Mayes

This topic contains 68 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

I’m disagreeing with you a bit Rich. From what I can tell, both Lum and BB were very accurate passers but both lacked NFL arm strength. Keep in mind arm strength is not really how far you can throw the ball but how quickly the ball gets to the receiver esp on the out pass. Scouts actually really liked Colvin for that reason.
    From my perspective Brad did not look 6-2 when we met. I actually expected someone taller but what do I know. I do think however that he will have a wonderful career ahead of him here. We just need to keep our expectation in check. :-)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

True neither had great arms,Chris stronger than BB. BB quick release very accurate,excellent touch. Chris a long release,best medium length.
    Tidbits ,I picked up.

footballlady
    Participant

All more good points and observations. Quick reads and accuracy can make up for not having a rocket arm. Kurt Warner, Payton Manning, etc all very average arms but know where to go with the ball very quickly and read thru progressions. As I mentioned, BB’s arm was rated as good by NFL scouts, enhanced by his quick release. Chris’s arm was better but as pointed out long motion, Mike had a cannon but inaccurate and slow reads. My two cents (-:

Fun conversation though.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

It is pleasant to have a conversation,rather than yet another shouting match :).Thanks.

Neighbor
    Participant

I don’t much care who the quarterback is, actually. Just think Lehigh players are bright enough to handle more complex schemes and a bigger playbook. I suppose that includes more ability to adjust at halftime with better solutions, too.

Doc Qb
    Participant

TMH, agree. Mayes is not even close to 6’2″. We have some generous dimensions in the program, likely carried over from the HS game programs, where we all used inflated numbers. They list LB Evan Harvey at 6’1″…he’s 5′ 10″. Ar QB we’ve had real 6-3 guys (Harris, Stambaugh), 6-1 guys (Kempa, Sempti, Borda, Lum), six footers (Brant Hall, Bialkowski). They were quarterbacks, thats all that mattered.

Size on D is nice, but just smack people in the chops and be nasty. For Mayes, size or not, he’s got the arm, and has shown he sees the field well…he has ‘it.’

Miller
    Participant

Forget size,it’s about heart,talent and ability to read a D. Lum had a skill of throwing the ball WAY before the break, and it was in the window on time. Colvin and Shaf struggle(d) trusting the play/wr and many times were late getting the ball to wr. If you wait until you see the wr open to throw,it is too late. Mayes,like Lum understands the passing game and its timing. BB had some of this also, but locked in on one wr many times. What impressed me most about Lum,was if nothing was open,he’d throw the ball in the stands,really never trying to force plays. Shaf forced throws early on, but has gotten better about the throwaway. Hope Folmar,like Chick is not afraid to make a tough decision that may lead to 3 great years.

van
    van
    Participant

Shafs biggest improvement this year is throwing the ball away when warranted, he has made really good decisions this year in this regard, based on the little bit we have seen Mayes so far, he seems very confident and does force it into some tight spots

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nick not a pretty passer but,he is a very effective one and a very good QB. He is a nightmare for DCs to gameplan. Brad is truly a classic passer with good vision and a very strong arm. He is progressing very rapidly and well. Dont think we can go wrong with either back there.
    To harp on the real issue,the next three games will be ddcided by our dfense.

TMH
    Participant

Miller,
    I hate to burst your bubble but Lum threw 35 picks in just over 2 years, 17 of them were in his senior season. Just saying.
    Here is an interesting exercise. Compare the productivity of Lum, Colvin, BB, and Shaf in their junior seasons.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Very sneaky TMH :):).Actual facts over rosy dreams of past glories. You know they are not going to be happy with you. :)

footballlady
    Participant

And one more then, I recall reading an article after BB was hurt where Coen called him the most prolific QB in Lehigh football history. Oh, and BB was not the starter in his Jr year so can’t compare that (although he should have been). And yes, fun to have a civil dialog about stuff in the past!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Now,if it was possible to have a civil conversation anout stuff in the present :)

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

Stats are nice and do provide some insight into quality/efficiency/etc., but I think what is lurking beneath the surface of all of this discussion around Shaf and former QBs is the following: the ability to make the big time throw at the crucial moments.

This is where Lum, Stambaugh, etc. excelled, where Colvin, Shaf, JB have not. This is not a stat that can easily be teased out because it is affected by the timing or moment of the game.

It is on this factor that has separated the play and ultimately game outcomes for the various QBs.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

[quote=23268]Stats are nice and do provide some insight into quality/efficiency/etc., but I think what is lurking beneath the surface of all of this discussion around Shaf and former QBs is the following: the ability to make the big time throw at the crucial moments.[/quote]

What game this season came down to Shaf making/missing that “big time throw at the crucial moments”? I can’t think of one.

However, I can think of Shaf getting the ball and putting it through for a touchdown in multiple crucial moments this year. One of them was last week.

Shaf’s season has not been perfect. Most notably, he’s had some key turnovers in spots. But it seems silly to me to question Shaf’s ability to make “the big time throw” when there’s no data to work with.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.