Hoops Budgets for PA/NJ/DE

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Hoops Budgets for PA/NJ/DE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

PA, NJ and DE D1 BBall Budgets 2012-2013

Pretty shocking graph. Penn and Princeton are the lowest because they Ivy schools don’t give scholarships which would be worth (roughly) 45k x 13 = $585,000 annually. I’m shocked that Lehigh is outspent by Wagner, Rider, NJIT, Monmouth and others. Clearly, Lehigh has been getting a TON of bang for it’s buck over the past few seasons, but it seems like it would be in line with our peers to up the spending a bit. Maybe an uptick in attendance/donations with some sustained success would increase the budget a bit.

I’m surprised enough by these figures that I think schools may be reporting them differently. That may account for schools with much smaller athletic departments outspending Lehigh.

lehigh90
    Participant

Wow, that is a shocker. Not at the top, for sure, but some of those midlevel teams are really bad. I went to Lehigh at NJIT a couple of years ago. It was a middle school gym with about 40 people in the stands. Ojo went off in that game.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

What the article calls 2012-13 expenses are not. They are taken directly from the Equity in Athletics database and are called “2011” expenses on that site. Not sure if that means 2010-11 or 2011-12. Might well be the former.

You are correct that schools often categorize items differently – which sometimes makes a big difference. There are a number of items that can be billed specifically to a sport or simply made part of the overall athletic budget.

As for NJIT, one reason their expenses are so high is that they were in a league that required separate road trips to rural Virginia, Chicago, Utah, Houston, North Dakota, California, and finally Chicago again (this time for four days). In earlier years, their expenses were even higher because they rented the Prudential Center for some games.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.