New offer for '17

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball New offer for '17

This topic contains 125 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Just watched these highlights – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1YFqqD6po8.

Like most bigs at this level he looks like a bit of a project, but he has a huge frame and wingspan, and it looks like he moves pretty well for his size. Long Beach Poly is also one of the best athletic high schools in the nation and Johnson has been playing excellent high school competition in SoCal. His lack of offers is a bit of a mystery – and while he missed most of his jr season with injury- there isn’t much about his performance over the summer in AAU ball.

Makes sense to prioritize another big given the injury concerns with Sedore (and Lieb to a lesser extent).

TMH
    Participant

At first glance, I really like this young man. Although it would be incredible to find another Tim Kempton, Lehigh doesn’t need a big scoring presence in the middle. They have an abundance of scorers for the foreseeable future. I want a guy there who will create havoc defensively and is not afraid to grab rebounds. Johnson seems to fit that role.

ESPN rates him as the #52 C in the country and the #28 player in California.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/204041/myles-johnson

Fullctpress has him ranked in the top 20 players in southern CA (11-20). We’ve done very well recently recruiting similarly ranked players from that area in Leufroy and Cohen.

I think his recruitment has been low for several reasons.
    1.)Basketball recruitment peaks in the player’s junior year which was lost to the patella injury.
    2.)He’s been very vocal about finding a school with high academics too particularly in engineering.
    3.)When playing for a top tier program, players often have production stymied by the players in front of them. Cohen is a perfect example.

lehigh90
    Participant

Agree, he is a project. He appears to need to get in better physical condition to play at the D1 level. But, he’s long and 3 star recruit, and we need bigs.

TMH
    Participant

I have long ago stopped trying to figure out our scholarship situation but Reed seemed to have ended his 2017 recruiting with our 2 signings. Is there a possibility that CS has hung it up. Has anyone seen him on crutches? Could he even be back by the beginning of next season? Simply conjecture but Johnson is the first hint of 2017 recruiting I’ve seen in a while.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

I’ve seen CS at home games. He walks slowly but no cast. He may be wearing a knee brace. No outward signs of cast. One puzzler was no sign of JW, the 6’10” walk-on at the St. Francis game. He would have gotten several minutes in the blowout but was not in attendance.

Also at that game scuttle-butt was that JL was seen shooting and moving around well before the doors opened. Talk is he will be available after 12/31/16.

TMH
    Participant

Coach confirmed to me that his recruiting is not done done for 2017. There was a 6-10 recruit on campus this weekend. I’m not sure who though.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good news. Best MRI his knees.:)

toddcudd
    Participant

[quote quote=30490]Good news. Best MRI his knees.:)[/quote]

+1000

ccsmiles5
    Participant

Recruit was Myles Johnson. As previously noted loss of Jr. Year seriously hurt recruitment. Starting to hear from bigger schools as current season progresses. Big, long and true back-to-basket player. Due to complete lack of a big with any minutes played next year definitely worth the risk if it’s a risk at all. Good character, great grades “bigs” are hard to find anywhere. Go Lehigh!

marco
    marco
    Participant

A David Robinson, CJ type- “Late bloomer”.

Myles Johnson: A standout on the court and in the classroom

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks cc. Welcome.
    Figured it had to be Myles after going over our 17 list. Great young man. Hope Lehigh is the right fit for him

van
    van
    Participant

if he is still looking for a school with a top engineering program and good basketball, he found it in Bethlehem and he would get a lot of playing time as a frosh

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

No idea if either party is still interested, but big man Salisu Yahaya from Kahron’s high school will be doing a prep year and reclassifying to the class of ’18.

Wes Swift‏ @coachwesswift Mar 15
    Happy to announce that ’17, 6’7 F Salisu Yahaya will reclass 2018 n attend Link Year Prep in Branson,MO this fall! @JBHurricaneBB @_ARHoops

lehigh90
    Participant

Too bad on Yahaya.

Hopefully, Johnson still option. Looks uncommitted still.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Bethlehem catholic Ryan young 18. Got his first offer from Lafayette. I Believe Lehigh is interested. Seen a few coaches at his games. Would be a good fit here in a year or two.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.