Marist Game

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Lehigh version…….
    http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbba … se_id=8499

Marist version………
    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mar … 122209.pdf

LU65
    Participant

Villanova Transfer Drummond won’t be playing tonight

From the Poughkeepsie Journal
    Monday, December 21, 2009

Some thoughts from Martin heading into Lehigh game………………..
    With the news of Casiem Drummond’s ineligibility, some of the stuff I was planning on using in my story for tomorrrow’s Journal didn’t make it in. Here’s some other comments from Marist coach Chuck Martin.

On what to do to defeat Lehigh.

• “We’ve got to do a lot of things. We’ve got to defend. Right now, we’re not defending nearly as well as we did last year at this point. We’ve got to keep the ball out of the paint. We’ve got to make some shots. We had some decent shots last night. We just couldn’t knock them down. 5 of the 8 games we’ve played, we had really good looks, we just haven’t made them.”

On potentially changing the starting lineup or the rotation during the season

• "We will. As the year goes on, we will. You’re trying to figure out who can do it and who can’t do it. They’re all going to hit a wall. because They’re freshmen. The difference for us is half our team are freshmen. They probably will hit the wall all at once. That’s when the rotation changes again. We’re certainly going to change the lineup, I imagine, during the year.”

On freshman point guard Devin Price starting against Binghamton and then again on Tuesday against Lehigh.

• "He was OK. He still has a ways to go. There’s moments where you can see his ability. He gets by you, gets to the rim, makes a layup. Splits the defense, finds an open guy, raises up hits a 3.
    He has moments where you’re like ‘OK, you get excited about him.’ He’s got a ways to go in terms of running a team, running the program, commanding the team, and the execution of our offense."

Martin said now that Dejuan Goodwin is back at shooting guard, teams will be less likely to press them defensively. Here’s what Goodwin had to say about returning to his natural position.

"It’s nice," Goodwin said. "I’ve got to get back into the flow of it. I’ve been playing point guard all season. All my preseason workouts and preseason mindset was being at the point guard position. It shouldn’t be that hard for me. I’ll get a few games under my belt. The transition should be easy.
    Posted by Phil Strum at 9:10 PM 0 comments
    Marist’s Drummond declared ineligible

Casiem Drummond, a 6-foot-10 center on the Marist College men’s basketball team, was declared ineligible to play in the Spring 2010 semester by college officials after he did not meet the NCAA’s academic requirements.

Drummond, a transfer student from Villanova University, sat out a year in residency at Marist. He transferred to Marist last winter after two seasons with the Hoyas.

Drummond averaged 4.9 points per game and 4.5 rebounds per game in 13.2 minutes per game with Villanova last season. He played four games in the Fall 2008 semester for Villanova.

“It’s disappointing because we’ve waited so long and invested so much into him,” Marist coach Chuck Martin said. “To not get an opportunity to have him play with us: It’s disappointing.”

Martin said he and Drummond spoke after his eligibility was determined.

“He was a little disappointed,” Martin said. “But it is what it is. We’ve got to move on at this point.”

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Forgive me, but after hearing that Marist was going to suit up an academically ineligible player against us, I’m beginning to regret stumping so hard for them to join the PL.

LU65
    Participant

Playing at home and looking to exorcise the memories of an 11 point loss two nights ago to St. Joe’s, this is a game we should have. Even Sagarin thinks so – his numbers suggest a line of LU-15. After all, Marist comes in 0-8 and ranked 343 in the nation. They come without their "hope" in tow, Villanova transfer Drummond (See previous post). The Red Fox come up short to Lehigh in direct comparisons of Pts. Scored (56.9 to 69.0), Rebounds (32.9 to 35.5), FG% (.377 to .406) and FTs (.554 to .752). Like Lehigh, however, they rely heavily on their freshmen (starting three) and their bench which kicks in 25 ppg. They’re young and inexperienced team (returning only 4 scholarship players from last year) who -I’m sure – if taken lightly could surprise us as they did to Rider earlier in the year losing a hard fought 51-55 decision.

