Last Three Games

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Last Three Games

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Any thoughts after seeing results of BU-Colgate (wow!), LC-GT and FU-HC (wow!)?

My quick takeaways:

Lehigh has its hands full last three games, if we did not know that already. How cool would it be to go into last game with the PL title on the line and Lehigh having to win to win the head-to-head?

Bucknell’s CJ Williams is for real, and BU played without Will Carter, their leading receiver against LU — who looked very good last week. BU’s defense is for real.

HC and Lafayette QBs still look like the real deals, too …

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

The story going into the last three games is exactly what we knew it was going to be. Defense,defense, defense. The offense should score enough. The question is will the defense ever get off the field. I watched all three games. Based on yesterday, none of the three have great defenses. Holy Cross is by far the scariest offensively. Lafayette’s offense was efficient, but GU kept giving them the ball. When they didn’t, they moved quite effectively on LC. Colgate is really beat up.

If Coen hasn’t addressed the co-defensive coordinators issue, I think that we are guaranteed one more and likely two more losses.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree, Hawkineer. At best we are a longshot w/o BB. Do think O will not mail in any more games this year. Matt will be fine. We’ll score perhaps not as much.
    Realistically ,do any of us really think an extra week wil rectify our D? I hope it will help.If Andy can get it to mediocre, we should win 2. If not 1 win will be a miracle.

Leaving aside co-Ds ,the sole issue is the Dline. Most of the rest of our problems stem from that.The players we have our tal and athletic ideal for 4-3 set bt absent run stopper useless in a 3-4. LBs are fast,athletic and light.Since DL cant keep OLinemen off them they can do little to stop runs particularly up the middle. DBs are actually decent but with little pass rush and poorly schemed blitzes they are hung out too long. Been biching abot Hill always getting caught out of position. I was wrong. Not his fault he and Ward are forced up too often to do LBs job as DL does not protect LBs from opponent’s OL blocks.
    One genric fault for front 7 is the complete lack of gap control. Poor play or bad D calls ,not sure.
    Sanguine about fixing all of the issues by Cross.

Trying to do the same as we have all year makes no sense to me. The next 3 are all do or die games.If we can play at the same level as at Princeton we’ve got a shot.OL ,IMO is the key on O.
    On D, I WOULD DUMP 3-4 ,GO 4-3. 2 DTs inside should limit gut busters.From what I’ve seen Cross runs are Guild outside and Pujols. 4-3 allows a wider spead with front 7. We’ll see.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

All three games will be tough. Whether we have one or “co” coordinators means little. It is the personnel on the field as pointed out above. The D coaches have been around awhile, and spent a lot of time with Coach K, so the fact they are ‘co-coordinators’ is an easy target since it is unusual, but really shouldn’t have had an impact on what they are doing on the field. We’re getting “out-physicalled” up front. Can’t bring in any free agents, so we have to change up what the opponents are anticipating. With freshman QB’s need to try and bait and confuse them. With ‘gate it’s going to be McCarney. Spy him to death. Offense should be fine. McHale actually makes the QB run a more realistic option. WRs need to step up and get open and hold on. Who ever wins the PL will earn it.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Co-coordinators doesn’t matter in itself. However, when it impacts their ability to develop schemes that better reflect their strengths and try to hide their weaknesses, it matters. When it impacts their ability to actually coach their positions (d-line and dbacks), it matters. The secondary, which is not full of underclassmen, have been awful this year. That is a reflection on the coaches. Same with the d-line. Wilcher and Roberts are judging the talent and coaching them once their here. The buck stops…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Coaches and chefs are similar in that both are judged by the results of their efforts.I do not doubt the ability of Wilcher and Roberts as position coaches. Nor can I say that there is a definite problem with their ability to work well together as Co-Ds. I dont know. We can,however ,view the results of their efforts. A rather unpalatble meal.I still believe that individually there is a lot of talent on the field. The players w/o exception are quick and athletic. They remind me of Fordham’s D under Massella,filled with schollie kids. It was a Keystone Kops D. Ours is similar this year. The difference here IMO is the clear fact that our DL cannot perform its function in the 3-4. From there the dominoes fall with disastrous consequence. Size is part of the problem but not the whole answer. We’ve had good NGs over the years who were 260 or less. Layton is a converted LB. Remington a DE. Look at our roster of DLinemen and there are few that seem suitable for inside DL play. Lots of DEs.

Back to the last 3 games, what can be done to fix D ? Perhaps ,if changing basic sets not an option, we could go to the blitz til you drop D.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

One other key not mentioned here is MM’s inexperience at QB. I’m impressed by what I see, but … he’s got to keep it simple and not force the ball (as he and BB did a few times against BU).

If he does that, we should hum on offense … especially with how he scrambles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.