NEW OC

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football NEW OC

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Miller 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

per Matt Markus LU to announce in about 45 minutes ,a little before 8 pm

TMH
    Participant

It appears to be Kutztown HC Drew Folmar.
    As I said in an earlier post, who can argue with an OC who averaged about 40 ppg during his time at the helm. Welcome aboard.

Here is an article from when he was named HC at Kutztown.

Meet the new/old face of football: Head Coach Drew Folmar

TMH
    Participant

Here are some other coaching changes and Lehigh’s PR on Folmar

http://www.lehighsports.com/news/2014/1/22/FB_0122144230.aspx

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Heard the same last week but want the wait over particularly before this wkend.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

It is Folmar. Good choice. Thank God thats over

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ok, what is a run game coordinator. Glad Sawyer got promo. Defense changes? Perhaps all in house with Botts

Kramer
    Kramer
    Participant

I was wondering what a run game coordinator was, too.

TMH
    Participant

Actually, run game coordinator is not completely new. LSU, Auburn, Stanford and recently the Ravens have adopted the position. It seems to usually be manned by the OL Coach who coordinates the play of the offensive line and running back, experimenting on which plays work best with the personnel they have. When a running play is called for, he should be consulted.
    Folmar is a former QB and QB Coach as well as OC. I suspect that is his forte in the development process. Sawyer will fill in the holes.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks TMH. Makes sense w your explanation.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by RichH RichH.
    ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Folmar, on paper and as reported as to his personality, seems to be a very good choice. Focusing on coaching up the QB’s. Mechanics and reading defense critical. I see the Sawyer thing as a way of giving him a promotion. I don’t see much changing there. It’s football not the National Security Council where every decision has to be vetted and analyzed. If it’s working, keep hammering them with it. Wish Yosha and Brown and maybe Kee, we could have a fairly good triumvirent in the backfield. Lots of options with the WRs–especially some of the recruits named and last year’s class. Time to shine.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

As an added thought, keep in mind the new OL assistant coach–he was a RB, and a very good one, at Gettysburg. So there will be alot of ‘care and feeding ‘ of the running game as well.

TMH
    Participant

ngineer,
    You are likely far more astute than I am on these issues but I always wondered how much coordination there was between the the OL coach and the running backs coach. In today’s ever more complicated and fluid schemes, it is not simply calling a play, the lineman opening a hole and the RB running through it. As defenses change, blocking schemes need to change, the RB may need to change his direction or timing accordingly. Under Chick, the emphasis was always on the passing game. With Folmar, that emphasis should remain the same but I would not mind seeing more 1,000 yd rushers coming out of Lehigh.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Given his background, doesn’t appear that LU O will change overmuch. Think it will be great for Nick to continue to learn from another QB coach. Air Lehigh does not preclude 1000 yd rushers,we’ve had many over the years. Brown,Yosha and Kee should blossom in our system. Key for me is stability and depth on OL. Sawyer has done a great job recruiting and molding a very good unit.
    My question ( repeated ad nauseum ), can our D be fixed.

Lehigh74
    Participant

That is the million dollar question. If our defense doesn’t improve we are not going anywhere. It was so bad last year that it shouldn’t be difficult to generate some improvement. I really think we need to make some coaching changes. Let’s see what Andy does on the defensive side of the ball.

Miller
    Participant

Wilcher got blindsided(seemed to be the last one to know he lost his job,only after he got used to get a few of his recruits committed) and Roberts looks like the man on D. There is more returning talent on D, and if the D is the problem next season that would surprise me. When you lose ALL your weapons and get a new OC,lets hope the offense jells and learns quick. With all the D coaching spots open…………If we really wanted to take the next step forward after losing Kotulski, bring Sanders back as DC. Sanders IS the best recruiter and motivator Lehigh has had in many years. Probably will never happen, but really look forward to next season,and will be in the stands for JMU.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.