Great year WHAT DO WE NEED FOR NEXT YEAR??

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Great year WHAT DO WE NEED FOR NEXT YEAR??

This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by van van 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

We lost to a better team. Glaring fact is that both the OL and DL were outmatched

We lose 25 seniors.

On O 7 starters and 2 second string.
    On D 7 starters and 4 second string

Hopefully wont lose any coaches ;)

Suggestions on our greatest needs.

Evident that Mike is not the answer. I love the guy. Tough, good runner. Good arm also, but has not shown he can make correct reads which is key to our offense. Hback slot ala Fitz maybe. he’s too good an athlete to let sit.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

NDSU a great team to lose to — they were very well coached and, as someone said earlier in the week, they might not have monster lineman, but they surely were great athletes. The one sweep-type play on the second half where the right side of the LU defense was facing three or four fast, line-sized guys pulling around the left side of the NDSU side was scary.

We seemed to be giving them room up the middle, but …

As for next year, Kurfis and Fernandez-Soto look like excellent replacements for Drwal and Jefferson. QB is the question. My hope is it’s a soph. or junior who can grow into the position. Colvin would be a good addition in the backfield — imagine the depth with Barket, Colvin, Sherman and Dormevil. OL losing a lot, but guys coming back with experience, too .

Lots of losses at LB — but LU has found a way to get a lot of kids playing time (I think two big guys got their first taste ever yesterday) and Gordon stepped in in a big way yesterday. Flizack’s wing span is a big loss, too … DBs should be strong, kicking game should be OK. Could use some more speed on special teams.

Actually, could be a pretty good year if coaches stay and whomever plays at QB makes few mistakes.

You’ve got to give Coen & Co. a lot of credit for recruiting depth the past few years and for giving kids quality game time so they could just step in when it was their turn. Was this senior class — a pretty amazing one — the first one he was fully responsible for?

It will be sad to see them go. How can you replace guys like Lum, Groome, Newton, Flizack, etc.? They were fun to watch and help to bring Lehigh back to national prominence. Congrats!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

While I said previously kicking game in OK — it’s just that: good, consistent for PL play, perhaps — and as good/consistent as we’ve seen in some time at LU.

What happens the past few weeks if we can find a kicker who can kick the ball consistently into the end zone on KOs, who can hit 75 percent of FGs inside the 50? Lehigh could have been up 6-0 yesterday and had a different offensive game plan with a kicker more likely to be found in schools like Montana or at the BCS level.

And while Divers is a solid punter, you can look at the numbers from yesterday to see where we’re giving up 20 yards and field position sometimes. The NDSU punter was outstanding.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Anyone know what’s up with the Box Score?

It listed a freshman, No. 92, Tyler Coyle, starting as NG for LU.

Nos. 34 and 31, Barket, and Jamil Robinson (I could not find on roster) were listed as having tackles.

I believe I saw LBs — Nos. 51, Jared Heschke (listed in a TV graphic as starting), and No. 53 Chris Geist — in there, but they were not listed as playing in the box score.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good catch, wish I had a good explanation :shock: .

Nice to see 2 of the top lb recruits get a mention but I dont recall seeing them in game but hey I’m old ;)

Our FG kicking sucks. Both our lines were outclassed by NDSU. Between the 2 we have 2 starters back. Lots of work there as unlikely that next year’s recruits will be able to step right in. I would look to Parris and Murphy to step up at wr. LB 3 lettermen back almost a totally new cast of characters.

Q is Coen will recruit a full squad as always but for us where do we need someof them NOW to step into serious PT

van
    van
    Participant

Offense, here is my position by position thoughts about next year:

QB – with Lum graduating, who steps in? This will be a big question mark. Can Colvin step up and run the offense or Bialkowski beat him out? Definitely will be a work in progress next year.

OL – 3 starters graduating. Seems that there are some quality guys in the wings. Hood, Vuono, Lippincott, Rugg, ??

TE – Haggins and Anderson should be solid. No drop off here.

WR – Looks like Spadola, Sergio and Kurfis. Not sure if any of the Frosh are ready to step in?

