Game 7 – Colgate

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 7 – Colgate

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

This game was the season in a nutshell.

Fall behind by a ridiculous amount in the first half. About midway through wake up and play like a team that wants to be playing in mid-March, then falter through the last minute and lose by 4.

TMH
    Participant

I attended the game again tonight and I remain convinced that if we could play a credible match up zone (much like Holy Cross two years ago), we would be awfully tough to beat.
    I understand that we have a short bench once again at least in the front court so we need to avoid both exhaustion and foul trouble, hence the zone. However we play so far off the ball, the shooter has all day to line up his shot. Those 3s came far, far too easy. Play zone and when someone enters your zone, come up on him like man to man.
    Sound logical?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

And how many times have we seen this same game.?? Too many to count.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=33599]I attended the game again tonight and I remain convinced that if we could play a credible match up zone (much like Holy Cross two years ago), we would be awfully tough to beat.
    I understand that we have a short bench once again at least in the front court so we need to avoid both exhaustion and foul trouble, hence the zone. However we play so far off the ball, the shooter has all day to line up his shot. Those 3s came far, far too easy. Play zone and when someone enters your zone, come up on him like man to man.
    Sound logical?[/quote]

Might work. But a good match-up zone requires hundreds of hours of practice plus a coach who knows how to coach it.

When HC caught lightning in a bottle two years ago, I think that their 1-3-1 was more of the reason than was their match-up.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

LU65
    Participant

GroundHog Day relived. Disgusted, dismayed. That said,
    I’ll be traveling to West Point on Saturday.

Maybe we should just shoot 3s and Free Throws. We excel and lead the League in each. Tonight’s Game:

2s 16 for 42 .381
    3s 10 for 22 .454
    Overall 26 for 64 .406

Free Throws 10 for 10 1.000

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yeah.But Its that wonky D thing.

TMH
    Participant

Hi Bison,
    My cousin was a guru of the match. He used it extensively at the HS level. You are correct in that he once told me that you start it as freshmen and by the time they are juniors, they grasp it but I don’t know if the curve is different in college. John Cheney had great success with it.
    What made Holy Cross’s 1-3-1 so effective was when someone entered their zone, the defender was right in their face. When they left, someone else picked him up. In tonight’s game,far too often, we played zone but well off the ball. Colgate took advantage of that.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Post game has become deja vue item. Doc pretty much says the same things over and over. He’s not wrong about the details he highlights to explain why we sucked early.
    He has to figure out how to get these guys to play a whole game. I now find his technician approach in reviewing game annoying. This team need fire anf focus.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.