Monmouth Game

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Monmouth Game

Tagged: 

This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

MU packed the box and brought pressure that we couldn’t stem. Big arm is nice with time to throw. Shaf very acurrate and quick on sort to medium throws. Works well usually. Did today once OL gave him a chance.

van
    van
    Participant

announcers said someone was ineligible in the first half due to a unsportsmanlike from last game last year, I did not catch the name

toddcudd
    Participant

I think they said that was Julian Lynn; I forgot about that.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

He sure is a big missing player

LehighGuy
    Participant

Really upset about this game. O let us down 1st half. D let us down the 2nd. It was a team effort. Lynn did play, had 2 tackles.

toddcudd
    Participant

Suspension was for 1 half.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Equally disappointed . Lynn only had to sit out half.
    We have lots of stuff to fix.Did not expect O to be ine of them.
    Enough post mortem for me. On to next week.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Like A Boa Constrictor, Monmouth Squeezes Life out of Lehigh In 23-21 Win

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/09/like-boa-constrictor-monmouth-squeezes.html

lehighfootballfan67
    Participant

Monmouth had a great plan. Strong Safety spied on Shaf all game and stopped every run attempt. D-line lined up on our new guards every play so center could only help one of them while bringing some pressure from LB or DB. Guards cut blocked our LBs, our D line made tackles but many were 7 yds down field, and stats say Kauf had 12 solos and Mc only had 1 plus 1 interception. Clearly someone trying to re-write history there. Our SS made at least 12 tackles and Harvey had the other 12.

If camp was extra hard and long, the boys should have been prepared. Lehigh has talent, but appears lack of leadership continues. This is not a high performing program starting with the AD, Head Coach, DC, and OC. The boys do perform but they need to be given the tools. The simplification of the D translates to me as Bott has no ability to explain how to effectively execute the 3-3-5. No different than having a professor that can’t teach, these boys are clearly trying to figure things out on their own. Sad!!

Curious does the administration seek upwArd feedback from the players?? What is their take on the coaches? Clearly most came from high performing teams, schools with great leaders. What do they see? Are they inspired and encouraged to perform? Would love to know and would hope someone like the President would too.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

I have a question regarding the time of possession in the first half. The offense is taking a lot of heat and rightfully so for not sustaining drives.

Why is the defense not taking heat for not getting 3 and outs, getting off the field quickly, and not getting the offense more touches in the first half? If they did, the offense might have been able to turn it around in the first half rather than the second.

If the offense is the overall strength of the team, the defense has to, on occasion, be able to get them the ball back quickly. Maybe then we can wear out the other guys.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree with both posts. Not gonna repeat what I just wrote on the other thread. D issues are not the players. Botts does not seem to embrace the necessity for aggressive play calling necessary for the proper use of the 3-3-5.
    Upward feedback is there through the leadership program Opinion and feedback go in both directions.
    Sterrett runs an excellent program. A bit of a reach to blame him.

NJLehighFan
    Participant

One of the nice surprises of the game was seeing how Mish can really punt the ball. It may be hard for the freshman Punters to take that job from him if he keeps hitting the ball the way he did vs Monmouth. Although I’d hate to see him get hurt and then we don’t have a place kicker.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A luxury that we need. Actually IIR he was a higher ranked P than K in HS

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

After thinking this through, I think I realized the two issues I have that disappointed me the most about yesterday’s game.

1. In both trenches, Mounmouth beat us hands down. The offensive line did better in the second half, but the O line had no answer to Monmouth’s pass rush and Shaf was running for dear life during a lot of those plays. On defense, almost every run play was through the D line for positive yardage. Sacks? Monmouth – 2 for 5 yards (which didn’t account for QB hurries and designed runs that went for loss), Lehigh, 0 for 0 yards. If you lose both trench battles, you’re probably going to lose, period.

2. I always loathe seeing something happen in a game that I warned against in my preview, and “making tackles in space” is the part that makes me curse. I don’t have the YAC numbers for Monmouth’s receivers, but they had to be huge. I don’t think Williams completed a pass over 15 yards in the air – the big receptions came after RB screens or dunks that became big plays later through missed tackles. The D needs to do a much, much better job completing tackles in space and tackling better in general.

LehighGuy
    Participant

I agree lfnadm, I thought lambert or whoever should of played more at the rover position. 17 was getting manhandled on those screens and such, to small. D never adjusted out of the “nickel “. MU wasn’t going deep. Hope O gets it going, if not long yr. Tackling in space was horrible in practice, if you can’t tackle you shouldn’t play.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.