Lack of size 101

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Lack of size 101

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Miller
    Participant

Been waiting for someone to say it,but maybe many don’t know. Lehigh football has used the philosophy of-football moves, resistance lifting ,and flexibility in the weight room. Not many programs use these techniques as their main focus. How many Dbs,Lbs,DEs,TEs,Rbs,WRs show up to college and have talent but need a year or 2 in the weight room? I did not mention our O-line because we do have size there. Lehigh will struggle, and we fans will always complain about the lack of size until we decide to lift for bulk and maximum strength. A 6-5 senior DE should not weigh only weigh 245lbs if he has been in the program 4 years. You should be able to chart gains on each player every year. I do not see much, sometimes no weight gain. Ed and Eric are great men,but wonder if we need a change at strength conditioning and off season workouts. Just my thoughts…………….

Lehigh74
    Participant

Don’t know enough about it to comment intelligently about what you are saying. However, I must say I am surprised that Newton still weights 245 pounds as a senior and that Caslow came back for his sophomore season at 210 pounds. Football is a game of size and strength (in addition to speed) and it is reasonable to expect these guys to put on 10 or more pounds in the off season.

lu90
    Participant

A 6-5 senior DE should not weigh only weigh 245lbs if he has been in the program 4 years.

Here are the top 3 DE picked in last years NFL draft. Not saying we have any NFL draft prospects on the defensive line, but considering we are comparing an FCS DE with the Top 3 NFL draft picks, I’d say at 6’5″ and 245 lbs, we’re in the ball park.

Jadeveon Clowney 6’5″ 266 lbs – 1st pick
    Dee Ford – 6’2″ – 252 lbs – 23rd pick
    DeMarcus Lawrence – 6’3″ – 260 – 34th pick

But to take it a step further, after reviewing the average size of defensive ends in the other Patriot League schools….seems pretty consistent.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

There is an extensive weight program at LU. Just check kids comlaints about leg days. Roster has not been updated. Nick is at least 10 lbs heavier. Stubbs was over 250going into camp.
    Harvey,Kauffman,Kelsey and many more are wgt junkies. Palma spent the summer with a trainer bulking up. Is it as intensive as an SEC school? Well our kids actually have to go to class and study.
    Even TV announcers remarked on roster not having been updated.
    Why Newton hasn’t put on wgt may have more to do with his body type rather than lack of wgt training. We recruited a lit of tall thin DL players. Lack of weight has more to do with that. Last 2 classes bulkier tall guys :)

Miller
    Participant

I figured on a few naive answers.If people are happy with the size of players and how we train, then stop complaining about a size difference. If we want to get to the top of the FCS on a regular basis,things must change.Rich, another quality excuse about going to class and study,when Jan. thru Aug. ALL the kids have much more time to condition and lift, versus in-season with that regiment. You can do both and both well. Get bigger and stronger as a team, or us fans will just have to settle on mediocre or disappointing results.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Geez,take a breath. My point which you blithely ignore is that LU has a mandatory wgt and fitness program for football players. Other than Guyles every DLineman has put on wgt in the program. Yeah,IMO line still too small. Answer recruit bigger players. Mitchell 260( up from 245), Stubbs 250( up from 230),Smith ,dont know, fr Cavenas at A-S game was over 270,Gille and Johnson 250.Much bigger frame guys. The frosh wll all put on some wgt.
    I bitched all last yr and this about DL. Whether just size unlikely. Ability must be a major factor. Some of our best DL have been between 245 and 260.
    I would dearly love to see Cavenas in at NG. Huge jump from smallest HS class in Pa to LU. Hope he can adjust fast.

TMH
    Participant

Just an observation but over the last few years we’ve had a glut of really sizable OL. I’m guessing that many of them played on both sides of the ball in HS. Shouldn’t we pick 1 or 2 and make them a run stuffing NG?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Couldn’t hurt. Actually,there was some talk going into spring 2 yrs ago of moving Camasta to NG. Certainly would be a spaceeater. Remember Brailler from Ore. 330 lb NG. G
    Missed his girlfriend transferred to Portland St. Wouldn’t a similar guy be nice now.
    Dont know how practical or effective a switch might be. Guess the subject has come up with coaches.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Good post LU90.

Here’s what I saw in the Patriot League Player of the Week release. Two Bucknell DLs were listed, one pretty big guy (the second one):

FRESHMAN: DOUG WHITLOCK, BUCKNELL Fr., DE, 6-2, 250; Monmouth Beach, N.J./Red Bank Catholic/Navy Prep
    Whitlock was part of a dominant defensive effort for the Bison as he registered three tackles and two sacks in a 22-0 shutout of Marist on Saturday. The Bison posted their first shutout since the 2011 season and held the Red Foxes to 19 rushing yards, with Whitlock recording two of the team’s five sacks.

SENIOR: DEMETRIUS BALDWIN-YOUNGBLOOD, BUCKNELL Sr., DL, 6-1, 285; Rankin, Pa./The Linsly School (W.Va.)
    Baldwin-Youngblood registered two of Bucknell’s five sacks in the 22-0 victory over Marist.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.