Lehigh Starters?????

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Lehigh Starters?????

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by jimk72 jimk72 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

IMO the biggest difference is with full ridesbto recruirs we could not touch with need aid. Partials may habe similar affect for some recruits. Not sure.

LehighGuy
    Participant

[quote quote=29349]Wish that was true LG. We win markedly more H2Hs now with Ivies but they still take a substantial majority. The major impact of schollies has been ve the academies and CAA. Overall we are about 50-50 on H2Hs with them. New area seems to be vs MAC and AAC.

[/quote]this post here solidifies what i said, 50/50 H2H with Ivies. we are winning more battles, especially against HYP. When before schollies could you even make that claim???? Im not just talking LU, im talking PL in general. ALOT of kids pick PL over Ivies, and academies. just look at offer list of kids that has picked PL, id say 70% or better had Ivy offers.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  LehighGuy.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

50/50 with CAA and academies. No where near that with Ivies but we are all winning more now with schollies. Biggest inroads are with CAA and then academies.

TMH
    Participant

LehighGuy,
    Do you think the bloated rosters in the Ivies have anything to do with that. These kids want a great education but they would like t o play too. I think Princeton had about 125 kids on their roster when I was there last year. Thats a lot of # duplication.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Well Rich we agree to disagree. If you look at just LU commits, I’d say half had ivy offers. Especially the most coveted. TMH, to me the ivys have alot of kids frankly nobody else wanted IMO. More than half of them won’t even see the field. It’s a reason the ivys will stop playing PL teams as much, the talent gap is widening and they know it. I look for them to schedule the pioneer teams more. LU smashed the Ivy champs the last 2 yrs. The ivys see the writing on the wall. Why pay for a great education when u can come to PL for free and get same thing, play FBS schools, and go to playoffs

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yes about half our class hadhIvy offers. That does not mean that we went 50/50 in H2Hs. More like 30/70 . So we got 3 out of 10 from Ivies and beat out HYP and Penn to boot. Preschollies we would get a few a year at best.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I haven’t analyzed LU or LC upsets. I remember few, too.

But I remember too many games where LU expected much less from LC, but got much more.

Like 2015 — what should have been a LU blowout (definition: putting in third team) turned into a 2-TD game, with the ‘Pards actually outgaining Lehigh, 487 yards (!!!) to 485.

Put it another way: Lehigh gave up 35 points to a LC team last year that averaged 11.5 the rest of the year, including TWO shutouts.

How about 2014? A weak 4-6 Pards team down to their third-string QB (if I remember correctly) utterly dominated LU. LU, averaging 28 ppg, was held to 7 points. LU won only three games but should have been competitive in the 150th.

It wasn’t.

How about 2013? Lehigh heads into last game 8-2 (despite upset by Bucknell) after winning by two TDs priot two weeks over HC and Colgate. Lafayette comes in 4-6 with a freshman QB (now a senior) who played his tail off. We lose 50-28.

In 2009 and 2010, the game was decided by a touchdown or less.

All signs point to a blowout by LU this weekend (as it did vs. Bucknell this year and in 2013). But the Pards have nothing to lose. This is their playoff game and season.

hawktalker
    Participant

SMQB you beat me to it. To me 2013 was an upset Lehigh loss. I hope this year’s seniors remember that game. AC couldn’t decide on the freshman Shaf or McHale at quarterback. In the end neither of them played well.
    I was going to say 05, the Jonathan Hurt touchdown in the closing minute. But looking back LU and LC were pretty evenly matched that season

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Personally I think the drastic cutbacks in full-contact drills are killing the Ivies, but in reality it ebbs and flows. Just last year we were saying that the Ivies had insurmountable advantages. But I think the easier drills make Ivy League teams vulnerable in the first few games while they harden into shape. To some degree I also think it contributed to the Monmouth loss, too. The Patriot League has cut back too, but Monmouth had no practice restrictions.

LehighGuy
    Participant

[quote quote=29372]Yes about half our class hadhIvy offers. That does not mean that we went 50/50 in H2Hs. More like 30/70 . So we got 3 out of 10 from Ivies and beat out HYP and Penn to boot. Preschollies we would get a few a year at best.

[/quote]so you agree then, PL schollies are having a drain on the Ivys. so if half of our class had Ivy offers, i would say thats 50/50…We all know coaches offer more scholarships than they have not knowing who will commit. We definately do better than 3 out of 10 H2H.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  LehighGuy.
    jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

With regard to Lehigh-Lafayette upsets I really can’t say how often they happen, but I can recall the one most memorable to me. In 1968 I was a freshman all stressed out, trying to make the grade academically at big old overwhelming Lehigh. Going to football games, properly fueled, was a great release.
    The games were never close and became more of a party atmosphere to see how bad they would be this week. The embattled coach was 4 and 32 overall going into the last game of his fourth year. The Pards (7-2) were heavy favorites to the Engineers (2-7). Biggest party of my college career may have been following the stunning 21- 6 Lehigh upset. Fred Dunlap went on to 7 more years of relative success, and there is no doubt that game saved his job.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.