Head scratcher

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Head scratcher

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by marco marco 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Can’t quite figure this one out. Sam Dunkum, who we were recruiting 2 years ago, is leaving Lafayette. He was out last year with an injury, and hasn’t see the floor this year. Lafayette looks pretty awful (again) this year. But Dunkum is good enough to be picked up by Creighton. Wut??

Dunkum to Creighton

TMH
    Participant

I learned many years ago that normal rules do not apply to 7 footers. For most colleges, a commitment is year by year and colleges are willing to take a flyer on anyone that tall. Years ago, Holy Cross got Neil Fingleton from UNC. Morakinyo Williams transferred from Kentucky to Duquesne. Neither flourished at the smaller programs either, both averaging about 2 ppg.

Side note: Fingleton who is now listed as almost 7’8″ has a fledgling career as a villain going for him now.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2807170/

toddcudd
    Participant

I still find it weird for him to transfer “up” – considering Fran hadn’t even played him yet. Unless he’d made his decision before the season started. {shrug}

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Note that Dunkum is going to Creighton as a walk-on. If he plays well in practice, he can earn a scholarship next year, but I think that is far from likely. He was no better than a project at the PL-level, which makes him a real long shot for the Big East. He is definitely not Maurice Watson Jr.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.
    marco
    marco
    Participant

If he cannot step away, face the basket and reliably shoot threes, he’s useless to FOH. Bill Walton would find no role in this offense.

O’Hanlon is a relic. He is the epitome of the square peg, round hole coach. His offense is what it is…he is thebball version of Tavani…amazing!

TMH
    Participant

Given next year’s roster, Lehigh may very well be playing the same style of offense next year IMHO.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=30081]If he cannot step away, face the basket and reliably shoot threes, he’s useless to FOH. Bill Walton would find no role in this offense.

[/quote]

I think that’s a bit of an exaageration.

– Klinewski almost never shoots the three, yet he is LC’s second best player and plays major minutes.

– Trist didn’t shoot even one three in his four years but was an All-PL player, played a lot of minutes, and was a key to their offense. If he hadn’t fouled so much, he would rarely have left the floor. .

– Mintz rarely shot a three, and did not shoot them well, yet he played major minutes and made All-PL.

O’Hanlon definitely wants four three-point shooters on the floor, but he is fine with one big man who doesn’t shoot the three.

marco
    marco
    Participant

So I guess that means he can’t play with his back to the basket either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.