Navy: PL Game 7

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Navy: PL Game 7

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes

Lehigh’s

http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men's%20Basketball/2016-17/18%20-%20Lehigh%20at%20Navy%20notes%20011817.pdf

Navy’s

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/navy/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release.pdf

KenPom Rankings and Prediction

Lehigh (10-7, 4-2) Ranked 91st (highest point in the year)
    @
    Navy (8-10, 3-3) Ranked 225th
    Lehigh wins by 5 (73-68)

PL Race
    In the wake of Loyola’s win over Boston U. last night, the race has tightened now to the point where 6 of the 10 entries are playing .500 or greater ball. And, were BU and Bucky to each come up empty tomorrow night – while Lehigh gets a “W” on the road over Navy – we’d be looking at a 3-way tie at the top of the League with Bucky, BU and LU all sporting 5-2 records with 11 games to go. This is truly an early season treat for the PL sports fan. All games get underway at 7pm tomorrow night on PLN?

Before we pencil-in a “W,” let’s remember that Navy……….

has won – in convincing fashion – their last three in a row (12 over CU, 13 over Loyola, and 37 over LC) while yielding an average of just 56ppg.

gave Bucky a good game in the season opener, losing by just four.

has seldom – if ever – laid down for anyone and been trouble of us in recent history. While we won each encounter last year, the spreads were by 3 @ Navy and 2 @ home.

and their home gym is not one of TK’s favorite places to play. At least, it doesn’t appear to be, with the big guy going 3 for 10 (10 points) last year and 4 of 11 (12 points) the year before.

is one of the nation’s top teams at forcing turnovers – something that has too often plagued us this year. They do it 23.6% of the time. But, as KenPom reports, they’re equally bad at giving the ball up while on offense.

Question remains, “Can we keep it up?”

Like Navy, we go into the game riding a 3-game winning streak during which, we too, have put up some impressive numbers – both in shooting and rebounding the ball. Here’s hoping momentum is on our side tomorrow night.

FG% .513
    3FG% .488
    FT% .783
    Rebounding: 35/game to Opponent’s 25/game

Final Thought
    We had high hopes of seeing more “bigs” than ever before darting in and out of the lineup in the days leading up to the season’s opening tip. It’s now clear that many – if not all – are injured and resigned to riding the bench. What would have it been like to see CS, JL and JW play and give, at a minimum, much needed rest to Tim, Pat and Matt? Playing eight – game in and game out – as we so often do (5 of 6 PL games to date), can too often spell disaster. Awarding more minutes to a player, who under normal (full bench) conditions does not deserve them, spells trouble. So too, does forming mismatches in height out of necessity often lead to defeat. Yeah, “in game” player-management will certainly test Reed and Co going forward. It could be the key to winning or losing it all in March.

van
    van
    Participant

agree with your final thought, would like to see Devon get some more minutes, Navy no push over regardless of their KenPom number

travism
    travism
    Participant

This team is really starting to get to me. Can’t score a basket for over 11 mins. Coming off two huge wins we can’t get it done tonight. Granted navy is no pushover but really. Time to hit the panic button. Be nice if we had a guy or two who could spell Tim. Guy that dresses can’t see the court. And every other big is hurt.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Does our coaching staff no how to make in game adjustments. Or maybe change the game plan. I just don’t get it. I really don’t. This is inexcusable

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Damn another fade out by team sitting on double digit to go down by 8 and then the frenetic close out to lose another close game. Fatigue? Failure to adapt? What the hell is ir?. We cannot seem to get a string of Ws.
    Doc has never bern much of a game coach. But, gedz try something other than lectures Doc to focus this bunch for a whole game.

van
    van
    Participant

don’t put this one on the coaches, guys just let Navy hang around and then couldn’t make their foul shots

travism
    travism
    Participant

im not saying it’s fully on Brett. But when does he get some blame. I mean this is a bad loss. The Loyola game another. We now have no room to breath. Have to win win win. If we would run the offense through Tim in the paint more would open up for other players. Bad loss. Two huge wins, to play like this ?????

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Awful performance against a subpar team. Should have been a blowout. Got beaten by Navy’s bench.

When LU is hot, they’re hot. When they’re cold, they’re not watchable.

I’ll keep my mouth shut about individuals. Hard to find a lot of good things to say.

This team needs a psych checkup and/or mental coach. They’re better than they think; need to have more fun, be more consistent.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by sundayamqb sundayamqb.
    travism
    travism
    Participant

Van. They didn’t hit a fg in 11 mins lol. Why not call timeouts. Try new stuff. Draw something else up. Try and get an easy bucket or two. i believe I counted about 5 traveling calls on us. 2-3 being on a sr guard. Dumb mistakes, not going inside more to Tim, and laying off the gas kills us

travism
    travism
    Participant

U said it Sunday

van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=30437]Van. They didn’t hit a fg in 11 mins lol. Why not call timeouts. Try new stuff. Draw something else up. Try and get an easy bucket or two. i believe I counted about 5 traveling calls on us. 2-3 being on a sr guard. Dumb mistakes, not going inside more to Tim, and laying off the gas kills us

[/quote]yeah, hard to make a field goal when you’re at the free throw line, and Brett used all his time outs

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

True enuf van but s/n habe come to that. We had a double digit lead and team goes to sleep. Gets to 2 minutes we wake up close the gap to lose yet another close game. A bad habit we cant seem to break. No excuses for this one or Loyola. We have the players but team lacks something. Its like they are waiting to playiffs to put together a winning streak. This is a veteran team who knows what it takes to win but wont do it consistently. Disappointing.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Very disappointing. I wish we had one other big guy to spell Tim. This team needs to wake up and start playing. Can’t wait till march

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

We won the stats save FTs. N had 17 pts there us 10.
    Timing of our TOs is thus L.

LU65
    Participant

Might as well join the chorus of “Boo’s.’ This one stunk. To think, had our final “3” gone in we would have won. Now that would be unfair. The Middies deserved this one and we deserved what we got….embarrassed. How to you teach “killer instinct?” That’s the question for Reed and Co. this week.

As for the “Big Picture”and to make matters worse, we couldn’t take advantage of BU’s unexpected loss to Colgate last night. It dropped the Terriers to 5-2….just what we had hoped for but had no business expecting. In other action, Bucky held up their end of the bargain by beating Loyola and now sits at 6-1. Looking down the road (always a dangerous thing to do, I know), I do think we can take Bucky when they come to Stabler but now wonder who, if anyone, will give The Bison another “L.” Of course, all that means is we must keep winning and not drop another and hope along the way that HC and Navy pick up another loss. Isn’t tracking this PL madness a lot of fun each year?

See you on Saturday night.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.