Gopher wounds

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Gopher wounds

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Thanks Hoops for the big time recap. I watched the game on ESPN3 and here are my thoughts.

Mackey was great and hit some huge (and deep) 3’s to keep the game from getting embarrassing. Felt a little bad for him at times that he didn’t have more experience around him. Tried to do too much a couple times but couldn’t blame him.

Really impressed by Price. He was not shy at all, and even the shots he missed were in and out and mostly on line. Really happy with him.

Chuku was chucking. He was practically unguarded on his 8 3’s (why would they guard him since it was effectively a turnover to let him shoot) and the majority of his misses were not close, unlike Price. Still very excited about him, but he needs to make plays near the bucket while he works on his J (in practice!).

Kempton was solid. He has a good body but does not have the athleticism or strength yet to play against a BCS frontline. With more strength over the years, he could become a very good player.

Whitfield showed some flashes. He loves to pass and share the ball. However there was one sequence where he was the open guy on an out of bounds play and was going half speed. He clearly didn’t want the ball. The in-bounder tried to throw it to someone else since Shane didn’t want it, and it got intercepted and taken the other way for a lay-up. I would have yanked him for it. The up and under where he got fouled was pretty. He definitely has the tools, but he was lacking intensity and confidence.

Simelton showed flashes. He’ll be good but he needs more experience. I think his minutes will increase through the year. Made a couple bonehead plays, but that is to be expected.

Baltimore and Devon Carter didn’t play at all. Surprised Baltimore has fallen that far on the depth chart. Not sure if DC is healthy. Stefan has been injured so we will give him a break, but he played a minor role and didn’t look great. He just hasn’t really expanded his game since he got here and is pretty slow.

Schaefer was consistent as always. I know some don’t love him, but you got to give the guy credit. He maximizes his talent, always plays hard, and is consistent. It’s not sexy, but he is one of my favorite guys on this team. He’ll continue to play.

To be totally frank, I’m not a Goldsborough fan. I don’t think he showed much last year, but I was impressed last night. He got limited minutes and clearly he has been passed on the depth chart by Kempton, Chuku, and maybe even Whitfield. That said, he made a couple plays last night, and didn’t foul, take giant swats on defense, or turn the ball over which were my complaints from last year. It will be interesting to see what role he carves out for himself and how much he has improved.

I do think AD would have helped with his hustle and experience. Hope he gets back soon.

All in all, I agree with the above posters that this freshman class has the potential to be very special. It will be fun to watch this team grow throughout the year, and with expectations in check, I think it will be great to see. Overall, there were some guys that exceeded expectations and some that didn’t quite get there, but all in all it was a pretty good first night. It’s an exciting time in this program.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: Both Bucknell & ‘Gate used almost exclusively upper classmen. Each had a sophomore starter, but no other sophomore or freshman players had significant minutes.

One reason for BU only using one freshman is that 6-9 center Ben Oberfeld sprained his knee in practice. He would likely have seen significant minutes if healthy. Azzinaro, a highly regarded freshman, played 10 minutes and looked good offensively. His defense will determine whether he sees 20+ minutes in games this year. Soph wing Chris Hass did play 11 minutes and soph guard Ryan Frazier played 10. Both will definitely be contributors, with Hass having a lot of upside if he improves his defense enough to stay on the floor.

lehigh90
    Participant

Thanks all around for recaps. Not surprised in the least about Chuku shot selection. He loves to shoot the 3 ball. All of those KUA boxes didn’t lie. Problem that needs to be addressed immediately. He needs to score ball inside 12 feet, then extend his game.

randomfan
    Participant

I probably overreacted after last night’s game when I said you should put the best five on the floor. However, based on information from both scrimmages, and after watching the game last night, I’m going to withhold my judgment until after Tuesday’s game against Rider. We will find out a lot more about the team after Tuesday’s game. Rider is picked to finish 4 or 5 in the MAAC. Also, I should clarify that I was unimpressed by the combinations on the floor.

I will point out 1 stat that I think is telling from the Minny game:
    TK 30 minutes played: 3 reb
    JG 10 minutes played: 4 reb
    You NEVER “pencil in” starters before they step foot on campus, unless you have Andrew Wiggins.

