Keep the Focus!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Keep the Focus!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Amazing. Lehigh still has not played a full game, and yet, is an offensive juggernaut. Now, Barket blasts onto the scene when someone tries to take away the WRs. Haggins also now showing his skill level. Way too many major penalties…some were questionable (the offensive pass interference, the roughing the punter) but the hit out of bounds on top of the facemask was unbelieveable. So there is some ‘focus’ needed, as those mistakes will kill us against an elite FCS team…and we know how bad some of the playoff officiating can be.

Holy Cross should be coming down with fire, helped stoked by former DC Gilmore, with something to prove after their debacle with Georgetown. Turnovers were huge in that outcome. Hopefully, we came out fo ‘gate with no major injuries. Still need to clean up the PK game, too. Another blocked PAT. SMH.

Don’t meant to be at all negative. Just trying to be realistic. This team is great and I’d hate to see it beat itself at some point down the road. Need to focus.

van
    van
    Participant

I suppose we are over critical at times, but I too long for the day when we play a completely clean game without the glaring errors. This team could beat anyone under that scenario.

MichaelR
    Participant

I’m a bit worried about an at times pourous defense against average passing attacks. At times we seem to be a step slow against the pass. Not so much an issue in Patriot but I’m worried as playoffs loom.

MR

TMH
    Participant

I thought that the only 2 glaring problems in the Colgate game were bad penalties (most were mental errors, other IMO were questionable) and pass defense. I wonder how much the latter was scheming vs personel mistakes. Biddle chose to focus on stopping Spadola and we responded by running very effectively and throwing to our tight ends. Perhaps our scheme was devoted to stopping Eachus which left holes in the zone which Colgate took advantage of.

My biggest question….can Colvin throw a football?

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

You’ve got to give credit all over on offense, not just the players, but the coaching (Remember comments on this board during Lembo’s tenure and early in the Coen tenure?).

Until Cecchini got here, folks on this board questioned all sorts of calls. Other than a couple early yesterday — including giving Colvin the ball the first time on 4th and three — the offensive play calling has been masterful, clearly adapting to the other team’s tactics.

On D, I thought the constant mix of dropping guys back in coverage on one play and heavy blitzing on others had to drive the CU O batty.

This year’s LU team is sound in several key areas: few dropped passes, few missed tackles, few HUGE mistakes — though those second-half penalties were ugly (and there could have been one for roughing the passer). But some of that is to be expected on a hard-nosed team.

Can Colvin pass in game situations? We’ll probably find out when it really matters. (What a nice option play to get that first down yesterday.)

One thing’s for certain. There sure is a lot of depth at several positions. What a great day for Boyko. And Tyler Ward’s fun to watch.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Colvin has an excellent arm if not great mechanics, not as accurate as you would like. Has improved his reads quite a bit. BB will have a more than 50-50shot ar starting. Scary btu poitier is the best of the lot.
    isn’t it nice to have a healthy Zach finally.

Farrell back on travel squad. Noticed that Andy brought a couple of squad kids on the trip burke and Kablan. Sweet for Tony who has put his time in w/o being able to break into 2 deep.

If only Littlejohn could catch. 2ndary pretty solid Biddle added a bunch of new sets that confused D for a while. Rivas got some goodPT ,Groome and Boyko superg as was Ben.

Cross good across the board but not exceptional anywhere. Look at Hoya stats. GU did little to win game while Cross did their level best to lose. Of the 2 Gu will be a tougher game. they are confident.

TMH
    Participant

Was the weather much of a factor in the Holy Cross-Georgetown game?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

From what I read weather not a major factor,unlike Fordham game. Cross had a 12:00 start

Bill
    Participant

Guys

My power / sat. went out early during the game, so I missed a lot. Can you tell me why we are worried about Colvin throwing the ball? Please don’t tell me something happened to Lum!

Thanks

Historian
    Participant

Lum is fine, I think people I wondering if Colvin will ever throw a pass from the wildcat.

I was especially impressed by the OLine play on Saturday. Barket had some huge holes to run through. It helped that Colgate decided to play its safeties in a different zip code.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Understand why Gate to 2 deep zone coverage to double 8 & 9 but ( it was an effective D for that) they were so deep could not even see them in TV picture onthe snap. Gate LBs went with the flow almost everytime, counter plays killed them and dbs too deep or wide to help. Wasn’t Fitz’s run a thing of beauty? :D

Historian
    Participant

Misdirection worked very well against the Colgate D, which was not very experienced/disciplined. Thrown backs also very successful, like on Barket’s four TD.

TheFan
    Participant

Coen is setting up opposing teams when Colvin is in. Just when you least expect it, whamooo….he will finally throw and complete a pass in a meaningful game winning situation!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Would not be surprised if you are not correct.Coen did it a couple of times last year . I dont recall Mike throwing off the option tjis year. His throws as I recall all off regular sets

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I think The Fan is right on Colvin throwing.

I bet Cecchini & Co. have a lot of plays up their sleeve waiting for the right time. They haven’t had to use much this year since offense has been so keen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.