Georgetown

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Georgetown

This topic contains 42 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Lehigh74 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

richb-1
    Participant

[quote quote=32515]McCloskey injured.

[/quote]

Rich H. I realize that. But my curiosity is, will he be back this season. If he can’t return this year, did it happen so early he might obtain a fifth year? (I don’t recall his name in any of the early writeups) But would acting as a captain affect that status? And again, have we had a 3rd year as a captain before?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont know extent of injury. IIR, Sam appeared in 4 games. Likely not eligible for 5th yr. Dont ever recall a 3 yr captain.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

[quote quote=32516] Austin needs to keep doing the line drive bouncers. That can give receivers trouble. His ‘normal’ ko’s are not deep enough and give returners a head of steam.
    [/quote]

IMHO — maybe I’ve been around too much HS football — many kickers can hit kickoffs into the end zone or pooch them high in the air to about the 25 near the sideline, where coverage quickly collapses on the runner.

Squib kicks are OK, but without the hang time they’ll often generate returns (and an occasional fumble). And returns on this LU team can prove dangerous.

If we can keep other teams to starting drives on their own 30 consistently that would be awesome.

Surely we’ve recruited kickers who can succeed in college or can be taught by special teams coaches, right? Surely there are former HS soccer players at LU who can do this consistently, right? Perhaps another example of a coaching issue?

van
    van
    Participant

given the state of affairs with roster limits and scholarship money, having a strong back up kicker is probably a luxury most PL teams must forego, lets hope Mish gets back to 100% soon

richb-1
    Participant

I think three Punters and three place kickers were a necessity in the past. But of course most of the time, that would include a couple of guys kicking both styles.

Of course in the past kickers often had other positions. My first couple of years QB Rich Laubach(sp) and then Tailback Don Diorio. Of course quick kicks were a feature of Fred Dunlap’s plans. Kim McQuilken(sp) could quick kick if needed. Later I believe LB Jim McCormick was the punter I believe. OT Jim Malone was, I think the primary Kickoff guy.

I believe a couple of big time programs (Texas AM?) use a 12 man (an otherwise ordinary student) as there Kick-Off guy.

I guess what this is getting at is that we need the PL to change rules to get 95-100 roster max. I noticed Georgetown had ~95. (although all were from USA, not like about 4 years ago when they had players from 3 other continents.)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Laubach still has the most impressive punt Ive ever seen. Sitting in top rowbunder pressbox, Laubach hit a perfect spiral that soared over my head towards the open end of Taylor. He punted from about the 15 and the ball lande in the outfield of the baseball field. Amazing.

richb-1
    Participant

I remember Diorio was out for a couple of weeks, and his backup kicked one of like 85 yards, caught the wind and rolled just right. I think it was against gettysburg in 1970

we have usually been blessed with quite good punters.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yeah get the punt up high and catch that westerly. Hit it just right. Wow.
    Kicking and punting have become specialized. Rare to see a position player in college kicking FGs.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I remember Dave Melone’s kickoff duties and McCormick punting. Odd to see big guys doing that stuff. I think Ted Iobst (LB) and Mike Whalen (WR) were among the last toe placekickers, who played other positions.

Last I saw, longest punt was 88 yards by John Rhoads (Diorio’s backup??) vs. Gettysburg, 10/23/71. Seems like Dock Doyne held the record before that.

One only has to look at lowly Valparaiso (where Cecc slowly is engineering a turnaround with other former Lehigh assistants) to see a huge roster complete with several double numbers.

He’s got four kids who kick and/or punt.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/roster/#.WebXkriVCao

Then there’s this DII school that has a bunch of kids with no numbers and six PKs.

http://wingatebulldogs.com/roster.aspx?path=football

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Anyone hear anything about Nick T?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Neck. He posted a hospital picture with a bunch of teammates. He was raising his arm to wave at the camera. Hopefully heals wellbwithout any serious consequences.

van
    van
    Participant

I remember that 85 yard punt against Gettysburg, thing of beauty

Lehigh74
    Participant

I remember it too. Best punt I ever saw in my life. It was a perfect spiral that looked like it was shot out of a cannon. Good to hear that Nick T is going to be alright.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.