Michigan State – Game 13

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Michigan State – Game 13

This topic contains 32 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

FYI credit corey and stefan for draining a deep jumper each when we had most of our offense on bench with fouls…huge.

LUHoops00
    Participant

totally off topic and not the time but I think BJ Bailey quit the team….he has been tweeting about being home while he should have been at msu, and just tweeted 5 minutes ago when I;m pretty sure he can’t or shouldn’t be tweeting during a game in whcih he was dressed for….whether he quit or is not on trip, not sure, but he does not appear to be at breslin……more to come i’mm sure.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Gotta be happy up 3 at half without playing particularly well. Getting crushed on the boards. Need all the big 3 – CJ, Gabe, & Holden – to come up big. Holden’s knee is ok.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Gabe missing a lay-upn and then picking up a 4th foul out of frustration is brutal. Mackey doing a great job getting to the line. Need some offense from CJ and Holden. And somebody needs to rebound. Getting doubled up on the boards.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

CJ being extremely careless with the ball. Same thing he did when st. Johns made their run. Falling apart right now. Hard to watch. This isn’t over – get it together fellas.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Pretty frustrating, cause as the ‘ole saying goes, we’ve seen this story before. Lack of size, lack of depth in front court, lack of rebounding vs a legit big conference team and CJ non-existent and a detriment in some cases with bright lights shining. Greiner and Mackey had great games, played with ton of heart/energy/effort.

I know we don’t ever expect to outrebound the best rebouding team of last decade, but that is not the point, this comes right back to what I’ve been preaching about for a year plus now, in that the recruiting strategy from reed with last two classes of CJ era has been a joke. Fact he brought in 3 kids this year under 6’6 is idiotic…especially when class prior outside of KM was small with mackey and bj transfer and anthony d-razz.

Again, the good mid-major teams who win/beat the big name schools can atleast control the defensive boards, not dominate, but control it..not asking to get 15 Off boards, just dont give up 15 second hand shots, or 20+ like tonight….baltimore, is a defense/rebounding guy, not a offensive guy, so why couldn’t we have gotten a 6’8 or 6’9 big who cant score but atleast be a physical body to help down low…..

Nuff soap box, good showing overall, some tough calls mixed in, just frustrated cause we’re so close and it just seems like we haven’t broken through with signature/statement win. We got legit shot to win the league this year,I believe in this team, so don’t take this the wrong way, just frustrated cause we can win a game vs a big team like this, it just all hasn’t fallen into place yet..it will, it will, i believe, i believe…

LUHoops00

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

I was proud of the way Lehigh fought to the end. Could have gotten ugly when down by 15 with about 8 to go, but they made it interesting. Clearly, we could not match them up in the paint and MSU adjusted well at halftime. This game should give them a lot of confidence going into league play.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Super proud of how team played, hung in there and fought hard as you said. Great effort on road in tough environment. Losing by less then double digs on road at msu, can’t ask for much more then that.

Guess my only frustration is I believe this team has the ability to win these games, the talent is there, I’d share no frustration if I didn’t believe in this team and believe they can compete at this level.

Stat of the game – MSU had more Off rebounds then we had Def rebounds.

Merry Xmas, the New Year should prove to be very entertaining for this MHawk club…

LU65
    Participant

Come down of the ledge, guys. So, what did you expect?

Yes, we were no match under the boards, out-rebounded 50 to 31. P.S. So was North Carolina in their game against the Spartans, 49 to 34. I guess you can say Big Ten means "big" in a number of ways. One is certainly body mass. Muscular Payne (230lb), Green (230lb), and Gauna (240lb) had their way our relative light weights: GK, HG, and JH. Put in some beef with Adams and Mineri and watch the fouls mount – JA with 5 and JM with 4. We needed, as preached in this thread, 3’s and plenty of them to compensate for what was bound to be (and turned out to be) a discrepancy in points in the paint (MS +14) and second chance points (MS +13). We got some 3’s to drop (8 to be exact); we need twice that number. And, what with this Free Throw shooting of MSU!? They come into the game last in the Big 10 and hit 32 of 39 for .821 last night. No, CJ didn’t "go off" with 30+ points as many expected/wanted, but give the guy credit, please, for his brilliant assist work (some of the best of the year and 5 last night…highest on the team), rebounds (8….highest on the team again last night), and a not too shabby 5 for 5 from the line. Pretty soon, we’ll be referring to CJ as pg2 behind Mackey who also played extremely well last night (loved that to alley-oop to Holden, the no looker going down the lane late in the game, his speed and his overall deft ball-handling). And, how about CS and SC’s baskets off the dribble? Defenders are still mystified as to where they went. And, they’re both freshmen playing in front of 14,000 enemy fans. As good as they looked, you’d have to say – on the other end of the scale – Jordan Hamilton who looked dazed. Four PFs and goose-eyes across the rest of the box score says it all. Gabe stood his ground and was his usual warrior self – bloodied once, collecting four boards, and 14 points. The story, however, was Holden and his remarkable show of confidence in his shot. Over the past 6 games, he’s averaging 11+ shots/game (had been taking 6 to 7 prior to that) and nailing over half (.507 to be exact) with half of those being 3’s. And, he seems to never tire going 38 minutes last night, 38 against Cornell, 36 against Fordham, 32 against Quinnipiac, and on and on. Guess Coach Izzo had reason to recognize him in his pre-game talks. Soon iron-man Geiner may become the talk of the league.

