New Assistant Coach Needed?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball New Assistant Coach Needed?

This topic contains 39 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

SB, I’m interested to know why you feel that way. I hope he turns out to be a terrific find however this is what I see right now.

First, I think there is a bit of a disconnect between the team and the local community (hance lack of fan support). He grew up in the Lehigh Valley, and on the rare occassion that there is a high academic D1 player coming out of the valley, I think he should go to Lehigh. Griffin should help with that, and we are currently recruiting a senior from CCHS.

Second, he was an excellent player that had injury problems but I don’t think that has a lot of bearing in this situation. Jumping around as a player is never a good thing, but it helps for a coach to have played under so many different styles/coaches and to take a bit from each.

Third, his job at the hoopgroup was to put together “team events” which I believe are tournaments, showcases, etc between actual high school teams and not AAU. What this means is that he should have a full rolodex of all the coaches of the top high school teams in the mid-atlantic. Thr private schools that pump D1 guys out every year. That is huge to me. If those coaches know/trust Griffin, that seems like it could pay dividends down the line.

TMH
    Participant

SB…I always respect your opinion and I hope you are spot on but you may have been mislead about the local connection. As I recall, Kyle was one of three freshmen starting on the CCHS basketball team. There was significant anticipation of a run at the State Championships in a few years. He was transferred after that freshman year to GA. I remember some public animosity about the move. He hasn’t really been back since.

I absolutely agree about the disconnect but unfortunately the Lehigh Valley has never been a Mecca for boy’s basketball. Finding an athletic/academic match has been fairly futile since Mike Polaha. Brian Hunter was POY in the LV and was a walk-on for a year before transferring. We briefly pursued Noack and Husek this year but offered neither of them.

Sue Troyan however has made the most of her CCHS connections recently though. :-)

I look forward to KG’s run here though and wish him the best of luck.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

SB…I always respect your opinion and I hope you are spot on but you may have been mislead about the local connection

I grew up playing against Kyle in youth leagues in the Lehigh Valley. It’s true he didn’t graduate high school in the valley, but he still has family, friends, and connections throughout. He also was the organizer of the HoopGroup event at Parkland for the last few years that involves multiple area teams. I know the talent level in the Lehigh Valley isn’t great, but Kyle is definitely significantly more connected to the local area than a Antoni Wyche or Ryan Kreuger. Not saying it is a huge bonus, I am much more optimistic about his HoopGroup network than his LV roots.

TMH
    Participant

SB,
    That caught me off guard :-). For some reason, I thought you were much older than 24. My son is the same age as you and Kyle. He played AAU until about age 16 also out of the LV. I never kept track of names when he was young but perhaps you may have played against him too. Small world.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Sbum – I agree with TMH, you being 24/25 years old is the shocker of all shockers, for some reason I had you pegged for 50’s!!!
    Regarding Griffin hire, I just give benefit of the doubt to Reed on this one, I mean it is not like he “rushed” into the hire!!!! KIDDING cause I care. But I do have my questions, as Griffin is a young kid, and although he planned hoop group events, how much real coaching or life experiences does he have to share with the players? How many contacts and how deep could those contacts be after having only worked there for a year or two. I guess those are my big concerns, I’m also not sure how he is more qualified than Knight to be an assistant, as Joe was the superior player and played overseas for a full years, and wore the uniform….all sellable assets in recruiting.

However, this kid is probably an up and comer in coaching circles and has contacts, and Reed must like him so I’m fine with it.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I, am thankful that we have some non-geriatric posters here. Keep all you old farts current.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Haha, sorry to dissappoint you guys. I’m actually 27 and played against Kyle mostly in open gyms and summer events.

As for making Kyle a coach instead of Joe Knight, I think that it is because Kyle has been on a track to get into coaching (Holy Cross also hired a Hoop Group staffer this summer, so it is an established pathway to a D1 bench). Joe Knight was doing some AAU and player development work, but also had a full time job with Boy Scouts of America, whereas Kyle was working in hoops full time.

LU65
    Participant

I’m with Hoops00 on this one. While I’m not privvy to the LU DBO Job Posting, I did, however, take the time to read the recent DBO postings of UofC Berkeley, U. of Maryland, and Cal. State University. I came away thinking maybe – just maybe – we got the roles reversed. Might Knight not have been a better choice for Assistant and Griffin a better match for DBO? The latter apparently demands someone with keen managerial/logistic/administrative talents – something Griffin seems to have plenty of. Hey, it’s just one OLD man’s opinion.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

The latter apparently demands someone with keen managerial/logistic/administrative talents – something Griffin seems to have plenty of.

I totally see where you are coming from ’65 but for most programs the DBO is the entry level post and lowest man on the totem pole regardless of duties. My hunch is that these guys get a lot of help on travel and other logistics from other parts of their Athletic Departments, and focus on more program related matters, but I could be wrong. Almost every program in the country (notable exception being Iowa) has a very young, aspiring coach as their DBO. Almost like working in the mailroom.

By virtue of his work with the Hoop Group I think Griffin had a stronger resume than Knight in coaching circles. Also, we don’t know what Ott’s specific responsibilities were and if they were a better fit for Griffin or Knight. If Knight sticks around for a year or two, he will move up to an assistant spot.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SBum, listen young man(kidding), I hear you on the path that hoop group provides and aware of HC going that route earlier this year, just wondering why Knight wasn’t a better fit for what we need, that’s all. I would think our players would be more incline to listen to a older guy, who was a better player, played pro ball, and walked the same campus and faces same challenges that they are facing. Those are the reasons why when presented with a Griffin vs Knighy decision, without knowing either of them I am shocked we went Griffin.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.