Game 3: Yale

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 3: Yale

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

[quote=23882]Holba will make all the difference, but no need to panic now, a long way to go! Yale shot the lights out of the ball![/quote]

Really don’t like this way of thinking. The kid hasn’t played in a single college game, much less a practice, and hasn’t played at all since July. Let’s not make him the savior. He’s going to have a tough enough time getting in shape and getting up to D1 speed without people expecting him to be a difference maker on a team with championship expectations.

Let’s focus on getting the current guys to grab a rebound before we worry about freshman in streetclothes.

toddcudd
    Participant

Good stuff, Bum. We have to be good before we expect MH to help. Iffy at best so far, IMO.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

MS’s transfer and BA’s injury really changed the trajectory of the season. MS was dynamic and brought great energy, BA had good size on the wing and an ability to score and get to the free throw line. It was a tough offseason. I was surprised when Reed continued to hype “championship aspirations” despite everything that happened leading up the year. On the plus side, our best players are still underclassmen and/or injured – so let’s not (looking at you Todd!) get too dramatic about where things stand today.

The lack of toughness and inability to rebound over the past few years is certainly getting old though. Who knows though – maybe they can turn this around and compete for PL championship – I haven’t abandoned all hope yet.

lehigh90
    Participant

Not much positive going right now on this squad. And, now looking 0-6 squarely in the face with Virginia and Purdue on tap. The Columbia game is now a must win. If this gets to 0-6, it could really spiral out of control and we may be looking at a 10 win season. I don’t like us on the road at the moment, so I think we lose next 3.

Only positive is the progression of AP. He has become a really solid, consistent wing scorer. His mentality looks like “I’m gonna score and you can’t stop me”, which is great. Unfortunately, Tim and Kahron have not yet elevated their games from last season. Goldy must be really limited, as he is not himself. Problems are rebounding and defending on the perimeter. I don’t like the intensity on the defensive end. You have to want to rebound and defend and this squad is a little soft. Actually a lot soft without a healthy #40.

Maybe Holba will give us a boost. Need to find something to get excited about. Would like to see us beat Columbia and play one of the next two opponents within 10. The way Virginia defends, next Wed could be ugly. They held teams way down last year, and we may struggle to get to 40 points there.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote=23884]Sears is very good at MM level, but couldn’t get a high-major offer. Made us look helpless. Back to the ’90s, I’m afraid. The CJ effect was fun, while it lasted.

A Columbia win would be nice, but not terribly meaningful now.
    1.) Bucky
    2.) BU
    3.) Whoever shows up
    4.) Us.

[/quote]

1. Fwiw, Sears did have an offer from Stanford. Possibly a few other high-level programs, but I don’t have time for research.
    2. No reason to think at this point that LU is not a serious contender.
    3. Boston U thus far is playing pretty well without Hankerson (injury) and Fanning (short suspension). If they get those two back, they may be the favorite since they have found a good PG, something that killed them last year.
    4. I think the other team that needs to be added to your group of four is Army. They are playing well, and Kyle Wilson seems to be recovered from the shoulder injury that plagued him last year. Army has five returning senior starters from a team that the coaches/SIDs picked for 2nd last year. Wilson btw was last year’s preseason POY.
    5. Columbia is basically the same as Yale, so I think a win over them would be quite meaningful.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

toddcudd
    Participant

1. Fwiw, Sears did have an offer from Stanford. Possibly a few other high-level programs

How dare you challenge my emotional, unreasonable over-reaction with actual facts! :-)

I will take exception to item #2, though. I think we’ve got a quite a few “reasons”. I’d start with rebounds and blocked shots vs. an Ivy.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.