Things to watch would include:

CJ – can he regain his shooting touch (.184 FG% in the last 5 games averaging 7.6 ppg)? During the first five games of the year, arguably up against stiffer competition, he averaged 16.4 ppg and hit for a much, much higher FG%.

Marquis Hall – can he stop the yo-yo play where he’s on one night and off the next? Looking backwards at his point production you have: 2, 17, 6, 19, 6, 2, 11, 9, 12, and 14. I guess we’re in for an "on" night tonight.

Zahir – 6 for 20 in his first two games back and a bit more reckless than usual with the ball. Seemed hesitant in making his moves under the basket. Hope to see a quicker attack to the rim and far less ball handling.

Rob Keefer – the return (hopefully) to form. His last four outings: 2, 2, 11, and 2 points. This isn’t the bench help we once envisioned. Minutes sure to suffer and be awarded to Ojo who’s been on a tear with 26 over the last two games.

John Adams – Last played against Dayton (16 minutes) on 12/5. Had been a productive. What’s up?

Justin Mineri – Ditto the John Adams comments -nearly. He did see 12 unproductive minutes against SJU, no time against Dartmouth and 17 lackluster minutes against Dayton. Has the freshmen duo of Knutson and Greiner spelled the end of big minutes for this talented sophomore?

Tempo – It’s apparent that Reed likes to run this bunch and I would think tonight would be no exception trying to deliver a quick knock-out punch on a team that is quick to fall behind in games.

Zone Defense – it proved to be an effective weapon during key segments of the SJU game. Would love to see it perfected even further tonight.

LU65
    Participant

Pretty much as expected……….the team jumped out to an early 10 point lead (18-8 at the 13:23 mark), raised it to 21 at some point in the second half and settled for an 11 point win over an undersized, youthful and now winless (0-10) team. There was much to like about the way the team played on the eve of a Christmas break. It was good to see the team get after it on defense, holding Marist to 35.7% from the field and 33.3% from long-range, blocking 4 shots and executing 7 steals (7 different defenders!). It should be noted that over the past three games, the 3 pt. FG Defense numbers are rounding into shape and have averaged .301. Now if only we can keep it up! Fyi, Army’s season long 3pt. FG Defense number is .303. Lehigh’s 2-3 and, what appeared at times to resemble a 1-2-2 zone, was extremely effective against the Red Foxes. Everyone got into the act at both ends of the court. On offense, the starting five each scored and as a group racked up 4 assists in the first 6+ minutes of play. Of defense, the pressure was there from the start. After 6 straight misses, the Marist coach got the hook out and inserted four new faces into the lineup before his team finally recorded its first point at the 16:47 mark. Those first few moments set the tone of play for the entire game. A win was never in doubt. It seemed like old times with Carrington’s Double-Double (12pts.-13 boards), and Hall’s 16 pts. Also on display was the well-executed hi-lo play of Knutson and Carrington. Its’ nice to have a freshman so skilled to compliment the play of Zahir i his final year. Another good night for Ojo coming off the bench to score 7 on the heels of 12 and 14 in his prior two games. In each, he’s averaged 20+ minutes of playing time. There are, however, some concerns on offense. Number one has to be the play of Rob Keefer who has failed to impress in the last week or two (third straight two-point game after dropping 11 against Dayton). His minutes have been cut to 10-12 from what had been 14-16 earlier in the year. Of equal concern in the guard ranks has to be the way CJ has fallen off the pedestal. After hitting his first two shots against Marist, he missed the next 9 recording back to back 2 for 11 games. Prior to that it was 2 for7, 3 for 11, 1 for 12, and 1 for 8. You might look for Buchberger to have his number called more often until CJ finds his groove. He certainly deserves the shot, going 2 for 2, 5 for 6, 3 for 6, and 3 for 4 in his last four outings with many of the 3 pt. variety. He’s making a home for himself just behind the arc in either corner of the court. As we approach the start of PL play, your beginning to see the bench points come down (13 and 19 the last two nights) as the starters begin to record more and more time and click as a unit. Those who have and will continue to see less and less time apparently are: Peters, Shamis, Hamilton, and Safstrom in that order. It’s shaping up as: Greiner and Mineri in for Knutson and Carrington; Small in for Hall; with Ojo, Buchberger, and CJ sharing time at the 2 and 3; with Keefer and Adams in ready reserve.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

"lfnadmin" wrote: Forgive me, but after hearing that Marist was going to suit up an academically ineligible player against us, I’m beginning to regret stumping so hard for them to join the PL.

