MLB Draft

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Baseball MLB Draft

This topic contains 39 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Well, the 7th round has come and gone. Perhaps the 8th.

Miller
    Participant

Did any of the juniors graduate this year(in three years+ summer school?) If not, really need to be taken in the top 8-10 rounds to consider leaving. Nothing wrong with getting drafted higher next season with a degree from Lehigh.

toddcudd
    Participant

Totally agree, Miller. If they’ve not been drafted by now, I think staying and hoping to move up next year is a no-brainer. And we get ’em for another year that way!

LU15
    Participant

LU15
    Participant

Justin Pacchioli got drafted! 10th round( 297 overall) by San Diego!

TMH
    Participant

Congratulations to Justin. I don’t remember seeing any PL players taken before him. I was just looking at the slot money and what the draftees actually got last year and it really is a crap shoot. Slot money for the 10th round is about $137K but only 6 players got 6 figures. most were in the $10K-15K range. Those in HS may get more since they have to lure them from a college schollie.

TMH
    Participant

toddcudd
    Participant

What does the pick value/slot money mean? Some estimate of value of the pick?

TMH
    Participant

todd,
    Yes, that exactly what it means. After examining the chart, in the mid rounds 7-10, about 1/4 of the signees were paid exactly what the slot value said. High school picks could sometimes negotiate a much higher # in order to convince him to give up his college scholarship. College grads were often give a much small signing bonus, knowing that they had no other alternative if they wanted to take this shot at a MLB career but based on the # of draft picks alone, the chance of making th big show is pretty small after the 6-7th round. I’m just amazed that there are about 1,200 kids drafted every year. It seems to take a little bit of the aura out of it.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

QUOTE: “What does the pick value/slot money mean? Some estimate of value of the pick?”

Not exactly. Each spot in each round has a designated slot value under the rules. In total, a team can’t spend more than the sum of the values for all of the picks they sign (unless they want to incur a serious penalty). If they pay one guy more than slot, they have to pay others less – and vice versa. Slot for all picks after Round 10 is $100,000.

The reason some of the 10th rounders got such small bonuses is that teams took mediocre players and/or college seniors with no leverage who they could sign for almost no money – thus creating a larger pool to sign players where they needed extra money.

Note that it is a two-way street for college juniors. Yes, they have the option to return to school. But next year – as a senior with no leverage – they may well have to sign for a lot less than slot. Maybe for $5000. Mike Ahmed of Holy Cross was a 20th round pick his junior year and opted to sign – with that being one of the issues.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks, as always 137, for the clarification. But the smack-downs, I must admit, grow tiresome. I am now required, by my honour, to ask – “What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?”

edit: this was intended as a joke, in case that failed to come across…

TMH
    Participant

I have another question. Is it safe to assume that minor league baseball has a relatively finite # of slots that need to be filled annually. If we infuse about 1,200 new players each year who I assume are all promised a shot, does the system purge itself of about 1,200 bodies every year?

TMH
    Participant

Garzillo, Kulp and Long, all juniors were listed in the top 500 by Baseball America coming into the draft. Garzillo was #201. We are now well past #600 and none of them are even included in the top 40 prospects still available. Is it possible to remove yourself from consideration? Am I the only one that suspects it may have happened?

toddcudd
    Participant

Wondered the same. Maybe they make it known that they intend to stay in school, save the teams the picks?

TMH
    Participant

Mike Garzillo has had a strange junior year (in a good way). He could always hit. This past season, however, he broke McBride’s school record with 16 HRs. That is exactly 16 more HRs than he hit during his freshman and sophomore years combined. No one knows whether that’s an anomaly or not.
    Last year, the scouts came to see Pachioli and in the process found Garz, Kulp and Long. Next year, they will be scouting those 3. If he puts even similar #s up next year, I believe his draft value goes way up. In the meantime he earns a very valuable degree.
    I’m becoming very bullish on Lehigh baseball :-).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.