Know Your 2010 Opponents: Drake

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Know Your 2010 Opponents: Drake

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by van van 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.co … drake.html

Time to start early scouting on Lehigh’s opponents in 2010. Think Drake is going to be a walkover? Think again. Senior DE Dain Taylor isn’t just statistically one of the best defensive linemen in FCS, he’s got NFL scouts looking over his potential at the next level.

LU65
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more about Drake, LFN. Here are some comments I offered up on an earlier post under other topical heading……

Scary preseason numbers, if you ask me. I guess, as noted above, LU is #45 in a nation of 120+ schools competing in the FCS this year. I like it……….We’re a bit under the radar and a team full of potential. Our test, however, will come early and often, facing not only the preseason # 1 (Villanova) and #6 (New Hampshire) picks in a 14 day period of time but two other team that are very much – or nearly so – our equal in Drake and Princeton. All this before the leaves begin to turn. Can’t think of a tougher September slate. Go 4-0 and be named the top team in America. Go 3-1 and capture the attention of Holy Cross, Colgate and Lafayette with a well-deserved bye week to prepare for Fordham. Go 2-2 and be happy you escaped September. Go 1-3 and start to worry if we have what it’ll take to compete for the PL championship. Go 0-4 and back up the trucks.

As for those Bulldogs of Drake, don’t think they haven’t got this game circled on their calendar. After all, it is their home-opener, they will be playing under the lights, and looking to show us and the rest of the PL that they (Pioneer League) have arrived and are deserving of an auto-bid to the playoffs in 2011. I can guarantee you that they’ll be ready for us after their dismal showing at Goodman two years ago in the rain. The results were in no way indicative of their talent. It was also Coach Creighton’s first game as head Bulldog. This is a guy with a .773 (109-32) lifetime winning percentage and already 14-8 at Drake. Oh yeah, the team has won 12 of their last 16 games. Talent wise, they’ve got plenty of it, too. You might want to start by looking at their D-line and couple of guys named Asbell and Taylor – both seniors and players who have caught the eye of Viking and Cowboy scouts. Should be a good test for us.

The Princeton Tigers. Go figure. We’re 1-3 in our last four games. Our losses have been by 3, 3, and 4 points. We haven’t beaten this team at Goodman since 2003.

Yes, September will be telling. With all the hype of facing the reigning champs (Villanova) and another Wildcat team named the University of New Hampshire, I just just hope we don’t overlook the two games we should win.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

While we are , perhaps justifiably, accused of overweening arrogance, it is refreshing to see our real insecurity come to the fore ;) . drake will not be an easy game but we will win. Drake has some nice individuals but not nearly enough depth , Speed will I think be the biggest difference

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Yes, Drake is a team we cannot overlook. They certainly have enough tools to spank us if we’re not ready. Man for man, I certainly believe we should win, but starting out on a long road game is not easy.

I’m planning on going. Room available on charter flight with the team. Should be a very interesting trip. I’ve heard Des Moines is a pretty good ‘small city’. Never experience "heaven" before ("No, this is Iowa"). ;)

LU65
    Participant

Drake opened camp yesterday. Read Coach Creighton’s comments………

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti … =204974238

LU65
    Participant

"Rabid" is the watchword at Drake this year. Read (first link) and listen (second link) to what Coach Creighton has to say about his team this year. D line gets special praise. With National Champs, Villanova, on the horizon, the Mountain Hawks begin the year with what can best be described as a "trap" game.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl … title-hunt

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti … =204978799

LU65
    Participant

A Coach Creighton team-building event at Drake. A good break from "two-a-days," I’m sure.

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti … =204980316

LU65
    Participant

A last look at Drake and it’s coach before the season opener……………..

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti … =204981140

Gotta like the way this guy, Coach Creighton, come across. And, for the matter the school itself. Ineligible for an auto bid to the playoffs this year – coming out of the Pioneer League – the university went out and wisely scheduled 10 Division I FCS opponents. A superior record – beginning with a "W" on 9/4 – would put them in line for an at large bid come late November.

Two 5th year senior DEs, Taylor (6’3", 251) and Asbell (6’5", 264) with NFL on their minds will surely make their presence known. Quick slants and power running up the middle may be the featured plays of the day for the Brown and White.

Might be time to sign up for Lehigh Game Central if you haven’t already.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I think the other thing going Drake’s way is Lum/Colvin will be like rookies. Losing JB will be big for at least a few weeks.

Lum is unlikely to become a star right away, completing less than 50 percent last year, and Colvin really has never played QB at this level.

I’m optimistic, but there are bound to be mistakes early.

van
    van
    Participant

I think Sunday has it right, Lum an unknown right now. Just hope the D is enough to get us by a solid Drake team. This one has me worried. On the other hand, if the offense is just efficient, I will be pleased.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.