Kempton_Muscala

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Kempton_Muscala

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

I have always thought that Mike Muscala has provided a sort of blueprint for what it would take for a Patriot League big man to get to the NBA. What intrigues me the most is the progression that MM made every year to get better. Although their skill sets differ a little, they seem to be on the same trajectory.

Muscala Pts Pct Rebounds Assists Blocks
    Soph 14.9 .517 7.3 1.4 2.0
    Junior 17.0 .503 9.1 1.8 1.7

Kempton
    Soph 15.3 .499 8.7 1.0 .36

Both won the MVP in their sophomore year. I’m not interested in who is better but I think we have benchmarks that Tim needs to shoot for next season.

toddcudd
    Participant

The most glaring difference to me is in the “blocks” category. Would love to see that go up. But, more important I think, will be the assists. Watched Clark Kellogg do a short piece about development of a college big men, and he felt that the passing was one of last areas to develop for young guys. I think TKs response when he gets jammed up will be a BIG determining factor for us.

TMH
    Participant

I just thought I would revisit this topic for a moment

Pts Pct Rebounds Assists Blocks
    Mike Muscals (jr) 17.0 .503 9.1 1.8 1.7
    Tim Kempton (jr) 17.4 .537 8.3 1.4 .4

It seems to me that except for the glaring lack of blocks, TK remains on the same trajectory as MM who has carved out a nice niche in the NBA.

(If the #s don’t align righ, I apologize. I tried.)

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Kempton is a monster talent. His moves to the basket are great. He has spurts where he’s really unstoppable. Technically he has great aspects of his game suited for PL play.

To me, where he gets into issues is mental freezes. Yesterday he fouled a Lafayette drive to the basket to draw a completely senseless foul – it seems like once or twice a game, he does that. Sometimes his ball awareness seems like it could be better – a couple times a game, a pass headed his way sails out of bounds.

Kempton seems destined to go down as one of the greats. Whether he can become an NBA player depends on that concentration. IMO.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think Tim has a decent shot to play some in the NBA. Perhaps a second rounder or a free agent signing who hangs on. His last name and pedigree will open some doors. But, I think he could stick as an end of the bench big at the next level. I think, however, he is lacking a couple of things that Muscala had. Muscala better rebounder, tougher defender, and better shot blocker. Those are things the NBA seems to like in your late rotation big men.

TMH
    Participant

Just a quick update

Pts Pct Rebounds Assists Blocks
    Mike Muscals (jr) 17.0 .503 9.1 1.8 1.7
    Tim Kempton (jr) 17.5 .543 9.3 1.5 .5

lehigh90
    Participant

TK really impressed me in the Army game. He looks much more athletic than earlier in his career, and his interior post footwork (drop step, etc.) is really, really good. He can finish in so many ways, and he is very effective in the high pick and roll game, that drives the NBA. He would need to add some bulk to play in the NBA, but I think he has a nice offensive game, and is learning to be an effective rebounder and defender. I think he will be in the NBA after his Lehigh career, in a role similar to MM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.