LU-UNH recap

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football LU-UNH recap

This topic contains 49 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TheCobbler 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

LehighGuy,
    I’m trying to decide if 1.) Coen has a hyperbolic affinity to his older players as you may possibly be contending or 2.) the younger players at this point in time are possibly not as good as the ones we are putting on the field.
    Looking at the starting lineup, 5 of our 11 starters on offense are sophomores or scholarship players. 3 of our starting 11 are scholarship players. Our PK and KO returner are both sophomores. Based on what I saw today, Pelletier and possibly Leigh may find more PT as the season progresses. Pelletier reminded me of Spadola. As others progress, they too will find more PT. Based solely on the #s, Coen does not seem to have an aversion to playing underclassmen. Just my opinion.

LehighGuy
    Participant

TMH….if the younger players are not better than what we’ve seen thus far, Lehigh is in trouble! Rich I know you’re a long time fan, I can dig it ( is that old school enough :) ) so you know its time for a change on D…..tell Corn ;)

LehighGuy
    Participant

I mean Coen

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

On D, obvious that what we are doing is either poorly coached and executed or the players on the field are not capable of executing that scheme effectively. Not sure which it is but agree changes do have to be made. Noiticed that Botts played Kondas inside and moved Ripanti outside. Robb, Caslow,Kondas and Ripanti were more effective. D line outmanned. UNH negated Newton,no other threats on lie. Stubbs finally got some solid PT. Stating the obvious we give up too many huge plays and they are the same ones we gave up last week. Giving up over 600 yds again leaves little room for positives. The solid plays and there were a lot of them were wiped out by the WTF happened that time play. We hold,stop ,big play TD. Yale not as good as either 1st two but not a cupcake.
    By the way to get the proper anachronisms think about 5 or6 yrs before the times depicted in Animal House.
    o

Miller
    Participant

Great talent that doesn’t understand the playbook usually will not see the field over good talent that does understand the plays. I think that is some of the Ds issues because I see many of the players reacting slow or quite frankly letting the offense totally dictate what they do. I kept hearing about this small but attacking D in preseason led by our new coordinater, and expected more. I think things will get better as we leave the CAA behind and move forward. Yale is next, and really has become a must game to get this season back on track..A few seats left on the bus.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Lehigh needs to find the right guys on defense fast. To some degree I can forgive some of the defensive issues as being adjustment to a new system, etc. but the way these guys played up in UNH they don’t look like a team that can stop anybody.

If you’re out of position against UNH and JMU, they will kill you. To some degree that’s what we’ve seen.

One thing that nobody is talking about that drove me bananas was UNH’s missed FG, which Vailas ran the bobbled snap for the first down and goal that resulted in the first TD. It was like a five yard scramble. How do you not manage to tackle him before he gets to the sticks? That was a seven point swing and a huge momentum boost for UNH from which Lehigh couldn’t recover.

Lehigh may have two very difficult games in the rear view mirror, but now the games against Yale and Monmouth are IMO must-wins before league play. Giving up 400+ yards to Yale would mean a very long Lehigh season.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Very true. Problem is there are so many issues to point out about our D some just slide out of the Top 10 list of D problems. Very few positives and those are all individual. Leaks,Caslow,Kondas,Rigaud,Robb. I can think of no unit positives.

Miller
    Participant

In hindsight (I once said this to many) I wish Isaiah had been moved to SS in off season, especially if they were moving Robb to OLB. Two points then I’ll move on to next week,
    1- We have ZERO sacks in two games. Miss those Kotulski days.
    2-our 3rd down conversions. Ok vs JMU, but horrible against UNH.
    this weeks game notes will be interesting with a few injuries that occurred.

TMH
    Participant

I was just thinking back to the Hank Small days when our offense was explosive and our defense under a DC named Kevin Higgins was continually the worst in the league. It came out afterward that Small was an offensive minded coach and so many of the best athletes who played on both sides of the ball in HS were moved to that side.
    Both Kauffman and Crawford who were outstanding linebackers in HS are at fullback. All the real beef on the line is on the offense. Andy had always been an OC before becoming our HC. Just saying.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yup,time to mive on. Some last notes. Travel squad,Bourgeois Pelletier, Cavenas, Githens,Leigh,Cohen,Howard,Harvey were ones I saw. Cavenas moving up a good sign for me. Expect we’ll see a different 2 deep at Yale given injuries and results so far.
    Anyone want to guess the o/u for passes by both tems next week. I’m thinking 30. :)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by RichH RichH.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Appears Harvey also moved to FB. Crawford injured?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Felt bad for Nick hanging in and taking licks only to see his wideouts drop a BUNCH of balls (6? 7?); including the pick that hit his guy in the chest (there was probably interference on the play, but he still should have caught it). Pelletier looked very intriguing though.

TMH
    Participant

I’m not up to date on the injury front. Who are we aware of?

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Knott (WR) and Duffy (RT) left with what looked like knee injuries. Not sure what else was out there; I watched on TV. Was Bourgeois in for Newton late, or were they both in under a different scheme?

chipwho
    Participant

TMH, just pulled in to town on the bus, had a few parents on board, injuries, #2 Brandon was bruised up in the 4th qt, #13 Wilmington, could be season ending, same for #40 Laub (shoulder), Duffy will wait & see while #21 Knott, MRI on Monday according to the parents. Recap, UNH, speed & revenge from 2013.
    Go back to my early camp prediction, #85, Pelletier is the real thing, Velcro hands & an athlete…. will enjoy watching him grow old at LU. Also, Leigh, may have trouble keeping him out of the lineup.
    Nick #9, QB, was running for his life all afternoon & performed as well as he could. Plenty of drop passes from key players.
    0-2 for the season, but, they will be ready for the PL.
    5 seats left on our 2nd bus up to YALE….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.