Game 4: Mississippi State

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 4: Mississippi State

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by van van 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

I noticed Sagarin elevated Lehigh from #113 to #88 after the win last night. No rest on the horizon with Arkansas St. and LaSalle on the horizon.

LU65
    Participant

Breaks into the TOp 100 on KenPom @ 95

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Patriot League also moving up a bit on Kenpom to #23 of 32. Bucknell (Kenpom #146) with big opportunities next week against Richmond (#103) Wednesday and La Salle (#116) Saturday.

TMH
    Participant

Is Kenpom a computerized poll based on your results and spreads and those of your opponents like Sagarin? I think the latter goes 3 levels. How do they differ?
    Thanks for any info.

toddcudd
    Participant

As I understand it, KenPom is primarily driven by offensive and defensive efficiency, but weighted by quality of opponent – and thankfully – by location of the game. Seems to do a better job of accurately reflecting “home court advantage” than most. As I recall, a win over a team ranked 40 at home is roughly equivalent to win over number 100 on the road.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

The essence of Ken Pomeroy’s system is the number of points expected to be scored (against the average division one team) in one hundred possessions. Defense is the same but in reverse. For complete descriptions, try this:

Ratings Glossary

Pomeroy is a mathematician type guy that blossomed his ideas into a full time business in basketball statistics. For me it’s a bunch of fun since he does every team for every game, and it’s only $20/year. If you like stats you’ll love it.

van
    van
    Participant

MSU gave a pretty good showing tonight against #5 KY, says something about how good these guys can really be if they bear down

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.