LU vs UNH

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football LU vs UNH

This topic contains 60 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

I’m not clear on “redshirting does not alter cost of schollies.” Does that mean a RS freshman doesn’t actually receive a schollie, or that it just doesn’t “count” toward the max? Or does their schollie in the 5th year take one away from incoming class? Sorry in advance if I’m being thick-skulled. I do that.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A redshirt frosh is on scholarship.Transition to ZNCAA rule would mean that squad would get fewer players who could take the field. Rshirts can practice. 1st yr or 2 tough adjustment to less depth. Benefit comes the next year when team gets an influx of olfer more experienced.redshirt frish.
    Greyshirts are not on schollie.

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks Rich! I think I get it now.

richb-1
    Participant

Lafayette’s Title 9 problem should be easy to resolve. Do what Lehigh and Bucknell did. Change the status of Women’s Crew from Club to Varsity. Possibly give Womens Rowing a few merit scholarships. Leave Men’s Crew as Club (or Club Varsity as we do) But other than the scholarships, treat the men’s and women’s team the same. Men’s Collegiate Crew predates the NCAA by like 70 years, so it is not an NCAA sport.

The Patriot League needs to go to max scholarships and max bodies. I also understood from an interview with Coen, that the PL somewhat limits the number of guys who can dress for a game (explaining why CC was still in in the mid 4th quarter of Laf).

Of course, we need Georgetown to take the sport more seriously.

AI needs to stay the same. Will Laf, Buck, Col, HC allow redshirting? Maybe not wholesale (say 20 guys a year) redshirting, but maybe 3-4 guys a year.

I think we may have dressed freshmen for football as early as 1973. I remember a guy we recruited for wrestling who walked on to the football team and played a few games freshman and sophomore years missing the second half of those seasons (and the entire wrestling season) with a knee. Finally 75-76 wrestled but never recovered. Glenn Willard.

AND WE NEED LIGHTS.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Pard problem was prior to schollies a school could budget the funds for women’s but didn’T have to actually spend it. With schollies the test for compluance is sctual aid provided. Pards never actually had the $$ they budgeted. Schollies for women to match football still an ongoing issue. It has limited their foitball aid to date.

van
    van
    Participant

# of sports supported as a % of enrollment at Lafayette has to be an issue

no idea how Colgate manages with ice hockey on top of every thing else

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by van van.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yup still is. Way behind in TITle IX compliance. Other than Field hockey and WBB no female sport is anywhere close to adequarely funded. The Equestrian team.doing quite well tho. A complete debacle in AD. No teams with winning record last year.

richb-1
    Participant

Pards have mostly same sports as us, except they have a sort of coed fencing team instead of wrestling (I think their fencing team is usually like 12-M 4-F.) and of course rowing just club. So adding 30-40 female rowers should give them an adequate participation ratio. But scholarships, they need to figure that out without my help.

richb-1
    Participant

Colgate has women’s Ice Hockey also, and softball but no baseball (men’s golf but no womens)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

They have ample participation with track and swimming where they give no schollies at all. Dont know it its just lack of $. Aor the total lack of Admin sprts. Admin there serms solely concerned with grad rate as opposed to any teams winning games. If you dont care if teams win why spend $ on aid.

richb-1
    Participant

About 20 years ago, USA today listed the percentage of students who were involved in varsity sports. Lafayette led the nation, with 30%. I wonder were they stand today.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

The # quored on Pard bosrd is 25%

TMH
    Participant

I think that this may be a significant part of the reason that Lafayette announce in July that they will be increasing enrollment from 2,500-2,900 over the next 6-8 years.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/easton/mc-lafayette-college-expansion-20160722-story.html

van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=29766]The # quored on Pard bosrd is 25%

[/quote]Gate at about the same %, but with much better results, wonder how they do it, their endowment that much bigger?

TMH
    Participant

Lafayette 2,500 students $777M endowment
    Colgate 2,900 students $833M
    Holy Cross 2,900 students $721M
    Bucknell 3,600 students $790M

by contrast

Lehigh 5,000 students $1.2B

These represent the core members of the Patriot League

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.