Game 30: Lafayette

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 30: Lafayette

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

norcalfan
    Participant

First of all, good luck to the seniors, wishing them well in their endeavors. I am very proud of this team and what they achieved, despite losing CJ. O’Hanlon is an experienced coach. Once he saw the weaknesses on this team, he capitalize. Must give him credit. I think LU did a great job. After CJ went down, they could have thrown in the towel, but they battled back. Next year is anybody’s game.

LUHoops00
    Participant

TMH –  You’re overreacting a bit here my man, I know why we didn’t rebound, wasn’t positive I needed to lay out the reasons for anyone like you did, I get it I get it..we all get it…it was still one of the reasons why we lost, right? Also not “beating on anyone” just pointing out what hurt us yesterday. Laf is/was the better team, as you gave credit there, I didn’t think I needed to say that as I hope folks get that after losing 3 straight to them!

LUHoops00
    Participant

Bison – I have no idea if CIT decisino has been made or not, no clue, but that is not hugely appealing from financial standpoint so I bet we don’t participate.

hawktalker
    Participant

Two schools of thought on CIT:
    1. If it’s a money-losing proposition then it really doesn’t make sense to enter just so
    the seaon doesn’t end
    2. That kind of tournament is ideal for a young tean that can gain some valuable
    experience it can use for the following season. This is a team that is senior-heavy.
    Only starters I expect back are MM and AD.

gohawks63
    Participant

I’m afraid the snakebit/voodoo/cj meme is obscuring some hard truths about the state of the program.  Sorry, we didn’t loose to the Leo’tards three times this year because of CJ’s foot but because of Brett Reed’s poor recruiting and game coaching.  CJ was not recruited to be the “savior of the program” any more than AD was.  CJ’s emergence into an NBA lottery type talent was dumb luck for Dr. Reed.

Even WITH CJ we were struggling with lesser programs and relying too heavily on CJ’s heroics.  CJs 34 point performance at Stabler (on a bad ankle) in a loss to Bryant comes to mind.

While the ‘tards were patiently whipping the ball around the lane all evening waiting for the inevitable mismatch or backdoor cut, we were rolling the dice with the same, tired high screen and pray type maneuver.  As painful as this 13 point loss was, I think we actually OVER-achieved due to some really remarkable moments from Mackey McNight.  Lafayette sophmores Trist and Hinrichs and Freshman Scott go for 13, 18 and 12.  Our D’Orazio, Schaefer and Cvrkalj go for 0, 5, 6.

I’m sure AD is a heck of a nice kid and probably a hell of a practice player.  But, after three full seasons and one season of starting, I think we can conclude (I concluded this a long time ago) that he adds NOTHING to our program.  Recruiting FAIL and Game Coaching FAIL.  I believe if BR had invested AD’s minutes into SC all season, we would have had a much more diverse and difficult offense to defend.  SC was 2-2 with the 3 ball yesterday; why so few looks?  Even CS looks far more promising.

Here’s hoping the Kempton, Chuku, Goldsboro combination can solidify our interior defense and rebounding next year. Here’s praying that BJ comes back for another season.  But seriously, where are the points going to come from?  Is Mackey going to have any help or is it going to be a full season of high screen, dribble penetration and crashing to the rim and floor for Mackey?

LU65
    Participant

to hawktalkler’s point….

Then again, we have a number of players who could use some ‘one and down’ playoff experience. Namely: D’Orazio, Schaefer, Baltimore, Goldsborough, and Crvkalj. None logged more than one minute of playing time down in Greensboro last year.

to gohawks63’s point….

Couldn’t agree more – especially with the AD vs. SC and CS. Been crying for the latter two (especially
    Schaefer) for weeks. Each could top the 3-point charts next year. With BJ, you’d have a true triple long-range threat. That said, each must step up their defensive game between now and November.

LU65
    Participant

As for yesterday, you’re supposed to win if you can out-shoot your opponent (FG .486 to .444 overall and 3FG .313 to .273)as we did yesterday, but not so if you can’t out-rebound him (25 to 35) and sink freebies at the foul line with the consistency of that of the other team (20 for 27 vs. 28 of 30). It all came to pass at Kirby yesterday. We were out-hustled, out-played, and out-maneuvered all day. We simply had no answer for the spread offense employed. Like others had questioned, I’m not sure playing Gabe an additional 10 minutes would have been the answer. Hanlon’s well-targeted substitution patterns countered our every move. Tip of the hat to the old pro. That said, we showed tremendous grit and heart to come within two at the half after trailing by as many as nine. In the second have, down by as many as 16, we closed to within five. The one play that will stick with me for months will be the call against Mackey on his drive to the basket at the 5:05 mark. Listening to the TV call this morning (aren’t DVRs great), the announcer had it right, when he said “Count it and one!” MM’s bucket and the foul shot that may have followed, were Lafayette whistled for a blocking foul, could have cut the lead to two. Were it a no call (play-on), the lead would have been three with momentum fully on our side. Instead MM was whistled for the foul and we never got closer than five. I’m sure Reed won’t soon – if ever – forget the play. Hey, we lost and deservingly so. We were not the better team yesterday.

Will I be back next year………a season without CJ, Gabe, Holden, and, most likely, BJ? You bet I will.

hawktalker
    Participant

Question: Was AD healthy yesterday? His 14 minutes were much lower than usual. I’m not as
    down on him as some on this board. He had some pretty good games this year (a double-double
    at Army for instance). He didn’t look like himself yesterday

LUHoops00
    Participant

gohawks 63, fair comments, good detailed post. I also hope Whitfield can help out in the frontcourt next year. Next year has potential to be solid despite graduating best class of our history, but it could swing in either direction based on a few keys.

