Lehigh in Post-season?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Lehigh in Post-season?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hawktalker 11 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Probably deserves its own thread………

Listening to Coach Reed’s post game radio interview yesterday, it became apparent that Lehigh may play on into the post-season. Of course, an offer must first be tendered and accepted by the University, Coaches and Players. Therein, lies the rub. It’s not as automatic as one might expect. There are costs to absorb and frankly, as I see it, players’ willingness to press on. The team, shorthanded as it is, just absorbed its third defeat at the hands of its archrival Lafayette and may be ready – mentally – to call it a season. After all, there’s no shame in a 21-9 (10-4 PL) record.

Should Lafayette defeat Bucknell on Wednesday, the Leopards, of course, go on to the NCAAs while Bucknell would capture an auto invitee to the NIT. However, should Bucknell beat Lafayette, do the Leopards land a bid to play on? Better yet, do we get an invite to go anywhere? My guess is that we do. What do you think? Just when you thought the season was over!

Post-Season NIT
    http://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/nit#!championship_br_home
    32 Teams
    Recent Winners: Stanford in 2012, Wichita State in 2011

College Basketball Invitational (CBI)
    http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/index_main.htm
    16 Teams
    Recent Winners: Pitt in 2012, Oregon in 2011

Collegeinsider.com
    http://www.collegeinsider.com/CIT2013/
    32 Teams
    Recent Winners: Mercer in 2012, Santa Clara in 2011

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote:    “ Of course, an offer must first be tendered and accepted by the University, Coaches and Players. Therein, lies the rub. It’s not as automatic as one might expect. There are costs to absorb and frankly, as I see it, players’ willingness to press on. 

As far as costs go,  I checked back on AU’s experience last year.    They were required to put up a $30,000 guarantee against game revenue.   After drawing 256 fans, they lost the whole $30,000 since the small amount of ticket sales barely covered their own game expenses.   There were rumors that the PL absorbed some of that expense, but I never confirmed that – and the same rumors said the PL was thinking about eliminating whatever subsidy existed.    I have no idea if the CIT has raised the fee since last year.

TMH
    Participant

Let me preface what I’m about to say by stating that Lehigh spends an enormous amount of money (relatively speaking) and get very little revenue back, discounting alumni contributions.
    If I ask myself why they do it, perhaps it was for that one magic moment in March, 2012.
    With that being said, Lehigh was given an opportunity to host a football playoff game in 2011 vs Towson and turned it down due to the same guarantees Bison just alluded to it earlier. If there was a comfort level to attracting 12,000 people to that football game or 3,000 for this basketball game, perhaps Alic Gast may go for it. I see no reason to believe we would get that many people.
    IMHO only, I predict we may pass. NIT would have been another matter.

hawktalker
    Participant

In Coach Reed’s radio interview, when asked about post-season play, he referenced an
    “institutional decision.” That means a cost-benefit analysis. If Bison 137 is correct, $30,000 is
    a lot of money. Is it less if you go on the road? Then, depending on distance, it’s a bus trip,
    maybe hotel and meals.

If the players have a say, I wonder how they feel right now. Are they exhausted at the end of
    a long, ultimately disappointing season? In the last two weeks, these guys have played a lot
    of minutes as the rotation shrunk to basically eight players. After giving it all they had and
    losing to Lafayette again, is there anything left in the tank?

LUHoops00
    Participant

This might answer your question hawktalker – from Dead Eye Twitter Acct

2 hrsStefan CvrkaljStefan Cvrkalj@sCvrkalj21
    @GabeRoy42 Has there been a final decision yet? I feel like everyone was leaning toward not playing but I just wanted to make sure

hawktalker
    Participant

Not surprised

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.