Gopher wounds

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Gopher wounds

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

On the upside, 2nd half was VASTLY better than the first. In the 1st, we looked lost on offense; much improved in 2nd. Specifically, felt like we saw TK adjust as the game progressed. I’m also encouraged by the guts across the board – fight was great in 2nd half. AP’s guts in particular are exciting. He believes he can score, and I do too. I also liked what I saw from MS. A little too much dribble sometimes, but I was encouraged.
    On the downside: JC was very disappointing. WAY too many 3 attempts – he needs to be in position to get put-backs. When he was in position, I saw some good things. TK also needs to get better at rebounding position, both ends of the floor.
    I don’t see why CS is getting the role he’s getting. I saw very little. I’d rather see SC, MS, or even SW. I think we learned very little about SW.
    Kinda bummed, of course – but there were bright spots. Lots of work to do, and it’s obvious that minutes are up for grabs, still.
    Anybody know the scoop with AD and DC? They said “injury” for AD, but I find that suspect…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

1st , kids were overamped and out of sync seems to me. Settled down and played hell of a 2nd vs a top 20 team. Doc is very good at molding pieces into effective team. While he’s gotten better as a game coach,he has a ways to go . Going to be an exciting year.We will get better and better.

Cant wait for Hoops complete review.

randomfan
    Participant

Not very impressed – it would help to put best five players on the court – I’m not so sure that was the case tonight.

toddcudd
    Participant

Who are your 5, random? I’m honestly not sure myself.

lehigh90
    Participant

Can somebody post a detailed recap. I didn’t see game other than following the dry box, which looked ugly. I will have a full recap on Lafayette, who took Villanova to wire and led deep into 2nd half before letting it slip in final 4 minutes.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not sure what you mean by 5 best players? Altho do think Miles will be getting lots more PT

toddcudd
    Participant

I can’t help but wonder if AD would have been a calming force in the 1st. I hope to see him back soon – I think he can offer some needed leadership, when the road is bumpy.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Box score Baltimore di not see the court and Shane only for 10 minutes? Chuku 0 for 8 on 3s. Why was he shooting 3s?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree on AD. Plus he is a high energy guy.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Coach will be working with a lot of combinations over the next month in getting ready for the league. A lot of young raw talent has to get used to each other. Key will be how ready they will be come January.

toddcudd
    Participant

Good question on the JC 3’s, Rich. I’ve read before that he CAN shoot the 3 – the ESPN guys actually gave him the nod for shooting it well in practice. But that can’t be his role for us, IMO. When he was in position to rebound and put it back, we saw some good stuff.
    I’m fine with seeing him shoot a 3, if he’s good at it, when the shot clock is winding down. But if he’s not a primary scoring guy, his role should be put-backs on offense.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I watched only second half and did not know much about these LU guys going in, but …

Freshman class is most exciting group of kids I’ve seen and (drum roll for bold prediction, please) could end up as best class ever (hard to match 2013, but …) I see incredible upside, once they get a few games under their belts and they start to mesh as a team. Athleticism is phenomenal.

Announcer said Jesse was lights out in practice from same three-point areas he was missing from in game. I think he’s going to be fun to watch on D, too. In one sequence, Kempton barely fouled a guy before Jesse got UP THERE to swat it away.

I do not know how good Minnesota is, but second half was fairly even — and they were playing against what amounted to a bunch of Patriot League rookies.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

With no access to the game TV I’m reduced to reading the box score, relying on every one else’s posts (much appreciated), and following the Patriot league scores. My offering is “oh by the way” stuff: Bucknell at Stanford gave the Cardinal fits (lost by 4), and Colgate led Wake Forest (in Winston-Salem) at the half, lost by 11. Both Bucknell & ‘Gate used almost exclusively upper classmen. Each had a sophomore starter, but no other sophomore or freshman players had significant minutes. We started three underclassmen (essentially all freshman). If sundayamqb’s opinion is more right than wrong, this will be a very interesting year as it progresses. Fortunately for me, I’m only 15 minutes from Stabler and Tuesday’s just around the corner.

LU65
    Participant

Like others, I’m disappointed with the numbers. But that’s just one half the story. The rest must come from first hand observations and that is yet to come. Hoops00 was onsite and like all of us, I’m sure, i await and highly value his report. Until then, it’s on to Rider and opening night at Stabler.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Trying to rally for football tailgates but few observations:
    1. If you ever get the chance to get to the Barn, great facility to watch a college game. Bought tickets way up behind LU bench and moved down 5 rows back, was cool.

2. Yes, inexperience showed as expected, on road in big venue with lights on and 3 rooks on court. Lots of “unforced” turnovers that we did to ourselves. Second half we settle down a lot and played well, chipped lead down to 12 a few times but never hit a big shot to push to sine digits.
    3. Player evaluation on new guys:
    Chuku – he looked comfortable taking all those 3 balls, but to my memory maybe only one or two were even close. I would have liked the staff to try to get him a touch in post to see what he had. Only offense we saw from JC was 3 balls and offensive rebounds. Will tell you this, his body is going to be trouble for Pl, he is so freeking long, I mean seeing him in person it’s ridiculous how long he is. He had a few nice O boards and tip ins, but right now he is pick n pop guy it seems. On defense he got up and blocked one or two and his length bothered a few more shots. Staff obviously comfortable with him shooting 3 but after his 7 or 8th Reed gave a great look to staff as if to say why he keeps shooting these. JC should be lock for 8 rpg this year and we will see how his O develops. Overall like what you saw from him and can see how he can be an impact guy for us on glass and we need to see more on O end.
    AP – really really happy with what I saw from AP, it’s pretty easy to see that he comes from a top notch pedigree because he is heady and smart, huge bball IQ. Deceptively long like CJ, basically carbon copy height weight and length as CJ from CJ frosh year. AP was sneaky on D getting in passing lanes and making deflections and steals, impressed. Smooth jumper and he was not one but shocked by moment, he was prepared and wasn’t rushed at all. Had some nice 3 balls and some run outs, very pleased, will be major minute guy day one as we saw, and pushed in 15 as rook on road. He was most impressive rook of all 5 last night.

Kempton, big boy, who will get stronger and quicker, not a top end athlete but legit center size for Pl and legit post game. Really impressed on his moves, showed calm and creativity in post , finished to both left and right for buckets. Clearly he has an idea what he is doing in post. His upside with tht body which will grow is HUGE, he will start every game of his career. Stayed pretty grounded on D, wasn’t wild at all, but not a quick first jump off ground and not huge leader, both will improve as his career progresses. Upside is best post player ever at LU, we have never had a guy with center size and body that also had offensive game, and he’s both. Note gabe was a 4 playing 5 for us.
    Simelton – had a couple rookie moments under bright lights but really liked what I saw in his action. Better shooter then I think we thought, really elevates on jumper and is a good athlete. Need to see more from him and I think we will, he needs more pt. very athletic and wonder how much he eats into CS, Todd saw ya tweet and agree, more MS.
    Whitfield – didn’t learn a ton about him, but confirmed what we knew, anothe athletic kid with legit body, and when he was in reed used him to helps with press, and we saw some of his handle, looked good. Highlight was he took a guy off dribble on right side of court and spin moves to hole and got fouled, was smooth move. Want to see more from him.

Clear this class is a uber athletic one, very impressed wih athletic and physical bodies of this class. Upside huge, we will see growin pains but by March I don’t think teams will want to play us.

All above comments were made with 4/5 pregame brews and a lot more post game so take it with grain of salt!’n

Off to minny penn state game.

FYI we need to do road trip like this next year, was so much fun, met ton if LU parents and families, cool times.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.