Loyola – Game 12

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Loyola – Game 12

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes
    LU’s
    We await

Loyola’s
    We await

KenPom
    Lehigh (12-10, 6-5) ranked 196th*
    @
    Loyola (9-13, 5-6) ranked 305th
    Lehigh wins 66-64 (60% chance)
    • A jump of 12 spots

Commentary
    The Greyhounds are 3-2 at home this year with wins posted over AU, BU and HC. Their losses have come at the hands of Bucknell and Army. They return to Reitz Arena to face us on Saturday following a 20 point drubbing at the hands of AU in the nation’s capital. Here’s the story behind that loss:

http://www.loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020415aaa.html

Hopefully, we don’t take this team lightly, despite its present 304th ranking in Offensive Efficiency. We shouldn’t! Two reasons come to mind. One, they’ve already beaten us once this year – that coming 4 weeks ago at Stabler – and once last year – that one coming at Reitz Arena – the sight of tomorrow’s game. Secondly, their 3 home wins this year have all been of the “bounce back” variety, i.e., victories posted after suffering a loss in the prior game. You get the idea their coaches are quick to correct deficiencies from one game to the next.

In our early season loss to Loyola, it’s interesting to note we had more: 2nd chance points, points off turnovers, bench points, points in the paint and fast break points. So, go figure! Simple, we dug a deep hole – not the first time we’ve done that this year – from which we couldn’t recover. We hit on just 10 first half field goals and fell behind by 10 at the half, after being down by 16 earlier. While we out-shot and out-played Loyola in the 2nd half, time simply ran out. Of course, allowing 11 second half offensive rebounds to Loyola didn’t help either. So, I’m thinking – like KenPom – that this should be a tightly contested game with each team having payback on its mind. But, I’m hopeful of another solid win based on what is proving to be a winning formula : Play tight “D” and share the ball on “O,” as the numbers clearly show We presently sit atop the league in FG% Defense @ .403. And, in our 5 PL losses we averaged 11.8 assists per game while in our 6 PL wins we averaged 19.2 assists per game. Case Closed.

P.S. Two Greyhounds to keep your eyes on:

#2 Freshman Guard, 6’0” Andre Walker. Don’t foul him. He’s 41 out of 46 (.891) from the line in PL play

# 5 Junior Guard, 6’6” Eric Lester. He’s been on a tear lately, averaging 16.8 ppg over his last 4, hitting 52.8% of his shots. He was also Loyola’s high-minute man, with 34, against us back in January. He scored a team-high 17 points that night.

lehigh90
    Participant

This is a big game. Team on a nice run lately, and this is a game they need if they figure to factor into the PL race. Have to beat the weaker teams on the road and hold serve at home. So far, holding serve at home in 2nd half, but need a good start on the road, down in Baltimore. I like Lehigh in this spot, unfortunately, close. Nail biter win. I think KenPom is right on this one.

LU65
    Participant

Anxious to see how the two teams one game ahead of us do this weekend? Watch Colgate this afternoon and Bucknell tomorrow afternoon (see below). If things break just right, we could join them atop the league when all is said and done.

American Eagles (13-10, 6-5) at Colgate Raiders (10-14, 7-4)
    Cotterell Court; Hamilton, N.Y. – Saturday, 2 p.m.
    Coverage: Patriot League Network

Holy Cross Crusaders (9-12, 4-7) at Bucknell Bison (12-12, 7-4)
    Sojka Pavilion; Lewisburg, Pa. – Sunday, 2 p.m.
    TV: CBS Sports Network

TMH
    Participant

Lol..looks like you’re doubling down on your bets while you’re on a roll.

I may be the only one interested in this but KR moved up to #7 on the Lehigh list for assists in a season after Wednesday great performance. He need 5 in this game to pass Mike Androlewicz for 6th place with at least 7 more games to go.

toddcudd
    Participant

you are DEFINITELY not the only one interested – amazing season. Funny thing is, i think we’re already taking both TK and KR for granted. We know what we’re gonna get, they’re like clock-work of late. I hope that if they or their family looked in here they’d understand that. We’re now just focused on putting the pieces around those two!

TMH
    Participant

Just for something to talk about. We recently passed the half way point in PL play. There are a lot of games to play yet but if the season ended today, I see the following.

TK-1st Team PL
    KR-ROY and 2nd Team PL

POY is wide open. It could be TK but also Wilson, Trist and others. This should be fun to follow as the season progresses.
    As a reference point: Mike Muscala’s MVP sophomore year
    14.9 ppg/7.3 rpg/1.4 apg/2.0 bpg
    Tim Kempton
    14.8 ppg/8.8 rpg/1.1 apg/.25 bpg

Seems almost identical to me.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Nice game on the road. Kept in control all the way. Big win to build momentum down the stretch. Goldsboro was a beast tonight, early and late, when needed. Keep it going!

LUHoops00
    Participant

Really been fun watching team gel and come together. Big contributions from Many people. Chuku big first half on both ends. Goldy with points boards and huge block in final minute. Simelton off bench with a big seven points. Ross ho hum 10/5/4. Kempton 18/8. Playing such better defense in this stretch and leaning how to win. Fun to watch.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

I have always appreciated Corey Schaefer and he deserves minutes but I’d love to see more of Miles at the 2. He is beginning to look like a pure shooter.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

For 2 games in a row,I have not been a nervous wreck. Close but didn’t doubt tonight. One comment tho MS has to get more minutes. He is right now our best 2

van
    van
    Participant

need someone who can play the wing when AP sits, seems to be our weakest spot

toddcudd
    Participant

Totally agree jim. I’d like to see more Miles, too. I think he’s a threat from the perimeter, and on the drive. Honestly, the minutes I’d question the most tonight were BAs. He must be showing something to the coaches in practice, and it’s certainly good to give him some experience to build for next year. But I felt like he was reckless on O, and a liability on D tonight.
    Don’t want to dwell on any negatives though. Really nice little run we’ve got going here, and pulling it together at the right time of year.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Miles is so important cause he can backup kr at the one spout also play off ball with his shooting and athleticism. Ba struggling a bit here lately, but he will be okay.

We usually struggle when ap struggled so this was really nice win.

6 of 7!!!! Let’s go.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Awesome to see this team maturing and learning how to win. Confidence is so important, and it is great to see Miles and Jesse play with as much confidence as they are right now.

Becoming pretty impressed with the coaching job this season. Bringing a young team along, and helping JG blossom while also helping Jesse become productive again. Great to see the production coming from all over the roster during this run.

van
    van
    Participant

must give some credit to JC over the past few games, I was down on him for a while but he seems to have found his game, rotation of TK, JG and JC on the front line is really stout, really a nice effort from everyone but BA, hope he starts to find himself

coach really shortened the bench last nite, looks like JC, BA and MS will be the 3 off the bench down the stretch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.