly Lehigh doesn’t seem so daunting.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I tell you what is interesting, I posted in this thread once pre-game and once post-game immediately after the game last night. I woke up this morning and took a long look at the box score and I tell you what, I really am not that upset at all about this L. As I said and others pointed out in much greater depth, when are we going 7 for 30 from 3 & FT line ever again? It could happen, but doubtful based on history and track record of this team. I think others are right in that we saw some horribly off shots, a lot of which were short, and that is legs being tired. That was our 3rd game in 6 days and check out elevated minutes for our big 4 these past 3 games vs their season averages. Big time elevation in minutes, in fact in each of those 4 cases did each player play more in each of the 3 games then his season average in minutes. Not an excuse, but perhaps an explanation, lets remember BU played the same amount of games in the same amount of days as us, so its not an excuse, just a point.

MM: 37 40 37 vs. season average of 33

AD: 30 35 34 vs season average of 24

HG: 38 33 36 vs season average of 31

GK: 33 34 30 vs season average of 29

Looking back I would have liked to try to see if Reed could have gotten more from SC last night, fresher legs and some instant offense perhaps, he had 4 points and 3 rebounds in 5 minutes and with BJ hobbled and AD looking perhaps a bit tired, think he could have rode SC a bit more. We held MM in check for the most part, kudos to the defense on that one, as that is no small task. As 90 pointed out, Fitz had a big game for them, huge effort and their bench overall gave them more then we got.

LU will regroup, this team is a bunch of fighters with huge hearts, they’ll work and get better this week and get ready for Laf game. I really expect a big effort vs Laf, I’d be surprised if we didn’t play a solid ball game.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

How much time do our guys spend shooting foul shots? I remember junior high, we couldn’t leave the court until we made at least 9/10.  You only get better by practicing.  That was the most painful exhibition of free throw shooting since i watched Wilt Chamberlain 50 years ago.  I thought we played inspired defense, but missing so many shots within 3-5 feet was unbelieveable.  To even be in that game at the end was a miracle and shows that Bucknell is no better. They may well be beaten by someone else and we need to be a laser the next three games.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.