Lafayette's new coach

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Lafayette's new coach

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

hawktalker
    Participant

Leopards hired John Garrett, brother of Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.
    Has coached in NFL and in college. Was OC at Richmond this past season.
    This is his first shot at head coach. Can he turn that program around?

van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=30105]Can he turn that program around?

[/quote]probably not, they still have the same administration and faculty

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Yes; thanks for reporting this … Sounds like great hire with great pedigree, having played in the Ivy and coached last year at a quality school in Richmond. And someone who played a little and coached in the NFL (where his dad coached).

He’s got impressive connections. How many other PL coaches have such NFL connections?

Seems like Lafayette moved pretty quickly.

I think he’ll turn things around, and eventually will put serious pressure on LU, Fordham, Colgate, etc.

marco
    marco
    Participant

Garret’s dad coached Columbia. Wonder if this is partly why this guy has never been a head coach.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/24/sports/sports-of-the-times-jim-garrett-4th-and-long.html

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Different mentality back then. I played high school in the late ’60s and Lehigh early 70s. Wasn’t unusual for a coach to hit a player “to get his attention”. I remember Whitehead knocking a player to the ground in practice one day, when he was the OL coach. Different times, but really no reason to be abusive to make a point. If a person can only communicate a point by using violence, he’s got a problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.