The Minny game was the 3rd game this coach has had the chance to evaluate what he has (including the two scrimmages). Rider game will be very telling in my opinion.

toddcudd
    Participant

I think I need to take a step back. I got a gentle reminder yesterday, and it got me thinking. First and foremost, I’m prone to popping off here like I’m sitting around the bar with the guys. Especially after a few rounds of liquid confidence. Difference is, this is the internet. There’s no reason to believe that the guys don’t stop by here to see what’s being said, or their families for that matter. The last thing I want to do is damage a kid’s confidence, and I need to remember that’s what they are – kids.
    I spent a fair amount of time in advance of this game at big program message boards, and they are pretty brutal. I would never want this board to devolve into that. I think we all take some pride in the fact that our guys are student athletes, in Lehigh’s reputation, and in a proper perspective. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice any of that for a few more wins.
    I’m also not happy about my quick judgment on a number of fronts, after seeing exactly one game. The coaches have seen far more in practice and scrimmages already. I made comparisons against my own expectations, based essentially on nothing. That’s just dumb.
    A few more positives I missed in my first post, before I shut up for a while. I thought Mackey looked really good, and it looks like he’s ready to shoulder a heavier scoring load in addition to running the show. Also, JG’s rebounds/minute were impressive – I did not realize that before seeing random’s post, above. I also saw him take a jump hook that looked really good, to me. It didn’t go, but he went up decisively with confidence, and it was a good shot – could have gone. I’m hopeful that he might have some offense to show us this season.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I agree with your comment on the brutal sniping on on some of the boards. IMO,you,re being a bit hard on yourself. So far we only have one game to react to.Our thoughts may or may not be prescient for the season but none were off the wall.

randomfan
    Participant

todd you are right, and I was bit hard when I said I was “unimpressed” with my original post. I saw plenty of exciting and promising talent from all the freshman. AP is definitely going to be a big time player in the PL. In the 2nd half, both TK and SW made two spectacular, big-time moves in my opinion. Jump hook with left hand was impressive, along with the spin/up & under by SW. JC is unbelievable active on the glass. I think he is capable of stepping out and making 3s, even if he went 0-8. MM definitely looked great. Also, CS made some impressive baskets.
    I was more “unimpressed” with the rotation/combination of players from the coach. I think they will be great if they can push the tempo a little more with the players they have. When AD is healthy, that will definitely help also.
    One other concern that I have after this weekend, and I know it’s only one game in, but the other PL teams played great in their first games. Youth is a factor, but Lehigh incoming frosh class is extremely talented across the board, along with JC. Many of these kids played high-level comp during AAU and high school careers. Inexperience and youth is a great way to lower expectations going into season, but it starts to become an excuse as you go deeper into season. Coaching consists of 3 parts on the college level: recruiting, psychology, and “coaching”/development. A+ recruiting, and the other 2 are yet to be determined this year, but it’s early!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Good analysis, LUHoops00 — and I only saw second half.

jimk72: ESPN3.com used to keep games up for a week or so to anyone. You might be able to watch for free, though you might need to have cable access now — not sure.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Thank you sundayam!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

jimk72: You’re welcome … hope it worked … if so, what’d you see in the team?

LUHoops00
    Participant

Just rewatched game last night so it is still up on espn3. Man AP I tell ya that son of a gun is one smart player, you can see the Family aau and DCDS pedigree man. I lost count of how many balls he got his hands on on defensive end. He got steals, tips, deflections. Not only that but his positioning was very good. Also underrated part of his game was he started 1-6 or something like that, had a few roll in and out, but he never stopped never lost confidence…was good to see. He will be hard to get off court.

I think frontcourt it’s more clear on how minutes get distributed out, wildcard will be how much SW gets into game action, but CB clearly 5th of 5.

Backcourt is going to be interesting. AP is playing and a lot. MM is going to get his 30+. How CS AD MS and SC break will be interesting. CS had early heads up and it was interesting when MS and CS were in game at same time minus MM that Reed had MS at 1 and CS off the ball. CS had an okay game, forced some shots and wasn’t terribly accurate and got caught down low a lot, but did some nice things. SC is still working his was bak and didn’t look close to 100 percent.

toddcudd
    Participant

Had some interaction with the guy who runs a Gopher’s blog last week. Thought I’d share his thoughts, for what it’s worth. This was in response to a message I sent him, “hope that was better than your exhibitions”:

<p>@toddcudd Much, much better. Price/Kempton show promise.</p>— Down with Goldy (@DownwithGoldy) November 9, 2013

<

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.