Loyola – Game 12

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Loyola – Game 12

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

It a great day to be a fan of LU Hoops. Six t go and pumped over the thought of seeing both Bucknell and Lafayette come to Stabler in the coming weeks.

Enjoyed everyone’s comments above but thought I’d add……….

I like Miles as much as the other guy, believe me, but I think his minutes in relationship to Corey’s are just about right, i.e., 14/game to 25/game. There’s no getting away from it, MS was certainly on fire the last two games going 9 of 13. But, that simply brings is PL totals up to 14 for 34. Two good nights makes you forget going “o-fer” on 6 different occasions this year in League play. As we go down the stretch, I’m fully expecting Reed to maintain the CS/MS balance yielding, if in any direction, to Corey – the guy with experience in crunch time and in terms of games played (115 to 53). While CS has had his off shooting nights, he does connect on a higher percentage of his shots from both in close and from beyond the arc ( CS: . 438/.381 to MS: .387/.368). Corey can also be used in a pinch at the “point” where his A/TO ratio matches or betters that of Miles. When comparing guard play you seldom look at this stat but it deserves a view when comparing these two fine players. That is, rebounding. Here Corey wins out with a board every 7.6 minutes to Miles’ one every 14.6 minutes. And, perhaps most importantly, it’s CS’ lock-down defense that swings the scale in his favor. Just ask Loyola’s Hubbard (1 for 4 in 29 minutes) or Boston U’s Papale (1 for 7 in 29 minutes). You can argue that with CS assigned to one of the opponent’s guards, it’s like having a 5 on 4 man advantage. Well OK, maybe a 5 on 4.5 advantage. You get the idea.

On to American!

toddcudd
    Participant

Really good point, 65. CS also completely neutralized Joey P. in the Lafayette game. We can’t overlook his D.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Agree SBum the staff deserves lot of credit on many fronts, including getting the Defense message thru to tbis young team. Also figuring out a rotation and some consistency with substitution patterns have been good to see. Goldy to starting lineup was a big move and it worked not only for goldy but now Chuku is playing well finally off the bench.

Ross makes a world of difference. I remember how many times over the past few years where we always questioned MM decisions with the ball but Ross has such a good feel for the game and the moment, and rarely makes wrong decision. Magician with his passing and gets to tin when he wants to. A full offseason of jumpers and he is going to be an absolute terror next year. Fun to watch, team has a shot to get it done this year.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

To me the key is that Miles has become such a huge sparkplug off the bench. I see him as someone they can plug in when AP, Ross, or Schaefer needs a breather. I did find it funny that he gave the team an important lift after the power went out in the Valley.

What’s making the difference now isn’t the guys we know are really great young players, TK and Ross, it’s the supporting cast. Chuku and Simelton getting things together, Goldy’s game inching up to Zahir Carrington territory (man, that block yesterday was a huge one), and Schaefer providing so much more than just getting hot from 3. All these little things are really adding up.

It won’t be an easy five final games, especially the game against Colgate in the Hamilton Mausoleum. But we get home games vs. American, Bucknell and Lafayette. If we somehow get all three that will be a great advantage going into the tournament.

van
    van
    Participant

just to speculate a little; with all the parity in the league this year we could earn a #2 seed just by going 4-2 in the last 6, quite a jump from where we thought we would be at the beginning of the season

van
    van
    Participant

just to speculate a little; with all the parity in the league this year we could earn a #2 or #3 seed just by going 4-2 in the last 6, quite a jump from where we thought we would be at the beginning of the season

LUHoops00
    Participant

FYI kempton and Muscala league stats for their soph years also almost identical.

toddcudd
    Participant

BU beats the pards. I’ll take it…

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

FYI kempton and Muscala league stats for their soph years also almost identical.

Scoring and rebounding wise, yes – but let’s not forget Muscala also led the league in blocks as a soph and was among the league leaders in FG% and FT%. He was as good defensively as he was offensively.

Not a knock on Tim in the least. It’s awesome that we can even have the conversation comparing his first two years in the league to that of an NBA player.

TMH
    Participant

Little known fact. Tim Kempton has blocked 2 more shots than Kahron Ross and one less than Austin Price.
    Just saying.

TMH
    Participant

Another little know fact.
    Over the last 10 games, Tim is 65 out of 116 or 56%. This compares to 43.5% prior to the 1st Army game. I believe Muscala shot 51.7% during his sophomore year.
    Not saying TK is better but at this point in the season certainly comparable offensively.
    Again just saying.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.