1.) Frontcourt – I think Goldy keeps developing and if he puts on 10+ lbs of muscle and gets to a big man camp or two he will be a player next year in this league. With HG and GK graduating and CB being stuck on the bench, 2 of the 3 in the Chuku/Whitfield/Kempton have to break right. If you had a magic spell to cast and you get your pick of having one of them break right, you’d probably pick Kempton because of the  size factor! But if 2 of those 3 break right you should be competent up front, young in experience but not necessarily in age as I’ve outlined SW and JC are older players for their grades. In a perfect world all 3 break right and you got a nice, flexible 4 man rotation up front. If they break right, I’d think you’d have a really solid athletic and flexible front court in terms of options. You’d perhaps get to go “big” with SW at the 3, and using 2 of the remaining 3 at the 4 and 5 spot. From what I’ve seen SW is the shortest of the 3, and quickest.

2.) Backcourt – You know what MM is going to bring, he’ll work all offseason and take his game up another level, so he’ll be a top flight PL lead guard again next year. You got AD, SC, and CS all returning so you know what you have there for the most part. AD is what AD is, CS is solid but not a star, and as outlined above I think upside is still there for SC, agree he was under utilized a bit this year and wish we saw more of him. So you got 4 returning guards that you know something about, and then you got DC off ACL surgery so not sure what to make of him and considering how little PT he got when healthy, not sure where he fits into this, and then fresh blood from guard spot includes AP and the CR question mark factor. As much as you need atleast 2 of those 3 newcomers up front to break right, you really need AP to break right as well in terms of future prospects post next year. If CR is preferred walk on and we have a schollie left, I’m curious if we’ll use it. Obviously, I’ve left off BJ, who if he returns is a big factor in terms of lowering the potential outcomes for next year and tilting those potential outcomes in the upward direction.

I’m high on the newcomers for next year, think they all got a shot to break right, but I don’t know and don’t have a crystal ball! Wish I did! If I did I’d probably use it too frequently to get good outcomes for LU Hoops than my wife would probably like!

lehigh90
    Participant

TMH, in response to your earlier question after my first postgame post, from my car, I was at the game.  Then, I rewatched the game yesterday and bits and pieces of it today that I had taped and my opinion did not change one bit.  I thought the defense was lousy yesterday.  If you pride yourself on being a team that gets after it, in man to man defense, like Lehigh does, nothing I saw made me happy yesterday.  (They gave up 80+ points)  If you play man to man defense, you have a responsibility to keep you eye on your man and an eye on the ball, triangle if you will, man/ball/basket.  If you get caught watching the ball, you will get beat on backdoor cuts.  If you get caught watching your man, you are not in a position to help on penetration from a player you are not guarding.  I thought live and on tape that Lehigh got caught in both scenarios repeatedly yesterday.  They, no doubt, tried hard and competed, but they just didn’t play good, smart, fundamental man to man defense.  If the ball swings around the perimeter, which Lafayette, excels at, you have to move with the ball, and close out shooters.  We repeatedly didn’t close out any shooters all day.  Luckily, Lafayette, shot it poorly from the outside in the second half, which, sort of, kept us in the game.  But, what really infuriated me was the wide open backdoor cuts, and the slow rotations to shooters.  If you listen to the game announcers, the color guy, must have said 25 times, Lehigh failed to close on the shooter.  Everything was late, late, late.  I don’t have a problem if Johnson beats you off the dribble and gets into the paint, if you have some bigs to help, but guys would watch him with the ball and lose their man backdoor constantly.  Or, a simple give and go type of cut, where Johnson passes to the wing then cuts directly to the basket, we got burned on a bunch as well. 

I have hammered Reed repeatedly on his failure to mix and match his defensive sets.  That is why O’Hanlon is a good game coach.  He shows man, then he switches to a traditional zone, then he shows 1-3-1 zone trapping.  He is constantly mixing up his defenses, and Reed is always trying to match personnel.  O’Hanlon dictates and Reed responds.  But, if you are going to live and die with man to man defense, you have to stop backdoor layups, and we did not yesterday.  On offense, O’Hanlon also showed some variety, but all we ever show is the high pick and roll game, ad nauseum.  And, yesterday, I thought we played way too much one on one basketball, especially when we got down.  I agree with TMH wholeheartedly, that O’Hanlon took the air out of the ball way too early yesterday.  It was a bit of a panic, play it safe move, and it almost cost them.  If I was him, I would have just continued to run my basic sets, as Lehigh couldn’t really stop it.  But Frannie O’Hanlon has been running the same offense since his days at Monsignor Bonner in Philly, when I was in high school, 25 years ago.  By this point, you would think Reed would come up with something to stop it.  Although he is blessed to have a PG like Johnson running it, who is a real maestro out there right now.  He is such an efficient player, and such a good shooter, percentage wise.

On the MM charge/block call, I thought it was a bad call live.  But, after watching on tape, I think it was a pretty good call.  The defensive player had pretty good position.

I think Lafayette beats Bucknell on Wednesday.  Johnson is going to have his way.  If Trist can slow down Muscala, somewhat, I think Lafayette wins.  Trist is an underrated player, and a bit of a bull inside for his size.  He has a nice array of post moves, although it is going to be tough to take it at a bigger Muscala, who is a good shot blocker in this conference.  I am interested to see how O’Hanlon is going to play on the defensive end.  Does he pack it in around Muscala early in a 2-3, and feel out the perimeter game of Bucknell?  Or, does he think that Bucknell can’t beat them with PG penetration, so he just plays man straight up on the perimeter, then doubles the post, when Muscala touches.  Interesting chess match.  I would make Ayers and Johnson beat me from the perimeter.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.