Jesse Chuku (commit next year)

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Jesse Chuku (commit next year)

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

In a normal case – with no damage other than the ACL – he should have been ready to play within 7-8 months tops. Some players have returned in less than 6 months.

Was there any word on whether there was damage other than to the ACL?

LUHoops00
    Participant

I’ve not heard of any, but I recall someone else mentioning something that might cause him to miss next year. Can someone respond and update everyone?

Bison – how do you rank LU/BU/HC/AU recruiting classes versus one another 1-4?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I know you didn’t ask me Hoops, but I’m goin to go ahead and take a stab at your question anyway. I think LU and HC are a toss up at 2/3.

1) BU – I think Hoffman will be a great pick up for them. He plays for a top H.S. program and I have read that he is having an A-10 caliber senior year. He should also fit in extremely well in their system. Hass puts up insane numbers against weak competition, but it certainly appears to me that the kid knows how to put the ball in the basket. Could be a tough adjustment for him initially. And Frazier the PG has been playing against elite prep school competition for years and seems like he could contribute as a steady floor general type from Day 1. FWIW, Frazier is ranked ahead of Chuku and Eric Green (HC) by NERR.

2) LU – A lot of wildcards here. Chuku missed his entire jr year so it is hard to know what other offers he may have had. Definitely has an interesting skill set and clearly loves to shoot the 3. Reminds me of Greneir as far as build and athleticism. His behind the head shooting form scares me a bit, and I’ve yet to see him put it on the floor much, but who cares how it looks if it goes in. Devon Carter seems to have had a slightly dissappointing sr year but looks like a very good athlete for this level. He did not have a ton of offers when he committed, but does seem to be well regarded locally and clearly by ESPN. Goldsborough got off to a really slow start but has picked it up lately although his team is awful despite two D1 players (albeit against good comp). There is little to no info and video on him, so it is tough to judge. Someone said he had a bunch of offers, but I have not found evidence of any other offers anywhere on the internet.

2A) HC – Cullen Hamilton is another guy putting up great numbers against weak competition (but better comp than Hass), but appears to be a solid shooter/scorer. Eric Green is by all acounts a super athlete for the PL which should play into Milan Brown’s system. He also plays for a top prep program and should handle the transition to the PL well. The big man Baker seems to be a bit of a project, but has a great genes, and big man are oftentimes a crapshoot.

4) AU – Only two incoming guys that I know off in Jesse Reed and Zach Elcano. Elcano held offers from Fairfield and U Del as well as interest from Davidson, Winthrop, and some other good mid major programs. Looks like a good get for AU. Not a lot of info on Reed but he prepped in order to go D1 but it looks like AU was likely his only offer when he committed.

• This reply was modified 12 years, 1 month ago by StablerBum StablerBum.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Tried to find some info on McCarthy.There was a post that his return was problematical at best as injury worse , w/o any supporting info. Do recall some local articles on McCarthy back around Mich game, noted the injury but also that he would return next season. ?????

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Nice analysis. Two additional players, plus a comment:

1. Holy Cross also signed Chris Morgan, a 6’6″ (maybe 6’7″) forward from the Norfolk area of VA. Plays for a terrible team in a good league. Seems like he has a suspect outside shot but is good in the paint. When he committed in June of last year, it appears that HC was the first school to give him an offer.

http://thecollegecourt.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/holy-cross-signs-four-to-national-letters-of-intent/

2. AU also signed 6-4 SG Billy Dooley from Chestnut Hill (PA) Academy. Supposedly had offers from Colgate and Monmouth. Dooley is a good 3-point shooter and supposedly well-schooled by his Dad, who used to be Richmond’s head coach, but he is not a high-ranked player. Could easily help AU as a 3-point sniper. Dooley missed the latter part of the season with an injury.

AU also has offers out to several different PG’s. I expect them to sign one of them in the spring signing period and maybe also a forward. It appears they have five available scholarships for this year.

– – – – –

3. AU’s Reed had offers at one point during his true H.S. senior year from Robert Morris and St. Francis (PA) but they were pulled when they got commitments from other players.

