Meet John Ross Glover

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Meet John Ross Glover

This topic contains 34 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Although I read somewhere, that JRG was attempting to transfer without penalty, I agree it would better on so many levels for him to take a year off.

In some ways, he reminds me of CR in that he was a prolific scorer and a very good rebounding guard in HS. CR played his basketball in a less than high caliber area while JRG played his at a relatively low level. Remember that Tennesse breaks it’s divisions down to A, AA, AA , II-A, II-AA. JRG played in the 4th level. One difference is that JRG went to high-exposure camps and CR did not (I think).

My biggest concern however is that he may be a 1 or 2 trick pony. He dunks the basketball and can rebound well for a guard. He has taken very few 3s. He averaged less than 1 assist/g, just slightly more than 1 block/game for a guy with apparently a big vertical leap. He had very few steals. I think he impressed a lot of scouts with his athleticism and jumping ability but I get the feeling he may need to get coached up. CR seems to have a much more well rounded game but he too will likely need a year to acclimate himself to the college game.

On the downside,if JRG does sit out a year, someone will need to replace half of the team in 2017. AP, SW, TK, DC, MS, CR and JRG will all be seniors. Just a thought.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Given twitter acct, would seem to be done on his end.. I’ll trust Doc’s judgment. If all he does is dunk and get ORs and play D, I will be very pleased.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I’m always hesitant on guys who are 6’4/6’5 and dominate down low in high school against what appears to be suspect competition/lack of size.
    I just watched a 7.5 minute long video and I saw about 4 or 5 shots from outside 8 feet away from the hoop. I would have expected given his “pedigree” and high school stats. taht he’d have done better on one of the worst teams in American as a freshman. I guess those are the downsides along with the fact that if he sits out a year you got MS, AP, CR, JRG, SW, and TK in one entire recruiting class….

I think it would be safe to assume we need bigs in the following years class!

TMH
    Participant

Only time will tell LUHoops but perhaps you missed DC if he gets his medical redshirt graduating in the same class.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote:  I believe you can transfer without sitting out if you are enrolled in a specific major and the university drops the major or does not offer specific major. You must show proof the only reason for transfer is based on academics. 

Just took a look at the D2 manual.    Assuming the player gets a waiver from his original school, he can transfer without sitting out IF his original school discontinued his major.      He can’t transfer without sitting out, however, if the school simply doesn’t offer a certain major.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Recall a 6’3 1/2 C that came to LU. Big jumps, couldn’t shoot from outside 10 ft. .He learned. Dont know if Glover anywhere close to Queenan but wouldn’t write him off yet.

TMH
    Participant

Interesting analogy RichH.  Perhaps you may have stumbled on something. I believe JRG was a small forward in HS. It also appears that their forwards played close to the basket. In college, he was asked to play G and perhaps he has never really developed the skill set associated with it. I have been assessing him as a guard in that he is 6-4 but like DQ, he may be better suited to play SF in our system. The big difference however is that in DQ’s era, centers were routinely 6-7. Not so today.
    Again, I look forward to having a lot of questions answered in the years to come.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Definitely can develop, definitely not writing him off, more interesting move by staff to add another 6’4 and under guy to the mix. A year off developing perimter skills won’t hurt either, hope it works out obviously!

LUHoops00
    Participant

Article in Jackson sun paper called it an unrestricted release

TMH
    Participant

LUHoops00,

I think you may be misinterpreting the article. I believe Lipscomb had the opportunity to restrict which schools he can transfer to. Lipscomb chose not to. I have seen several instances where coaches have denied access to schools within their conference e.g. (again I plead ignorance on this :-))

Here is the link to the article

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20130416/SPORTS/304150032/NCAA-BASKETBALL-USJ-s-Glover-headed-Lehigh

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m glad to have him. Hoping he is an energy/defense/o-boards guy off the bench, anything beyond that is gravy. Team playing style always plays into the success of individual players and JRG seems to be implying that he didn’t feel like he fit in at Lipscomb.

BJ Bailey meets Donald Brown (Bucknell)? And before anyone jumps to any conclusions, that is what I am hoping, not expecting.

lehigh90
    Participant

I like this pickup for a couple of reasons.  First, obviously, he did not produce big numbers on a terrible team, BUT, when he got minutes, he showed nice production.

He played 20+ minutes in only 4 games.  In 3 of those 4 games, he went for double figures (12, 13 and 16), and one of those games was against Ole Miss.  It may have been garbage time, but those are nice scoring totals when he got run.  The other impressive thing to me is that in 2 of those 20+ minute double figure scoring games he went 7-8 from the line and 7-9 from the line.  That tells me that this guy is a slasher who likes to attack and challenge at the rim.  Without CJ, BB, and HG next year, this team is lacking in wings who like to slash and attack.  The best we have at that returning is AD, and we all probably agree he is not the answer to that need.  We have plenty of shooters from distance, but in games where your outside game is off, you need guys who can get to the rim and get to the line.  CJ lived at the line in his career.  Maybe this kid can do the same.  Like it, hops and a slasher who plays above the rim.

LU65
    Participant

Like Stabler Bum and 90, I like RRG but for an entirely different reason……..he MAY be a “walk on.” Wouldn’t rule it out.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Hey 65, that would definitely change things. With zero inside information, I doubt he is walking-on, but anything is possible. Are you hinting at something? Or is this pure conjecture?

LU65
    Participant

SB…..Just saying, where is it written that he received an athletic scholarship? Certainly nothing from the administration. Then again, what else is new? After all, we all – or at least many of us- assumed for the longest time that BJ got a free “athletic” ride when in fact he didn’t. If JRG was in need of financial assistance – and I’m not saying he was – there were undoubtedly other programs of aid open to him. Looking back on his first year numbers at Lipscomb, they didn’t rock. Was he a hot commodity at season’s end? I can’t say he was. In housing terms, was it a buyer’s market or a seller’s market when he decided to pull up stakes at Lipscomb? I’m betting the former. Finally, were we so sure of our needs, looking one to two years out, that we would let go of another scholarship at this time? I’m thinking, “no.” Therefore, call it my gut opinion. I have to see it (award of an athletic scholarship) to believe it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.