Navy – Game 20 (PL's 7th)

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Navy – Game 20 (PL's 7th)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes

http://lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men%27s%20Basketball/2013-14/20%20-%20Navy.pdf

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/navy/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/012214NavyLehigh.pdf

Kenneth Pomeroy
    LU (8-11, 1-5) 219th
    @
    Navy (7-10, 2-4) 319th
    LU wins 60-57 (73% chance)

KenPom’s Stat of the Day when it comes to Navy: Offensive Efficiency.

Pomeroy defines the raw version as “points scored per 100 offensive possessions.” The adjusted value adjusts for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played (recent games get more weight). Navy weighs in at 88.2 pts/100 possessions and is ranked 349th in the nation in terms of adjusted efficiency. Only two teams rank lower. They are: UNH and Southern Utah. FYI, the leader is Creighton @ 122.8.

LU and Navy’s last two outings are strangely similar.

Final Score LU 42 / HC 61 Navy 41 / CU 63
    FG% LU 29.6% vs HC Navy 29.5% vs CU
    3FG% LU 23.1% vs HC Navy 19.4% vs CU
    Rebounds LU 33 vs HC Navy 33 vs. CU
    First Half Killer Runs: LU gives up a 19-4 run to HC while Navy gives up a 14-0 run to CU
    Postgame Coach Comments
    Reed – “Give a lot of credit to Jesse Chuku, who really attacked the glass and provided a spark for us.”
    DeChellis – “I appreciate our effort on the glass but we just couldn’t make any baskets.”

Nothing has come easy for us since the start of PL play and knowing us I doubt this game will be any different. The Midshipmen are, after all, 6-1 at home this year and have posted “W’s over Bucknell and Lafayette. They also draw well at Alumni Hall. How good in the attendance figure? Don’t ask. It doubles and sometimes triples ours. With fully 2/3rds the season ahead of us, I hate calling any game a “must win,” but this one comes close. A win would jump us into 7th place in the League standings. Admittedly, nothing great but far better than the alternative, especially when it comes to playoff positioning and home court honors to be dealt out in early March.

As always, there’ll be a full slate of games available on Campus Insider beginning at 7pm. There is one exception, however. That’s the battle for first place between 6-0 BU and 6-0 AU. It should be good. It tips at 7:30pm.

http://www.campusinsiders.com/live

LU @ Navy
    Army @ CU
    LC @ HC
    Loyola @ Bucknell
    BU @ AU

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Watching the game on Livestream. What has happened to Chuku? He’s been invisible for a few weeks now.

At this point Navy is 11-40 from the field and up 3. I’m not sure how that is possible.

LUHoops00
    Participant

No clue but he’s one of the guys that taken step backwards of late

LUHoops00
    Participant

Ap having rough game with turnovers and blanks from deep this far

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Am thankful to have a defibrilltor right next to computer.Bout time we won one of these. That said,Navy not a good team. So many unforced TOs by us.

van
    van
    Participant

wonder what the + – is with SW on the court. O just seems lost when he is out there.

van
    van
    Participant

Oh, and a breakout game for SC, even held his own on D, although maybe that had more to do with Navy O.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

SC shot great and was the difference maker in the 2nd half.

A lot of bad turnovers from the backcourt, mostly MM and CS. I really like Shane’s vision, he made some great passes tonight, and brings some really unique skills to the table for us. Kempton was great in the second half as well.

Rebounding in the last few minutes and overtime was brutal again. There has to be more urgency there. AP had a very rough night not knocking down shots and some other mistakes on both ends of the floor. The defense in the 2nd half was not great. Some of those threes we gave up were wide open.

Jesse made some big plays down the stretch with his D, rebounding, and free throws. We still have to get him back in the game after these past few weeks.

Overall, good to get a win even if it was ugly!

toddcudd
    Participant

I will continue to beat my personal dead horse. JG is now shooting .739 from the field; 34 of 46. Freakin’ insane.

I was really happy to see SC feeling his stroke again, had a really nice game. I’m definitely missing something on the broad criticism of his D – I’m just not seeing it. But I’m first to admit I don’t have the trained eye. What I do see is him using his size to his advantage; no easy jumpers in front of him, and he gets boards.

LU65
    Participant

On a night when three of our regulars (CS, AP, and JC) clearly didn’t have it going a combined 1 for 15 from the field, it took stellar play from two off the bench, JG and SC, to pull this one out. The pair combined for 27 pts. on 10 for 12 shooting and 11 boards. Sure, MM and TK did their parts and, for the most part, did them well but you got the feeling from watching this team and others this year that it’s going to take heroics from one or two others each night to make it through the year.

Love, love, love JG’s play. And, he didn’t commit a pf last night in 20 minutes of playing time. That extends his careful but effective play to just 2 PFs in the last three games covering 60+ minutes. He had committed a combined 8 vs. Army and Loyola before that. Justin has also hit his stride from the free throw line of late, going 11 for 14 in PL play. What’s not to like about the big guy who runs the floor better than most and hits over 70% of his shots?

Here’s an idea, before each game tell Stefan that we’re playing Navy tonight. Last year, the Canadian dropped a total of 30 pts. on the Midshipmen in his two 26 minute appearances.Watching him perform last night, I couldn’t help but wonder what might have been had both he and AD been healthy from Day One. Unless there’s a medical redshirt in the offing for AD, I doubt we’ll see the two together again. Apparently, we’ll have the pleasure of Stefan’s company, however, for one more year. Perform like he did last night and there should be quite a bottleneck at the guard spot come playing time next year. Another coaching challenge but one Reed may be glad to embrace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.