4. Link to the NERR rankings of New England players referenced above. In addition to the BU, LU, and HC signees, there is also an LC center on the list:
    http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new_england.php

5. I think your evaluation of the Bucknell players is accurate. Two of the three committed by Christmas of their junior year and the third (Hoffman) by March of his junior year, so I hope the BU coaching staff evaluated them accurately. I’d hate to sign up average PL players that early in the game.

Hoffman, btw, had an offer from LaSalle midway through his junior year. The way he has played this year, he might have received a lot of A-10 offers and perhaps some from higher programs. Hoffman had 24 points and 12 rebounds against Mater Dei, then ranked #7 in the U.S., and he also went for 22 and 10 against another nationally ranked team. Numbers like that against strong opposition make me optimistic about him. OTOH, I’m not sold on Frazier – although I have not seen him in person. All I know is that his shooting pct, including shots from beyond the arc, is mediocre at best. Hopefully he knows how to run a team and is quick enough to stay in front of small, fast opposition PG’s.

lehigh90
    Participant

StablerBum, I am not sure if it is accurate to say Devon Carter has had a disappointing senior year. His team, John Jay, is not a strong team, but he has put up strong numbers for them. For the info I have been able to find, of the reported games, he is averaging just over 20 ppg, with several games over 25. Assist totals in reported games also are strong. He is pretty much a one man show. There is less info on Chuku, but most game reports from KUA games show him scoring about 14 a game. His team is good in a good league. There is virtually no info on Goldsborough, but the little I found showed he is not much of a scorer. A lot of games in single digits, and I would guess he averages about 12 ppg. His team is terrible, and it looks like the top scorer is a Navy commit.

lehigh90
    Participant

On McCarthy, if he is out for more than this season, it must be more than an ACL. Perhaps he tore more than just the ACL, say the MCL with it, or both and meniscus damage. Or, there was complications with the graft used. There must be more to the story, because a straight ACL is not a career ender these days.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Thanks SBum and Bison – Agreed 90, I think DC has had a good senior year, think they’re in playoffs or heading to playoffs this weekend.

Anyone who can get some inside info on KM, please do, this is important to understand where we are from depth standpoint, cause without him this is different front court next year.

lehigh90
    Participant

Carter apparently had A-10 offer in LaSalle and also solid Siena program.

Carter Picks the “Perfect Fit”

lehigh90
    Participant

Here is best info I can find on Devon Carter this season. Note that although they say he scored 346 in 25 games, there are no game reports for 8 of the games, so in the reported games, he has scored 346 in 17 games or 20.35 ppg. A number of big games along the way of 25+. The assist total of 28 is only in 3 reported games, so in those games he averaged 9.33 assists per game.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/player/-carter-19/

• This reply was modified 12 years, 1 month ago by  lehigh90.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

StablerBum, I am not sure if it is accurate to say Devon Carter has had a disappointing senior year.

You’re right ’90, that language might be a little harsh. I said that based on his team going from pre-season #9 in Cleveland to unranked despite the incoming transfer of a D1 quality junior. DC also had some poor showings against some good competition early in the year as well as some injury problems (they most likely go hand in hand). DC has certainly picked it up lately, and his team is still alive in the playoffs, so I take back my “dissappointing” comment. I think I may have raised expectations to an unreasonable level on my own. If we combine all of the reported offers to DC from multiple articles (admittedly these lists aren’t always accurate) it becomes a pretty impressive list: LaSalle, Columbia, Siena, Murray State, Central Michigan, and Bethune-Cookman.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think DC is going to be a starter next season. Obviously, you have 4 returning starters (CM, GK, HG and MM). JH is gone as is JA, who have started this season. So, possibilities next year are AD, SC at a 2 guard spot, CB at a 4 spot (don’t see them as likely starters), don’t see CS as a starter (back up at PG), so it comes down to BB or DC, or another frosh like Chuku (2 or 3) or Goldsborough (4 spot). I think DC is probably furthest along at this point, so I think the only possibilities are really DC or BB. If it goes that way, Lehigh is going to be rather small in the starting 5. I guess it is possible that KM can come back and be a starting 5, moving GK to the 4, HG to a more natural 3, with CM at the 2, and MM at the 1. That would probably be the best case scenario.

Lehigh needs this incoming group to be a very strong class. Cupboard is a bit bare other than the current junior class. Really in the sophomore and freshman classes you are only getting large contributions from MM, and an emerging BB, with a smaller contribution from CS.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.