lehigh defense

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football lehigh defense

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

think the d-coach has some issues. lehigh is incredibly under-sized on the d-line…probably why he running a version of a 3-3-5. he’s hiding weaknesses. patriot league has alot of very big o-lines. also we face a lot of spread offenses. i guess his philosphy has to be if we cant place pressure on qb lets cover them for 5 seconds. either way you slice it lehigh will have to blitz a lot to get to the qb.(live by the blitz, die by the blitz.) hopefully we will stay healthy and put 45 a game up and hope we have the ball at the end of the game!!!you can blame the coaches all you want but if the talent isn’t in place it is very hard to stop anybody with zero size on the d-line. he’s tried to get bigger but cannot land the big dudes for his line. tough situation.

TMH
    Participant

Small DL? Lehigh has size on the DL. It may be a matter of putting them in the right position.

Mitchell 6-2 285#
    Cavenas 6=5 280#
    Gille 6=5 285#
    Lynn 6-4 285#
    Kauffman 6-2 260#
    Nace 6-2 265#
    Johnson 6-4 250#

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

[quote quote=27524]Small DL? Lehigh has size on the DL. It may be a matter of putting them in the right position.

Mitchell 6-2 285#
    Cavenas 6=5 280#
    Gille 6=5 285#
    Lynn 6-4 285#
    Kauffman 6-2 260#
    Nace 6-2 265#
    Johnson 6-4 250#

[/quote]

Lehigh is absolutely bigger along the DL than they were 2-3 years ago. Those sizes are plenty big enough for FCS football. The key is making sure those kids have upper body strength and good leverage.

I don’t think any position is affected more by not redshirting than the front 7 on defense. The ability to sit out and get physically stronger would make all the difference in the world. Imagine if Caslow was a RS-Jr, Cavenas RS-So? Be a great luxury to have….

The defense gets to see a top shelf offense everyday in practice. There’s size, depth and experience all in respectable numbers. I don’t see what the excuse could possibly be for the unit to be anything less than decent.

Anonymous

we are facing a lot of o- lines with 4 and 5 300 lb lineman. im telling you we are small up front.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=27531]we are facing a lot of o- lines with 4 and 5 300 lb lineman. im telling you we are small up front.

[/quote]
    Right on OL sizes that we will face but your conclusion is incorrect.
    Size has been an issue. We had a roster full of 6’4 250 DEs.Not a recipe for a solid 3 man DL. Size is not the issue this year. We need to find the proper mux of speed and size on DL. And for the whole D communication and execution.
    I suggest you scan the rosters for PL teams. You will find the sizes are comparable. DL needs to be fast and athletic as well as have adequate size.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

2016 Preseason Patriot League Preview: Lehigh

Clenz went with 8 starters on both sides. Not sure if that number is accurate…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well D starters kind of a mivable feadt. We had a bunch.
    I if you put Lambert at S and Barrett at Rov. 7 if Lambert is at Rover. Right now it looks like LL is at Rover.

toddcudd
    Participant

Nice article! Sounds like somebody who is familiar with LU and the PL, or did plenty of homework!

TMH
    Participant

Game On

Here is the Penn State roster.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/psu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Explain to me how we are so much smaller. Their DT go around 290…their DE are around 250. We don’t play at that level.

Anonymous

i did my homework and found that lehigh averaged 266lbs last year on the d line. That was the largest d-line in patriot league compared to holy cross at 254lbs. lafayette oline averaged 301 and ranked dead last in points scored with a high school team stat of 92 points scored in conference. lehigh was the highest scoring team in the conference. bucknell had the top defense only allowing 123 points in conference. i summarize that size does not matter even though most women would disagree…lol running a 3-3-5 somebody is hiding something. i coached football my entire life at lower levels and you learn how to manipulate inferior rosters with crazy d’s and o’s. all sports are sign up leagues. if i sign up better players than you i usually win. i just want lehigh to win!!!

lu90
    Participant

[quote quote=27538]Game On

Here is the Penn State roster.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/psu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Explain to me how we are so much smaller. Their DT go around 290…their DE are around 250. We don’t play at that level.

[/quote]

Absolutely correct. And some more reference, here are last years AA’s and this years preseason AA’s:

2015 FCS AA’s
    1st Team
    James Cowser, 6-4, 258
    Javon Hargrave, 6-2, 295
    Tyrone Holmes, 6-4, 245
    Victor Ochi, 6-2, 255
    Noah Spence, 6-3, 261

2nd Team
    Keionta Davis, 6-4, 260
    Dino Fanti, 6-1, 265
    P.J. Hall, 6-1, 270
    Karter Schult, 6-2, 265
    Chima Uzowihe, 6-2, 250

3rd team
    Mitchell Jeter, 6-0, 275
    Chris Landrum, 6-3, 260
    O.J. Mau, 6-2, 319
    Greg Menard, 6-2, 239
    Derek Rivers, 6-5, 255

2016 FCS Preseason AA’s
    DL – Keionta Davis 6’4 260
    DL – Derek Rivers 6’3 245
    DL – P.J. Hall 6’1 280
    DL – Karter Schult 6’2 265

Our DL’s – as TMH has pointed out

Mitchell 6-2 285#
    Cavenas 6=5 280#
    Gille 6=5 285#
    Lynn 6-4 285#
    Kauffman 6-2 260#
    Nace 6-2 265#
    Johnson 6-4 250#

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Size is relevant but it must come with athleticism. One of our better NGs wwas 260 but still a space eater. Very strong and quick.
    Look at last year. Main isdue no depth.
    Palma an very good DT quick strong and a fierce motor but he was a slasher not a run stopper. Mitchell.a prototypical NG when healthy. DL also lost Stubbs Morrow Lynn and Gille.Johnson a rusher extremely fast . with Caveness and Lynn healthy as well as Mitchell DL s/b able to compete. Optimistic to see what Nace and Kauffman can do inside and Morrow and Prendergast outside..

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

As Southside Johnny once said, “It ain’t the meat, it’s the motion.”

Size is much improved.

TMH
    Participant

Looking at the Penn State roster reinforces my position from last season. It looks like they use a 4 man front but their DT (interior linemen) go around 290 to clog up the running game in the middle. The DEs go around 250 so that they are mobile enough to cut down the run to the outside.
    Lehigh, on the other hand uses a 3 man front however our NG (interior lineman) has been around 260, no match for a 300 pound lineman and our 295# lineman played to the outside. It is no surprise to me that we gave up a lot of long runs both inside and outside including the lowly Leopards.
    I want one of those 285# in the middle.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Mitchell is back and healthy. Fills the bill. Who else? Caveness ran there early in practice. Would not be surprised to see Nace win the spot particularly on passing downs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.