LU-UNH recap

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football LU-UNH recap

This topic contains 49 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TheCobbler 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

23-0 so far. So far LU has been manhandled.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

All of the issues that were exposed last week were exposed again this week. The secondary continues to struggle to cover receivers and tackle. The D-line is unable to put any pressure on the opposing QB or stuff the run. That is a deadly combination.

This porous defense will place inordinate pressure on this offense all season long. They just can’t get off the field as evidenced by the two 95+ yard drives last week and the insane UNH offensive stats this week. Despite what the shoe maker believes, this problem was seriously exposed in the Lafayette game last year and has now continued through the first two games this season. At this point, I don’t know if it is talent, scheme, or coaching. My fear is that it is all of the above. If it is talent, perhaps some of the freshmen and sophomore schollie players should be worked in ASAP. Currently, they are using a rope-a-dope tactic and taking far to many blows.

While a win was not expected, it would have been much more promising to see the game be more competitive. Some credit to the offense to keep battling. The defense did not compete at all – period. There is no way to spin it otherwise. It will be good to get back to playing a team with similar talent next week.

I look forward to peach pie’s positive spin on today’s debacle and look even more forward to my forthcoming F. By the way, I stipulate that the place kicker did not impact the outcome of today’s game.

TMH
    Participant

Hawkineer,
    Someone using your name recently posted
    “However, I won’t stoop to your level with the name calling”

Perhaps you can follow that example. It makes the board more tolerable.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

I’m a bit confused. Where’s the name calling? Shoe maker=cobbler, Peach Pie = cobbler.

By the way, if you read all of my posts, I have not ever personally attacked another poster because they posted their opinion. It is a message board and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless you offend or disagree with the shoe maker.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

The bad
    Porous D another 600+ yds given up.UNH very good but we were tissue paper.
    WRs no go to guy. Parris is not the guy. Pelletier may be.Way too many drops of Shaf passes. At least 5.
    THe good
    Yosha,Leigh,Pelletier Shafniskey. More optimistic that O will improve.
    STs best part of the day.Devine is great.Leaks so dangerous. Parris is a very good PR.
    All in all a sobering day

LehighGuy
    Participant

If you think Lehigh are playing the best players you are a fool. The offensive wrs and dB’s need MAJOR help. Like I said earlier, the D is Horrible, play the sophs and freshman…..they cant do any worse

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LG’
    Not much disagreement but unnecessary to go into attack mode. Please just state your opinion without attacking others.
    We are all LU fans.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Lots of good comments here so far.

I’ll gloat about what I thought was an optimistic projection the other day on this board: 41-28 UNH (45-27) and at least 200 rushing yards by UNH (224). Not too far off. It could have been far worse had LU not shown some serious pride in the fourth Q.

Some thoughts:

Parris and Knott (hope he’s not hurt badly, but it did not look good) need to spray stick’m on their hands/gloves (yeah, I know it was raining, but it was raining for UNH guys, too). I counted six drops/fumbles today from our WRs. That has never been part of or condoned in an Air Lehigh offense.

Good news: Pelletier had a breakout day. Big (6-3), good hands, amazing second TD catch. He looks like the real deal. Remember his speed to down a punt last week on special teams? He ought to be starting. Could he earn the nickname Spadolis?

D.J. Bourgeois was a hulk of a kid as a freshman, a good-sized linebacker, and his HS videos looked great. Anyone know where he’s been? He showed up today on the D line, with an athletic strip and fumble recovery. Another positive.

Devine’s punts — and how the ball reacts when it lands — are divine.

Leaks’ INT reminded me of real football: taking a chance once in a while to make things happen, as opposed to playing it safe and giving up 400 yards in the air. Unless the D starts playing a little more aggressively — UNH handled our DL and LB very well (as a few more teams are likely to do) — there are going to be a few more 400-yard passing weeks this year and lots of high scores.

Good news is this was an OOC blowout, so all the little mistakes — the ones that would be huge in a close game (Pandy kicking out of bounds, butchered PAT snap/hold) did not matter. Also, a few guys got to see action that would not have otherwise: Leigh was extremely impressive at RB. (And Yosha looked great, too.)

On the QB side, Shaf’s a gamer, but I’ve seen no evidence he can throw middle to deep — and that’s a problem when you have 3rd and 20, unless you have some receivers who can make things happen.

On the bad side, the missed tackles are unfortunate. That’s got to be a coaching or personnel point. We’ve already talked about the rest of the D.

LU played a top 10 team and saw, even with two years of schollies, now knows what it has to do to be competitive with a Top 20 team. We’re nowhere close in this second week of the season.

Anyone still betting on a winning record, PL title? If I hadn’t see the second half, I’d have figured Georgetown would be a tough game. Second half gave me some hope.

I’m still optimistic about a winning record and PL title, but … I wouldn’t bet on it yet, though … Time will tell.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

From the Lehigh press release — some scary stuff:

“Lehigh is 0-2 for the first time since 2009, when the Mountain Hawks started 0-5 … the 29 first half points allowed were the most allowed in a first half since 2000 when Lehigh gave up 31 to Delaware in a second round playoff game.”

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Bourgeois was heavily recruited n HS by Rutgers until he wrecked his knee. Last yr he played STs and a bit on DL as a pass rusher. Very active kid. Stubbs on the other side showed a lot of push. Guyles outmatched again. Regardless of a few positives DL totally outmanned.
    Campbell probably hurt. Kondas IMO better for us inside and Ripanti outside. Wilmington cannot seem to finish tackles. Leaks and Rigaud had good plays but so many misses .
    Is Harvey at FB now ?
    Leigh and Yosha impressd. Pelletier has to play. Fast and he can hold onto the ball. OL good on runs ,mot as good on pass but part of that may be UNH pressure. Nick hit hard too often.
    Why has Folmar basically ignored TEs and backs as receivers? New but so far not Cecchini.

TMH
    Participant

Since it helps me to sleep better at night, I’m focusing on one stat line for this season.

Austin Devine has punted the ball 12 times this season. 4 were over 50 yards. 7 were inside the 20 with several of them inside the 5. He is averaging 44 ypp despite the fact that about half were of the pooch variety. It will be fun watching his progress over the next 2 years.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good idea “).A tad disengenuous, but after going down 29-0 ,we won the 2nd half 27-19.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Wow Rich, we won the 2nd half because they were up 29-0. in UNH kinda coasted after that. Not calling people names but stating the obvious. You guys can keep saying the upperclassmen are better if u want. If that’s the case Lehigh did a horrible job of recruiting. Get those guys out of there. To many dropped passes and over 600 yds given up again. #3 had his chance, so did 21(who I think is dangerous but can’t catch). Time for the younger kids….what’s it gonna hurt?

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

TMH:

GOOD CATCH! Second best one of the day (after Pelletier’s second TD)

Larry

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Geez,LG I was being facetious. I know why we won 2nd half. You seem to think you’re the only true LU fan. I’ve been one longer than you’ve been alive and seen better teams and much worse. Get a grip kid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.