9 and 4 with St. Peter’s, Bryant, and UMES on the horizon. Got to like it! Following a 3 day break it’s off to Worcester for the opener on January 7th.

LUHoops00, we’re counting on you to bring some bodies to the Hart Center.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is "on the ledge," it just seems that this team is very good, and has an extraordinary opportunity with this junior class to really make some noise. To win some games that could alter fan support and recruiting for years to come. And they seem to be SO close. That’s the only reason I’m frustrated. Of course I know we aren’t "supposed" to beat Michigan State on the road – I just know that it would be great for the program and we are extremely close.

I couldn’t agree more with Hoops that the lack of a big man in this years recruiting class really stings. However, no one could have seen KM’s injury coming. Hopefully he can get healthy soon and start to work on his game for next year when the Big 3 will be seniors.

As for CJ, he played very hard and a good all around game. But, as happened in the SJU game, he can sometimes compound mistakes and get a little careless when things aren’t going his or the team’s way. When the other team is making a run, taking care of the ball only increases in importance and turnovers leading to easy baskets are killer. Also, not to nitpick too much, but many of CJ’s points came in the last 6 minutes. I would not say that he was a huge offensive threat for most of the game.

That may have been Mackey’s best game of the year, and Holden continues to improve and impress. Gabe’s foul trouble really hurt, and the frustration foul after the missed lay-up was a costly mental mistake.

Lastly, I really liked Coach Reed’s fire in this game. You could see both in game and during the news conference that he wasn’t content just to share the floor with MSU. He wanted this win and he wanted it bad.

Hope that the team gets at least one more shot at a BCS scalp in some sort of postseason play.

van
    van
    Participant

I think you gotta give some credit to the defender that CJ was facing. CJ was working hard to get a shot, and he was well defensed. Once he started to go more to the rim he fared better, but the MS bigs were waiting for him too.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Impressed and proud of Lehigh’s game. Frustrating that it was a game that could have been won,if the stars aligned. We are so close at times but clearly outmatched up front. Frosh impressed. Greiner just getting better and better

norcalfan
    Participant

First of all, I was not disappointed, actually pleased with the overall performance. In defense of our "big guys", there is no way that Maneri and Adams could contain these men. Reed seemed pleased with his big men, two of Adams fouls were to stop the clock. Hamilton is a starter, had an off night. I have my thoughts about the senior class and Reed, but let’s move on. Yes, I would love to have won that game, but as someone said earlier, not losing in double digits was great. I also agree that Baltimore, great rebounder, not an offensive guy. I want to give Reed some credit, I know a shocker, but I thought he did a good job coaching last night. Mark that down, I don’t praise him often. Now on the other hand, he did not recruit big men. Counted too much on McCarthy. Coaches need to look ahead. I believe LU can keep in going in the season. Oh yes, what a wonderful opportunity for Greiner to perform in front of his family. Both him and Mackey did well offensively. Happy Holidays to all. :)

LUHoops00
    Participant

FYI – I submit Wagner, yes that Wagner, beating Pitt at Pitt as reason why some of us on here are frustrated losing to a big time team like MSU….because we have the pieces to win a game like that, the talent to do it, just haven’t played 40 minutes of bulletproof ball. It will happen, mark my words, this team will make noise this year and next.

I will be at bryant and hc games, let me know if anyone wants to join me.

LU65
    Participant

OO, you know I luv ya, but we don’t have ALL THE PIECES to win a game like that. I even think Coach Reed would agree with me. Sure our sharp-shooters could have hit another handfull of 3-point shots the other nigth but doubt that would have been enough to counter the rebounding strength and put back ability of the Spartans when on offense. Our "bigs" are just not that big and certainly not the calibre of athlete you see in the Big 10. McCarthy, as much as I like him, would not have made the difference the other night. Maybe someday we’ll land a Big 10-type stud to man the post. But, until then we live with what we got and what we got is good – very good and certainly enought to take us all the way to a PL Championship and perhaps beyond.

Wish I could join you at Bryant on the 31st but a New Year’s matinee is a ‘difficult sell’ around the home here in New Jersey. I will be at St. Peter’s, however, next Wednesday night.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.