Where did you see anything about them planning to suit up an academically ineligible player? I haven’t seen anything like that.

Drummond, as a transfer from Villanova, was going to be eligible once Marist’s first semester ended – assuming he got a satisfactory GPA. The semester ended, his final grades were bad, and Marist told him he couldn’t play. I’m not sure how that reflects badly on Marist.

norcalfan
    Participant

Patriot League will decide who plays. The freshman are doing well. Good to see this after not much from the bench last year. PL play is a lot tougher. Let’s hope the team can continue to gel and Reed makes good decisions. After all, they are picked to finish 2nd in the league.

LU you seem to be knowledgeable about this team. What happens if they don’t finish 2nd? It would be nice for the Seniors if they can pull it off.

norcalfan
    Participant

Bison 137,

Was the player suited up or no?. Maybe some believed he was going to play because he was on the bench or suited up.

Bucknell looks better than last year. What is your prediction for the year?

LU65
    Participant

Glad to see you on the Board, norcalfan. Here’s the story on Drummond. Simply put, the Villanova transfer was ruled "academically ineligible" prior to the start of the game.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/arti … /912220323

Not quite sure on how to respond to your question on "what happens if they don’t finish second?" I would only say that this senior group of players – all co-captains for different reasons – would be disappointed with any result other than a first place finish. I do expect a hotly contested leagued this year and wouldn’t be surprised if anyone of six different teams go on to claim the top spot. If the team that ends up on top doesn’t go on to win the PL Playoff Championship, it would be receive an invite to the NIT. If you define such a result as a "2nd Place Finish" then maybe all would not be loss. For more information on the NIT, see below.

http://www.nit.org/about-nit/selection-procedures.html

norcalfan
    Participant

Thanks LU 65. I look forward to the season. It would be nice for the Seniors if they could at least get to NIT.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

"norcalfan" wrote: Bison 137,

Was the player suited up or no?. Maybe some believed he was going to play because he was on the bench or suited up.

Bucknell looks better than last year. What is your prediction for the year?

No, Drummond was not suited up. Marist got his first semester grades earlier in the day and he was ruled academically ineligible.

As for Bucknell, who knows. Talent is much higher this year but coaching is a big question mark. Freshman class is very good. If Flannery were coaching the same players, I think they’d win the league.

norcalfan
    Participant

Hi Bison 137,

Having some trouble with my log in at Bucknell, so I am typing here for now.

Looks like Lehigh has a nice group of freshman, McCollum is up and down, but as you said, it depends on the coaching for them too. How is Enoch doing these days?

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

"Bison137" wrote: [quote="lfnadmin"]Forgive me, but after hearing that Marist was going to suit up an academically ineligible player against us, I’m beginning to regret stumping so hard for them to join the PL.

Where did you see anything about them planning to suit up an academically ineligible player? I haven’t seen anything like that.

Drummond, as a transfer from Villanova, was going to be eligible once Marist’s first semester ended – assuming he got a satisfactory GPA. The semester ended, his final grades were bad, and Marist told him he couldn’t play. I’m not sure how that reflects badly on Marist.[/quote]

He didn’t just miss grades – he didn’t even meet the NCAA’s minimum requirements. "Casiem Drummond, a 6-foot-10 center on the Marist College men’s basketball team, was declared ineligible to play in the Spring 2010 semester by college officials after he did not meet the NCAA’s academic requirements."

This looks like a type of kid that wouldn’t sniff a PL campus. Sure, it might simply mean that Marist’s compliance department is working properly, but something doesn’t smell right when your taking in someone with such borderline academics to begin with. IMO.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.