Monmouth

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Monmouth

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Buddy 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Shore_dad
    Participant

The problem on D is they are forcing the system on the players and not playing a system that reflects the players. There is no true Nose player that I’ve seen play yet this year, no idea who’s on the bench but put in a big strong body already! How can you play a 3-4 with a lightweight playing over center? Newton isn’t a guy that should be putting a hand in the dirt, he’s a Calvin Pace type player. Palma is the only DL I saw that did what a 3-4 DL should be doing, he took up space, took on double teams, shed blocks and made plays. To me this is a team that screams for a 4-3 system.

The LB’s are avg at best, you don’t run a 3-4 system when you don’t have a wide body at nose, you have a LB playing out of position with his hand in the dirt and avg at best LB’s that can’t tackle, don’t stay home and can’t read plays. The secondary is shaky at best, they gave up more plays than they made. I don’t see attention to detail on the defensive side of the ball. The way their playing suggests there is no one teaching proper position, proper technique or reading offensive sets and adjusting.

On offense they need to get a true RB to take the pressure off the QB. You can’t expect the QB to be the lead rusher and also be a 70% passer. If he wasn’t running for his life or yardage the entire game he would have better touch on his balls. Loving 85, this kid is a player but they need more than him or he’s going to draw the focus of the opposing D going forward as no other receivers have been consistent week to week.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by  Shore_dad.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by  Shore_dad.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Welcome aboard dad. Preaching to the choir. 3-4 does not work without a true NG.Guyles is a very agile DE as is Tim. Laub a strongside LB. Fast athletic LBs as ours work very well behind even an avg DL. Palma only decent size DT. The frosh DL will be very good.Expect Cavenas to be getting more PR as he progresses. A weak DL is a cascading problem for back 7. LBs get caught in OL surge and Dbs forced up. While that is a fact ,it fails to explain atricious tackling evident on Sat.
    Shaf is our O right now. Overused by OC way too much. Sodeke is fine and hopefully Yosha back in 3-5 weeks. Pelletier is real and a difference maker. O will,I think be fine. OL s/b sold even with the injuries. I dont see a quick fix for D. Better tackling will help a lit.
    Must remember ,other than UNH, we were in every game against tough teams. If we keep our resolve we’ll do OK in PL. A winning season would be a miracle.

Buddy
    Participant

There are many positives on offense, we are putting points on the board against some very good teams. Worry they are running Shaf to much and he will not last the season, there are three other backs, Rich, Lee and Crawford who can all run the ball well and all have their own style running. We don’t use the fullbacks at all maybe they should send them to defense to help out at LB/DE, shame to have that much talent riding the sideline. Agree O line is playing well even with the injuries.

Over all we have been in every game, expect to do well in the league once a few adjustments are made on defense and some kids get heeled up. Miracles do happen and believe it will happen and we will be in the playoffs.

van
    van
    Participant

Welcome Buddy, glad to have some optimism on the board!

Buddy
    Participant

Van,
    Thanks. Always been a big Lehigh Engineers fan and local guy. There is a lot to be optimistic about, we are very young and very talented we just need a few more monster lineman and we will be good to go! We have been in every game with mostly 2nd and 3rd year players. The future looks bright!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.