Lehigh Preview

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Lehigh Preview

This topic contains 49 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Picked this up today, via College Sport Madness. They’ve got us as number 39 in FCS. Otherwise, I don’t see anything in the article that’s really “news” to us.

Lehigh Football Preview

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Basically a rehash of LU spring article. #39 looks nice but a tad optimistic. So many new moving pieces to mesh into a team much less a good team. Lots of talent,speed and size. But,lots of new and inexperienced players on 2 deep.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

39th seems reasonable. Like I said on AGS, there has to be some degree of expectations given the last 4 years and the “on paper” decisions by Coen. The JMU game will tell a lot. The Dukes enter 2014 with their own questions. If Lehigh can beat Yale there’s a chance for them to build a lot of positive mojo heading into the Fordham game. Colgate, Bucknell, Cornell, Monmouth, Holy Cross and Georgetown are all facing major questions.

FCS is rather ho-hum outside of the Top 15 or so teams. LU has all of the tangible assets to be a Top 40/25 team despite the turnover. The track record over the last 25 years is very good.

I think 7-4 and win over LC should be a fans goal. Imo, JMU, Yale, @ HC and Lafayette are the 4 most pivitol games…..

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

7-4 my pick as well.JMU,this eatly,dont expect a win. Perhaps close but winning would be surprising. Yale is the key game OOC. A must win, IMO, for a winning season.7 Ws and beating Pards ,a very good rebuilding year.

Miller
    Participant

New OC and transfer at RB mean 50/50 run pass. Early games are going to be a work in progress. The D will be better with only 1 DC. 8-3 with JMU,NH, and Fordham being the road blocks. We will surprise!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

There are some HUGE unknowns.

Collectively above, we think JMU,NH,Fordham,Yale, HC and Lafayette are key games. In other words, we think six teams will be very challenging. Agreed.

I’d add Bucknell, which destroyed us last year with a bunch of very talented, athletic, strong underclassmen. When they were healthy, they were tough last year.

Does Colgate ever roll over and give up?

I do not disagree with the potential for 7-4 or 8-3 or better. LU has a winning culture and tradition. But a few bad breaks and injuries and a 6-5 or 5-6 season could be in the cards.

Regardless, this season should feature some very exciting games!

TheCobbler
    Participant

Brutal schedule to start the season. JMU, UNH, Yale, will very likely be 0-3. Never know how a team reacts to that, especially a team that has never been in that type of situation before.

I’m going to lower my expectations this year and say 4-7. Lucky to win 8 games last year (Cent Conn, Princeton, UNH, Monmouth; lose any 2 of these and last year was a 6-5 season). Rather be happy with a 6-5 season than expect 7-4 and be disappointed with 6-5.

JMU – loss
    UNH – loss
    Yale – loss
    Monmouth – 50/50
    Bucknell – win
    Cornell – 50/50
    Fordham – loss
    Georgetown – win
    Holy Cross – 50/50
    Colgate – 50/50
    Lafayette – loss

Who is going to play QB?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Valid questions. Could this be a replay of Andy’s first years? Dont think so but not impossible. JMU and UNH will be tough,we are unlikely to win either but we can. To me Yale is key to winning season. No doubt we will be a work in progress. IMO, Andy a much better HC than he was his early years. Will Folmar live up to rep? Will D look less like an outmanned chinese fire drill?
    QB?
    McHale as a Sr would be the leader but dint think Folmar will feel any obligation there. He has to follow an excellent OC. Even more pressure to put a successful O on the field early. Opinion,it will be Nick.

TheCobbler
    Participant

A lot of ? to be answered on O, D and ST that’s for sure.

Expectation of winning 7 games is too high in my opinion. I think all parties (players & coaches) have done a tremendous job if this team wins 7 games with the schedule and all the changes.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I don’t believe the schedule is that difficult after the first 2 games.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

:) Actually agree. Winning season and beating Pards a god year IMO. Could we do better ,sure ,we could also do worse. Even with the staff turnover and few returning starters,particularly at QB, we have an excellent base of talent and tradition. Scary part for me D will have to carry us thru the start of the season until Folmar sorts out his O. New QB,RB,WRs. Botts an upgrade at DC experience at LB and 2ndary. DL has experience but not in a good way. Newton and then a mass of bodies. Botts needs to put a much more competitive DL on the field. Biggest issue for me on D.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not difficult.Perhaps ,once we have answers to all the IFs going into the season. I am confident Andy will do so buthow quickly will determine our year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

UNH in Durham is the only game where I don’t think LU has a shot. The Wildcats will be out for blood and they’re nearly unbeatable at home. Trading Princeton for Yale is a break. The Eli have talent but they’re still likely a middle of the pack Ivy League team imo. Cornell will likely be battling Columbia for the IL basement.

Monmouth could be a headache. But, they still don’t have the depth of talent Lehigh has. Even so this game does worry me a bit.

I think Lehigh has a reasonable shot to beat either Fordham or JMU. I actually think LU COULD match up well with Fordham if Yosha and the OL get things going….

Lehigh picked a good year for a transition. Every single team in the PLsans Fordham enters 2014 with questions and major coaching changes. Colgate lost their savior, Lafayette’s defense has a new DC after a brutal ’13, Gilmore might be coaching for his job , Bucknell needs retooling on “O” and the Hoya’s are in shambles…..

My odds for LU to win game…
    JMU 33%
    UNH 10%
    Yale 65%
    Monmouth 75%
    Bucknell 65%
    Cornell 85%
    Fordham 40%
    Georgetown 98%
    Holy Cross 55%
    Colgate 75%
    Lafayette 50%

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No wiz at picking odds but your %s look pretty accurate Even Fordham has their issues,but the rest ofus all have major questionmarks. For me how we answer ours is my only issue.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I agree Rich.

I just think there needs to be context involved. JMU was picked to finish 8th in the “not your fathers” CAA this afternoon at the league’s media day. Lehigh should believe it can beat the 8th best CAA team. Perhaps the Dukes turn out to be really good. Time will tell…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.