FB – Farrell seemed to disappear this year, He and Hayden both very solid.

RB – Can Barket recover from his injury? Sherman oft injured. This could be a strength of the team or a big hole to fill.

Comments? Any insight on rising Sophs that can break out like Spadola.

van
    van
    Participant

Defense, here is my position by position thoughts about next year:

DB – only need to replace Littlejohn at safety. Ward or Hill maybe. Not sure what depth we have here as there was little playing time for anyone else this year. Need to develop some depth here.

DL – We need 6 solid guys here to keep the rotation going. Bianchi, Chagani and Verderame can make one platoon. Who replaces Flizack, Dokouslis, and Knapp? Newton maybe for one, not sure who else.

LB – Lot of turnover here. Groome and Newton big shoes to fill. Boyko, Gordon, Loughery and Muhammad figure to have inside track for 4 spots. Any rising Sophs ready to step up?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

The ‘great’ thing about college football is there are no ‘long term contracts’ and you are constantly ‘reloading’. I think we’ll be fine with the skill positions. QB will be okay, but the question is can it be good. Asking anyone to replicate Lum’s year is impossible, but big Q’s on Colvin’s ability to be "prime time" as a QB. He’s a strong runner and needs to be on the field, though. I think the difference will be which QB can ‘handle’ the offense by reading the defenses, adjusting and knowing when to come back for another play rather than forcing the issue.

OL should be pretty solid with starters noted above, but depth needed. DL should also be strong-especially with Chagani, who I think can be All-American material.

While Divers improved over the year, we really could use a long distance kicker. As pointed out, with a Matt Douglass, we could have tried 2-3 FGs early in the game that can change a game’s complexion. Maybe Divers can strengthen the leg with some kind of offseason program?

Past two years should help in the recruiting wars as Lehigh has returned to the top of the PL heap and one of the premier programs in the East. Will be interesting to follow the news on the "incoming".

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Frosh to watch

Douglas OL
    Parris wr
    Murphy wr
    Colgate te
    Wilmington db
    Suggs rb/db
    Sodeke rb
    Caldwell db
    grossnickle dl
    Gonos lb
    Coyle lb
    Heshke lb
    Poutier qb
    Daryush O/DL
    Gyles DL
    ReminingtonDL

Lehigh74
    Participant

I thought I had heard that Tim Newton is a very good DL prospect.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

He is but at 6’5 and just 225 he needs a bit more weight and strenght. Since he loves to block passes, from what I saw preseason perhaps a situational sub like Richie Owens was until his senior year. Owens started out at 6’5 210 . 6’6 270 as a senior.

Dire need of a Nose tackle to spell Chagani . We have bunches of athletic DLinemen but not much size.

van
    van
    Participant

Agree with Rich on DL size. I remember how much I packed on from Freshman to Soph year. Maybe Newton adds 20# of muscle by next year. Seems to me that Flizack was similar, and he turned out to be pretty darn good.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Highlight films can be deceiving, but Poutier’s was very impressive at QB. You probably can Google them all or visit youtube.com.

Good news for any QB is he should have an outstanding corps of receivers — something relatively lacking pre-Drwal/Spadola.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Poutier very athletic with strong arm. Can he do progressions? As he is vertically challenged, would expect Dave to adapt to a more mobile O set,if he takes spot

One of the QBs on recruit list Loughery from Hun School in NJ more prototypical at 6’5 220.

MichaelR
    Participant

With Sapdola and Kurfis you have a pair of 4.45 40 guys on each side. There are many elite D1 schools that do not have that combo. Add a sure handed Soto in slot and the wideouts is a QB’s dream, faster than this years team. The QB question must be quickly resolved to give the starter a chance to get the ball to these guys.

Again a possible cruise through Patriot league but without a solid running game and O line, the results will a third ring and a 1st or 2nd round loss. Both Running game with Barkett injury and losses in Oline will be a question. But then again, we thought OLine would be a question this year and they performed quite well.

It will be another interesting year.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.